wildife friendly fence

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rebuild an old boundary fence (600 ft section) that crosses through a long wooded stretch heavily traveled by whitetail and feral hogs. I'd like to let them pass over/under the fence while keeping my (pretty calm) cattle in. Not going to use electric on a boundary fence. Anyone use smooth wire on top/bottom? raise/lower in sections of wire? Other ideas?

No need to use smooth wire. Those little barbs don't bother the animals. They run through worse every day.

On the fences I know are traveled a lot I put the bottom wire almost a foot and a half off the ground. I've never had any cattle or calves go under it. The deer, hogs, ect travel under it with ease. I've seen some pretty good bucks go under it with out skipping a beat. I had areas you couldn't keep a bottom wire up. Literally the next day it would be screwed up.

Just raise you bottom wire to what ever you are comfortable with and you will be good.

.I often wedge a notched stick between lower wires to make a crawl through when the fawns are small. I'll post a pic shortly
Keeping a good space between the top two wires. About 14" helps greatly in keeping deer from getting hung. Don't lower the top.wire. it forces them to jump high. Lower the second wire. When they drag a leg it won't get twisted between them

callmefence":3jwt91dd said:
.I often wedge a notched stick between lower wires to make a crawl through when the fawns are small. I'll post a pic shortly
Keeping a good space between the top two wires. About 14" helps greatly in keeping deer from getting hung. Don't lower the top.wire. it forces them to jump high. Lower the second wire. When they drag a leg it won't get twisted between them
I have quite a bit of fence in creek bottom with electric on it and they never check up going through Bottom wire is 16 to 18 inches off the ground the rest is spaced a claw hammer apart, electric running offset from the second wire. Don't get the deer hung up the hogs go under and the cows stay off it

Caustic Burno":22iw6rs8 said:
callmefence":22iw6rs8 said:
I have quite a bit of fence in creek bottom with electric on it and they never check up going through Bottom wire is 16 to 18 inches off the ground the rest is spaced a claw hammer apart, electric running offset from the second wire. Don't get the deer hung up the hogs go under and the cows stay off it

We've had some folks requesting the bottom wire higher than normal to let pigs go through without tearing things up

Here's the pic I promised. Much of my place is 10 strand and I'm keeping it that way. So I put these at strategic locations around the place when the fawns are small. They get used heavily.

My wife and I watched 27 does, fawns and 3 young bucks down the road from us. Actually, they watched us watching them. Each one, one at a time, they jumped over a standard 3 wire fence. It just didn't even slow them down. Each one stepped up to the fence, quick look around, over they went.

Pigs? Thankfully, I have idea.

Latest posts