Will a Dexta Lift Large Round Rolls of Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a well-kept Fordson Dexta tractor with a Perkins diesel engine.
The information I have is that it is 32 hp, weighs about 3,000 pounds and is supposed to be able to lift 1,000 kg or 2,000 pounds. Any thoughts on whether or not it will lift a large round roll of hay? I would use it about twice a week putting out a couple of rolls of hay each time. Will it be able to lift a large roll?

Supa Dexta":2muvwd83 said:
Very light in the front end with much weight out back. Hard to steer with the wheels off the ground.
That's what the breaks are for

That is the model tractor I learn to drive on. I have put probably a couple thousands hours on a Fordson Dexta. My dad put me on one at around 5 years old and by 7 could operate what equipment it would handle, as I was big for my age. As mention before, they are pretty light in the front, but could probably handle a 4'x5' bale (might need fluid in the front tires and keep it off hills) As far as power they are rated at 32 hp, but not a lot of difference between them and a 3000 Ford power wise. Starting below 20 degrees is no fun and I have never seen one with power steering. Also it is bout impossible to put hydraulics on. Keeping the oil off the dry brakes is hard to do as I learn how to operate bout brakeless. Also the gears would lock up if you wouldn't careful how you put it in reverse as you had to take the top gear plate off and reset. I know the tractor well. It would handle a 5' bush hog well, 451 NH sickle mower, plow tobacco, rake hay, etc. They have a good engine.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... dexta.html

s0XH94k.jpg

You could make a bracket and put some weight on the front if needed...
7fafae23f5b5657d661112fe7cc84ef9.jpg

it will lift a 5x4 roll easy, ive hauled 1000 pound bales with a ferguson to30 gas tractor (super light front end)

jltrent":2bscfwli said:
That is the model tractor I learn to drive on. I have put probably a couple thousands hours on a Fordson Dexta. My dad put me on one at around 5 years old and by 7 could operate what equipment it would handle, as I was big for my age. As mention before, they are pretty light in the front, but could probably handle a 4'x5' bale (might need fluid in the front tires and keep it off hills) As far as power they are rated at 32 hp, but not a lot of difference between them and a 3000 Ford power wise. Starting below 20 degrees is no fun and I have never seen one with power steering. Also it is bout impossible to put hydraulics on. Keeping the oil off the dry brakes is hard to do as I learn how to operate bout brakeless. Also the gears would lock up if you wouldn't careful how you put it in reverse as you had to take the top gear plate off and reset. I know the tractor well. It would handle a 5' bush hog well, 451 NH sickle mower, plow tobacco, rake hay, etc. They have a good engine.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... dexta.html

s0XH94k.jpg

You could make a bracket and put some weight on the front if needed...
7fafae23f5b5657d661112fe7cc84ef9.jpg

Just put the 5x4 round bale on the back for your power steering.

Ken

MtnCows93":34xquhup said:
it will lift a 5x4 roll easy, ive hauled 1000 pound bales with a ferguson to30 gas tractor (super light front end)

You must have some front weights on the TO30? My father in law has no weights on the front of his TO30 and the 3pt will lift my 900+ lbs 4x5s but the bales never come off the ground. Lift comes up but the bale stays on the ground, and the front tires lift to the moon.

chevytaHOE5674":mk9fbcdq said:
MtnCows93":mk9fbcdq said:

You must have some front weights on the TO30? My father in law has no weights on the front of his TO30 and the 3pt will lift my 900+ lbs 4x5s but the bales never come off the ground. Lift comes up but the bale stays on the ground, and the front tires lift to the moon.
I got a heavy front bumper thats it, i did pop some wheelies if i let the clutch out too fast lol. the bales were heavy enough to make the lift pump knock

Like others said, best bet is to add weight the front end. Not that the tractor per se can't handle it, just a matter of foot-lbs and where the lbs are located.

A 4x5 isn't all that much so you don't need a lot of weight. I have delivered 5x6's (twice the weight) with a Ford 2000 (30 hp) on flat ground and the only way to steer was with the brakes....only once. Then built a bracket that I mounted via the holes to the front axle and added 6 solid concrete (not cinder) blocks (8x6x16) and 5x6's were no longer a problem on mostly flat ground, some roll to it.

Texasmark":13ra7kp4 said:
Like others said, best bet is to add weight the front end. Not that the tractor per se can't handle it, just a matter of foot-lbs and where the lbs are located.

A 4x5 isn't all that much so you don't need a lot of weight. I have delivered 5x6's (twice the weight) with a Ford 2000 (30 hp) on flat ground and the only way to steer was with the brakes....only once. Then built a bracket that I mounted via the holes to the front axle and added 6 solid concrete (not cinder) blocks (8x6x16) and 5x6's were no longer a problem on mostly flat ground, some roll to it.
Last winter, I handled some heavy 5x6 bales with the 3pt on a 3600..no weights on the front end...........or, more accurately, they handled me. Flat ground it is ok, but any bump or incline and the front wheels would momentarily come up.
(I could hear the relief valve for the 3 pt hydraulics buzzing the whole time.)

4x5s, the 3600 can handle all day long and will lift them as high as the 3pt normally go. 3600 is a bit bigger and heavier than the 3000 and Fordson being discussed but not by much.

Latest posts