Will Protien Block Cause the Runs???

Help Support CattleToday:

WindyHillFarm

Reaction score
I put out a new brand of block 24% protien about a week ago and a few of the cows have loose manure, I have since pulled the block and put in a area I can contol intake. It has been a few hours so I am not sure if this is the cause. Ever happened to anyone else before? Bred hiefers, free choice coastal, mineral, salt have been on blocks before with no issues but never used this brand before.

I've found that consumption varies ALOT between brands. It sounds like the one you switched to must be one that they eat like candy. It's probably also cheaper right? It seems like the more expensive ones are that way for a reason, they are better.

they go through sweetlix,,,, like who'd a thought.. ive used it before, they love it but the price vs time consumed would break you

old farmers could tell if their cows were getting enough protein by the consistency of the cows manure. they would also tell a lot about their hay by pulling out a piece of grass hay & looking at the bottom of the stem. if the bottom is brown & shriveled it is early cut hay with higher protein

backhoeboogie":209stq9j said:
jerry27150":209stq9j said:
old farmers could tell if their cows were getting enough protein by the consistency of the cows manure.

Aint nothing changed.
While that's a good rule of thumb, tain;t always so. With the grass this year and everything having the squirts all summer the expectaions were for higher weaning weights. With the amount of moisture this year the grass was washy andweaning weights were generally down. With hay it works, with pasture it just might not.

Can't argue that either.

If the cows ever start dropping dry bricks with no splatter, it is time to act.

gizmom":2s1n62qq said:
Windyhill

I don't have an answer to your question but I do want to ask.....waht kind of boat are you running?

It is a 1989 Mako 250, they used the 25 mold and made it into a cuddy. Only made them for a few years.

mako250.jpg

gizmom":1nkh1mq6 said:
Very nice boat, I love fishing almost as much as I love the cows! Nothing like hooking into a big ole red snapper or a grouper but for the real thrill its AJ's! What do you target when fishing in your area?

http://www.gizmoangus.com

Mostly we fish Bottom for Gag, and Red Grouper, Red Snapper and Kings are common also. I like to troll down south when I get the chance but the bottom fishing is a lot of fun and much closer as the boat ramp is only five miles from the barn.

DSCF0157_5.jpg

DSCF2814.jpg

DSCF2820.jpg

IMG_0835_1.jpg

Woo Hooo that was a nice haul of snapper! Ok I have to put a picture of my very first Dolphin caught him last August on the last day of snapper season we took a couple of boys from our church out for their graduation fishing trip it was one of the best days we had all year!

100_0328.jpg
100_0335.jpg

Like I said Fishing is one of my favorite things to do!

http://www.gizmoangus
http://www.gizmoangus.blogspot.com

Latest posts