Winding Barbed Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
I've got 10 acres of five strand barbed wire I'd like to move to another pasture for cross fencing. I'm just not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a really old wire roller. Couldn't tell you where it came from other than the phone company many years ago.

Here is one way.

1. Take an old steel car wheel and weld some 1 inch x 3/16 flat steel on the sides so it protrudes up parallel to the wheel. These will guide the wire onto the wheel. Usually four on each side is good.
2. Weld or bolt a handle off-center to crank the wire on with.
3. If you have an old axle with a hub from a trailer or something to mount the wheel on it sure will make winding up wire easier. Just find an old boat axle and cut it in half so you can use the hub to mount the wheel on.

I sure the brains on here will have other methods too.

1. Take an old steel car wheel and weld some 1 inch x 3/16 flat steel on the sides so it protrudes up parallel to the wheel. These will guide the wire onto the wheel. Usually four on each side is good.
2. Weld or bolt a handle off-center to crank the wire on with.
3. If you have an old axle with a hub from a trailer or something to mount the wheel on it sure will make winding up wire easier. Just find an old boat axle and cut it in half so you can use the hub to mount the wheel on.

I sure the brains on here will have other methods too.

Oh hoh!! I think you are on to something here. Sitting out in a field is an old Ford 532 baler axle with two shreaded tires still attached. I took the rest to the scrap metal dealer. Looks like a two strand wire winder in the making (I'll just drape the thing across my loader).

Thanks

i had the same thought about the wheel too at one time but i couldn't figure out how to remove the wire once it is wound up on the wheel, you will need something that is split in the middle that you can take apart after you wind the wire up on it, i have seen some in the tractor supply catalog not sure of the price shouldn't be too expensive

Someone needs to invent a wire roller that looks and works similar to a bush hog. :lol:

They seem to find every scrap...................

MikeC":18vtkyd8 said:
Someone needs to invent a wire roller that looks and works similar to a bush hog. :lol:

They have, it's called a brush hog! Now if they could come up with an easy way to unwide a couple of hundred feet of wire from them.....................

dun":xkndrmcb said:
MikeC":xkndrmcb said:

They have, it's called a brush hog! Now if they could come up with an easy way to unwide a couple of hundred feet of wire from them.....................

My unwinder runs off of acetylene and oxygen.

cfpinz

cfpinz":6ymgks37 said:
dun":6ymgks37 said:
MikeC":6ymgks37 said:

cfpinz

I've got one just like it

I bought an electric fence winder from TSC. It has 4 L's on it that you turn inward to get the wire off. I welded a pipe on it and drilled a hole through it to fit my post hole drill motor. After beefing up the L's it worked great. It has a point that you push in the ground to keep it stable. After winding take tie wire and secure roll together. Tie an old window weight to the end of wire while coiling. I rolled up 33,000 feet useing this thing and it was cheap.

cfpinz":3khrpk25 said:
dun":3khrpk25 said:
MikeC":3khrpk25 said:

cfpinz

:lol: :lol:

Mine's not nearly as fancy.. It's red, with two long handles and a hardened steel jaw. :help:

Best way for me to roll wire is to stretch it out with one end tied. Start a 3 to 3 1/2 foot diameter loop and roll about 8 to 10 loops in that roll. Then tie that spool with tie wire. That serves as the form. From there, just roll it all up and untie the end. Tie the roll when done. This is for wire that was stretched taught already. Unroll it at the new location in reverse. No kinks or fights. Stretch it on the new posts and secure it.

Weld a piece of 2" oil field pipe between two used disc blades with the curve facing outwards and you got yourself a handy spool to wind the wire on.

Mount that spool on a piece of suckerrod between the deweze arms or some other fashion and you can unroll it just as well.

If it is barb wire, while you are driving to unroll, have someone put pressure on the spool with a 1x6 piece of scrap lumber and this prohibits the spool from unwinding to fast.

Latest posts