Will oak leaves kill a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar said:
For the naysayers:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/quercus-poisoning/overview-of-quercus-poisoning
FWIW, leaves can also cause poisoning & other deleterious consequences along with acorn consumption. If you escaped unscathed consider yourself lucky.

I don't think anyone said it can't happen. Just not very likely. Almost anything can kill anything when the stars lineup. I can show documented instance of 16 head 100percent killed by Tifton 85 Bermuda grass. Cattle eat grass ,leaves, catus,and weeds when allowed to graze freely.
I think a better statement would be if you've ever lost a cow to oaks, consider yourself very unlucky.

Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:
Well crap. I literally just turned them in the pasture.

They'll be fine.

They ain't payin it no tension, so I'm probably safe.

Don't tell my cows as they have as many acres of woods to graze as pastures. The pasture is full of oak trees.
The deer have to wrassle the cows for an acorn.

Caustic Burno said:
Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
They'll be fine.

They ain't payin it no tension, so I'm probably safe.

Don't tell my cows as they have as many acres of woods to graze as pastures. The pasture is full of oak trees.
The deer have to wrassle the cows for an acorn.

I probably average losing 1 and half per year to acorns. That's with the majority of my woods fenced off.

The deer are able to shell the acorns, cows can't...the ones it effects the most are ones that keep rustling them.not just eat a few and graze..

Latest posts