Will they breed right after meeting?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
If I hauled my heifer to a bull late in her heat, would they breed in a few minutes so I could bring her home right away, or do they need time for courting?
She's real gentle and halter broke, etc.

When I was a kid in the 60's there was 3 guys in the area who had an ad in the paper. It simply said Bulls and a phone number. For about $5 they would bring a bull over when your cow was in heat. Have a 20-30 foot rope off the bull's nose ring. The bull would breed the cow in a couple minutes. They would load him back up and leave. Slam bam thank you. In that area at that time there was a lot of people with just a cow or two.

If I hauled my heifer to a bull late in her heat, would they breed in a few minutes so I could bring her home right away, or do they need time for courting?
They're animals. IF you deliver her when she is in standing heat 94% chance you'll be on your way home in under an hour.

More likely than not, you won't be there terribly long if she's at the right point. Do you know the bull's owner?

More likely than not, you won't be there terribly long if she's at the right point. Do you know the bull's owner?
Doesn't matter, she's halter broke, just drive till ya see a bull you like, open the gate tie her to the bumper and done and gone before owner knows. :) lol

In theory it is entirely possible.

I dropped Big Sexy off last year, came back with a bale of hay about an hour later, and witnessed him breeding Rebel.

So yes.
It can happen!

Lmao. Whatever you got to do to get it done. Some folks are going to have to get creative, with the number of bulls bound for a bag of Jack Links right now, they might not be so cheap next season.

I had a cow that always came into heat on a Friday the same day my buddy always moved his bulls. Many times he swang by let the bull out and left in 30 minutes. On to another pasture, $25 and I never fed him.

What difference does that make Butch? Being animals.

Ken
Really Ken? You've never heard of Freud's theory of animalistic drive on what motivates animal behavior. Food, water, reproduction, shelter, migratory behavior.

That animals have a base desire to reproduce (later discovered to be controlled by hormones) no matter what obstacles are placed in the way.
Courtship only matters when there is more than one individual competing for a female's attention.

Last edited:
When I was a kid in the 60's there was 3 guys in the area who had an ad in the paper. It simply said Bulls and a phone number. For about $5 they would bring a bull over when your cow was in heat. Have a 20-30 foot rope off the bull's nose ring. The bull would breed the cow in a couple minutes. They would load him back up and leave. Slam bam thank you. In that area at that time there was a lot of people with just a cow or two.
The same thing happens with horses. When we were breeding studs to mares, you never left an animal for an extended period. We arrived, got the job done and left.

Bought 5 bred heifers from a fellow a few years back . After I got them to the farm 1 came back in heat . So I called him and he said come get the bull . So the next morning I went back to his farm and got him . As soon as I let him off the trailer he walked over and bred her . I could of loaded him back up and carried him back home ! I kept him for 21 days but she never came back into heat .

Last year i had a cow in first heat after calving, chucked a halter on her and walked her down to the paddock bull was in, fair dinkum we were 300m off and he looked up and came sprinting to us, jumped her before i could untie her. So we turned around and went back from where we came. She is due next month.

Doesn't matter, she's halter broke, just drive till ya see a bull you like, open the gate tie her to the bumper and done and gone before owner knows. :) lol
I don't have a specific bull in mind - have a few for sale/rent on craigslist thought I'd call. I'm guessing virgin bull might be more shy than a "proven" one, but maybe less chance of disease?

I just have the one heifer. Been doing AI on backyard cow or two for 15 years, batting over 90%, but last few haven't worked on this heifer - timing was good, end of standing heat. Used two different bull's semen - it is stuff I ordered in 2011, and held by a dairyman that does the AI for me (not cheap).

I understand semen lasts decades, but I'm wondering if lifted up in tank several times if can go bad. He doesn't AI his dairy cows (small dairy - uses bull), but has been doing club calf AIing on some beef cows.

Anyway, thought if she took naturally, I'd probably toss the few straws I have left.