Wild Turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

opus":3calg0yc said:
Crowderfarms":3calg0yc said:
opus":3calg0yc said:
Rumensin, it will kill them all. But you didnt hear that from me.
Good thing you're not around here giving that kind of advice. I'd cash your A$$ in right quick.Why dont you give the Man advice like get a permit from the Game warden if they're that big a pain? We're not talking Starlings here. The Wild Turkey has been one of the largest sucess stories of making a comeback in the U.S. People like you giving out that type advice are what make alot of the rest of us look bad.

They are like starlings here. Feeding rumensin is totally legal. Many people do it and it just so happens to control a bird problem as well. Nothing wrong with it. Its just that some people would prefer to go about it different ways, same results.
We have a varying degree of ethics with controlling wildlife.Poisoning Game Birds, is totally illegal here. ;-)

In all actuality, I dont do that, just to clear it up. But when you feed Rumensin to cattle, which some folks do, birds will eat it. Certain bird will die when they eat it. Turkeys and ravens are 2 that die.

If I was to control turkeys, it would not be by that method. I enjoy shooting too much to let it go that easy. But if I were feeding cattle a product that had Rumensin in it...whats one to do? Its not like they put a sign out that says 'turkeys, feed here for free'.

Now I dont know the people here, or if this is just another 'hobby' forum, but cattle are our lively hood. Its bad enough that we lose a lot of hay to deer and elk every year, let alone losing grain to wildlife.

opus":25y1txse said:
In all actuality, I dont do that, just to clear it up. But when you feed Rumensin to cattle, which some folks do, birds will eat it. Certain bird will die when they eat it. Turkeys and ravens are 2 that die.

If I was to control turkeys, it would not be by that method. I enjoy shooting too much to let it go that easy. But if I were feeding cattle a product that had Rumensin in it...whats one to do? Its not like they put a sign out that says 'turkeys, feed here for free'.

Now I dont know the people here, or if this is just another 'hobby' forum, but cattle are our lively hood. Its bad enough that we lose a lot of hay to deer and elk every year, let alone losing grain to wildlife.
Maybe a relocation to New York City is in the Crystal Ball for you. There you would not have to worry bout' the Turkeys, nor the deer and the Elk eating a little dab of hay when they're hungry.You need to be a better Steward to your place, after all that wildlife was there way before you and me.

I buy feed just for WT's. I feed them twice a day. Had 30+ at last feeding.

I shoot one only every now and then. Got some folks that come down to pay to shoot one. I use that money to buy them more feed.

Maybe a relocation to New York City is in the Crystal Ball for you. There you would not have to worry bout' the Turkeys, nor the deer and the Elk eating a little dab of hay when they're hungry.You need to be a better Steward to your place, after all that wildlife was there way before you and me.

"not a good steward", tsk, tsk, tsk....thats not a very nice thing to say. Things are different here in the west than where you are, sorry.

NYC...hmmmm....I am 120 miles to the nearest mall, Burger King, Walmart, etc...I dont think do. Very content, thank you just the same.

opus":2li4qzk7 said:

Whoa your new here careful using that hobby term .

Trophy hunter from NJ came down this week and shot him one of my home grown WT's. He paid the guide a good amount and the guide paid me a good amount of that. Got another trophy hunter coming next week. Shoot two in two weeks will buy that new tin for my hay barn. ;-)

I love hunting turkeys and love eating them things. we just dont have too many around here to shoot at. I will say though, Opus, your not the only one whose 120 miles from anything. Were in the same boat here, but were only 90 miles from anything.

We've got tons of them here. I figure every time one eats a tick I owe him a few grains of something. They keep the waste picked up from around the feeders for the most part. I like to see them on the farm. Hasn't been that many years we didn't have any here. I'll take 50 wt's over 5 pigeons anyday.

i'd say you should hide and wait for them to come out there then run on out and punt them like a big ol feathered football :D

While we're on the subject, what is your preferred method of skinning a wild turkey? I generally just go for the breast meat unless someone has a good method of tenderizing that I don't know about. I've been told that soaking in salt water for 24 hrs helps, but I still couldn't even stick a fork in a leg. Those rascals are muscular here cause they run up and down the mountains all day.

Hasbeen":2gazcq9e said:
While we're on the subject, what is your preferred method of skinning a wild turkey? I generally just go for the breast meat unless someone has a good method of tenderizing that I don't know about. I've been told that soaking in salt water for 24 hrs helps, but I still couldn't even stick a fork in a leg. Those rascals are muscular here cause they run up and down the mountains all day.

Skinning or cooking? I dip mine in boiling water and pluck. Cooking, mostly I smoke the wild ones in a wet smoker.

We pluck also. Cut up a cuple of apples, throw then in the body cavity and cook in an oven bag. Melts in your mouth, moist and has just a hint of the apple flavor. But we cook ducks and geese the same way.

dun

Hasbeen":3fb38tpc said:
You guys understand I'm talking about wild turkeys, right? I don't know anyone who plucks them like a domestic bird.

And I know very few that don;t. The ones that don;t generally just breast them out and throw away all of the other good stuff.

dun

Ryan":374afzcp said:
Anybody have any Tips or Tricks to keep Wild Turkeys out of our feed troughs?
Ryan

1) Some states will live trap and relocate excess birds but it is costly.
2) My brother's Springer Spaniel has been known to retrieve live turkey's that are slow on lift off. That will save on baiting and trapping.
3) Propane cannons work for a while to scare off birds but the cows may object.
4) Change the policy, save your money, and let hunters eat them! How can it be that Texans won't let you hunt?

Stocker Steve":1ntji9vw said:
How can it be that Texans won't let you hunt?

This is because they are eating out of the trough that our show cattle eat out of. And they are mingling with our show cattle, which are not cheap and very hard to replace when shot. The owner doesn't have anything against hunters or hunting, unless on his place.

Hasbeen":36sc6afc said:
You guys understand I'm talking about wild turkeys, right? I don't know anyone who plucks them like a domestic bird.

Yep, WILD turkeys. Always pluck. Like Dun, I don't know anyone who skins turkeys. My neighbor just started raising chickens to butcher. He says he is going to skin them. I told him give me a hollar when he does I want to see the process.

Of course this neighbor wants $600 for a horned crossed RA heifer at about 250 pounds. He told me he plans to sell these skinned chickens for $20 each. Is it me or does this sound a tad high?