Fence wreckers- pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
These girls were in one of my smaller upper pastures next to the house yesterday morning. The pasture is surround by forest on three sides, I see lots of deer and yotes in that pasture but these guys hardly show up, I see them once or twice a year and never during hunting season. After two pics they had had enough, BTW these are Roosevelt Elk, not Rocky Mountian that populates most elk areas.

Alan

Elk001.jpg

Elk002.jpg

3waycross":2scmozmf said:
......................and they are delicious. :cowboy:

Why yes they are! :D In my younger days, the closest one would at least had an arrow headed her way.

Nice...we have moose that do that. Whats the difference between the Roosevelt and the Rocky Mountain elk? Just different breeds? Sorry to ask but we don't have elk up here so I don't know much about them.

LoveMoo11":2y8wcwyy said:
Whats the difference between the Roosevelt and the Rocky Mountain elk? Just different breeds? Sorry to ask but we don't have elk up here so I don't know much about them.

From what I have been told by other hunters during my days of hunting, Roosevelt are a heavier, stockier elk, with less antler. They are found in the western 1/3 of Oregon and Washington (and probably western N. Cal), from the summit of the cascade mountain range west. As far as I know all elk east of the cascade is Rocky Mountain Elk. Does anyone know if Roosevelt are found else where?

Thanks,
Alan

There are also Roosevelt elk in Western British Columbia and they were planted successfully on a couple islands in Alaska. They are quite a bit bigger bodied animals than a Rocky Mountain. Their horns have a lot of mass but no where near the length of a Rockie. They are tastie critters. I pretty much live on elk meat.

And I can vouch for the fact that they are hard on fences. If they spook, they tend to run single file. The first one or two will jump the fence but after that they just plow right through.

Dave":lakvdyaj said:
And I can vouch for the fact that they are hard on fences. If they spook, they tend to run single file. The first one or two will jump the fence but after that they just plow right through.

A few years ago my wife and I were going out our drive, which is about 1/4 mile long and runs along a pasture. We saw a 3 pt bull with a cow (elk), the bull headed towards the wood first, I can still remember sitting in the truck saying out load....Jump, jump, please jump.... no, through 2 strand of barb and a hot wire like it wasn't there.

Alan

A guy from Arkansas shouldn't have to worry about them fence wreckers. But the first time i saw them break to run across one of our pastures i thought they such a pretty picture. When i heard the barbwire breaking it ruined the picture.

Latest posts