Anyone got the Harbor Freight wire welder?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
They have a cheap 90 amp flux core wire welder. I got a project that I can't get to my stick welder, extending my leads or making a extension cord for the welder are not cheap. I thought for a $100 I might be able to tack what needs to be welded then I could take it off and weld it with my stick welder. Doubtful I could ever get things lined up without tacking it to have everything lined up.

Once in a while I need to repair a hay ring or something thin, always wanted a wire welder for thin stuff. If the Harbor Freight one would do a job like that once in a while it would be worth a $100.

Been considering a Hobart Handler 210 MVP or Handler 140. Just working on a budget.

Yes I have one it works very good for tacking and thin sheet metal. The flux core does splatter alot. I use mine quite often just as you describe needing one. I have used probably 10 rolls of wire in it and it still works well.

I have to move the welder around to work in different parts of the shop. I made a power (extension) cord 75 foot long that is wored straight into the breaker box and with a receptacle for the welder at the other end. Works slick. I also use it with the generator . Have a short adapter that goes from the generator to the cord for the welder. That way I can run the genrator outside and not worry about exhaust fumes in the shop

depends on what you are welding. I have used one on some pretty thick stuff. Crank the heat and have a side grinder, it works pretty well.

dun":2hynwzg8 said:
I have to move the welder around to work in different parts of the shop. I made a power (extension) cord 75 foot long that is wored straight into the breaker box and with a receptacle for the welder at the other end. Works slick. I also use it with the generator . Have a short adapter that goes from the generator to the cord for the welder. That way I can run the genrator outside and not worry about exhaust fumes in the shop
That is one thing I have considered doing. Thought about the small wire welder for light stuff also.

Dun you feeling better?

tom4018":370xnk7y said:
dun":370xnk7y said:
That is one thing I have considered doing. Thought about the small wire welder for light stuff also.

Dun you feeling better?
A little, but percocet will do that for you when vicodin doesn;t work

dun":29zv453n said:
LOL, toughest part is when there is no pain remembering that you can't do any lifting. One reason I was looking for a easy solution to finish this repair. Big welder will be heavier to move even if I made me a cord. Wife could set the little welder out there for me. Got to go back to work on light duty tomorrow, still have a 10 pound weight limit for 3 more weeks.

tom4018":1b4k8i40 said:
dun":1b4k8i40 said:
LOL, toughest part is when there is no pain remembering that you can't do any lifting. One reason I was looking for a easy solution to finish this repair. Big welder will be heavier to move even if I made me a cord. Wife could set the little welder out there for me. Got to go back to work on light duty tomorrow, still have a 10 pound weight limit for 3 more weeks.
My Lincoln is on wheels

No I don't have anything from Harbor Freight. Had a couple of things for a week or two but they broke and I threw them away. I don't buy anything from them anymore. Didn't we just go through the 110V welder thing a couple of weeks ago?

I have one as well it works great the main thing to remember is the duty cycle. just give it a break after 7 or 8 beads and let it cool down for a minute.I've had it for 5 or 6 years and it is perfect for those small jobs. I used one of those 20 percent off coupon that they put in all the magazines and got mine for 80 bucks

tripleBfarms":3rrje4vd said:
I have one as well it works great the main thing to remember is the duty cycle. just give it a break after 7 or 8 beads and let it cool down for a minute.I've had it for 5 or 6 years and it is perfect for those small jobs. I used one of those 20 percent off coupon that they put in all the magazines and got mine for 80 bucks
Does it do ok on things such as a hay ring?

tom4018":1mb3bi88 said:
tripleBfarms":1mb3bi88 said:

yes - hay rings , exhaust pipes , stamped mower decks , sheet metal , etc .

tripleBfarms":1lg8ex46 said:
I have one as well it works great the main thing to remember is the duty cycle. just give it a break after 7 or 8 beads and let it cool down for a minute.

That is what most people don't realize. Those little things aren't 100% duty cycle. Use them for how they are designed and they aren't to bad. MIG in nature isn't good for dirty/rusty metal, but can get the job done with a little prep work.

tom4018":18bft10e said:
tripleBfarms":18bft10e said:

Yes, I've welded a bunch of hay rings up with it. Is perfect for light stuff like that.

Latest posts