Will oak leaves kill a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Need to make a pasture rotation really bad. Storm brought down a huge oak tree. I have never heard of leaves killing one.

I think it's theoretically possible, but unless you have cows with empty stomachs and literally nothing else to eat, I wouldn't worry about it.

ALACOWMAN said:
76 Bar said:
the acorns can make them sick if they eat enough
Unfortunately they can easily become addicted. In sufficient quantity they'll cause abortions.
and weight loss like no tomorrow..renal failure..

yep. i had one that had it.. she was the prettiest heifer you'd ever want. slick as a an oil spill. she loved those acorns. plenty of everything to eat.. that wasn't an issue.

cowrancher75 said:
ALACOWMAN said:
76 Bar said:
Unfortunately they can easily become addicted. In sufficient quantity they'll cause abortions.
and weight loss like no tomorrow..renal failure..

yep. i had one that had it.. she was the prettiest heifer you'd ever want. slick as a an oil spill. she loved those acorns. plenty of everything to eat.. that wasn't an issue.

Addiction is a horrible thing.. I had one, purty as a pup. Got hooked on just regular old corn. Plenty of grass , but she ate to much of that corn.... lol

Many a cow got fed through the drought..the real drought. By ranchers cutting down oak trees. I can still here red, those cows don't need feed, acorns are falling..

I promise you when the conditions is right Oak leaves WILL KILL CATTLE.
We had a 100 year old oak blow down in 2 acre dry lot in early spring,
Had 12 650 lbs heifers on feed and hay the oak had nice new leaves coming out no grass yet,Within a week of the tree falling calves started not coming up to feed. Had vet come out and check them out .Eating to many oak leaves has the same affect as acorns. Lost 6 of the 12 heifers the rest lost lots of body conditions. So yes oak leaves will kill cattle.

Mat Man said:
Had 12 650 lbs heifers on feed and hay the oak had nice new leaves coming out no grass yet,Within a week of the tree falling calves started not coming up to feed. Had vet come out and check them out .Eating to many oak leaves has the same affect as acorns. Lost 6 of the 12 heifers the rest lost lots of body conditions. So yes oak leaves will kill cattle.

So will Bermuda grass under the right conditions. My guess is your vet scratched his a.... And pointed to the easiest diagnosis. Instead of telling you if your gonna put 12 head up in a pen.. at Least keep it cleaned up.

I've never had a problem with my cows eating oak leaves. There are several huge oak trees,(not sure which variety) where they have access to them. 18 years of access to those trees, haven't had an issue. Not with the leaves or the acorns. I'm thinking the acorns haven't been an issue, as deer & squirrels eat them as well.

Mat Man said:

You posted this before, but I couldn't find it with a search. It had been in the back of my mind since I read it. This tree is not in the pasture they are in, it's in the pasture they need to be in. The leaves will just not wilt.

We have many many oak trees also.The conditions were what caused the problems at that time.Thay had all the hay they wanted and was fed ground feed everyday. The fresh green leaves and no green grass was the problem.Oak leaves normal will not hurt them.

seriously..oak leaves..ever been to fl..those oaks don't grow flat on the btm like that..aint an oak leaf anywhere a cow can reach em...ive had many oaks down n storms..they eat every speck of leaf thay can get..

Latest posts