Wild Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

That would be the way go, but there is several pastures close to mine that don't want any dogs on their land, so the dogs are out. Already thought of that one.

garseer":2rgclsxz said:
That would be the way go, but there is several pastures close to mine that don't want any dogs on their land, so the dogs are out. Already thought of that one.

Dogs mostly just run them onto other people's property. If I hear a bunch of baying across the river, it is a hog night. They'll all be run onto me.

Best to trap them out as best you can, then bring in the boys with the dogs. They'll catch the "trap smart" hogs.

garseer":2cgtsbny said:

Apparently their pastures aren't getting rooted too bad.

Here is a link to a bunch-o-traps.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/86331750AtXGgI

I made one out of bed frame and chain link fence. Swinging front door that latches when it falls. Rear trigger.

My next one will have a guillotine type door. Mine works find and has trapped quite a few. I put a pressure treated floor in it so I could pick up the hogs and trap with the FEL and move like bhb said.

flaboy":1s9r0jsl said:
Here is a link to a bunch-o-traps.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/86331750AtXGgI

I made one out of bed frame and chain link fence. Swinging front door that latches when it falls. Rear trigger.

My next one will have a guillotine type door. Mine works find and has trapped quite a few. I put a pressure treated floor in it so I could pick up the hogs and trap with the FEL and move like bhb said.

How is the best way to do the trigger? :idea:

The link doesn't show any triggers.

KenB":2muy1iq0 said:
How is the best way to do the trigger? :idea:

The link doesn't show any triggers.

One inch tube steel and nothing bigger than one inch. Cut two pieces of it 18 inches long and weld a hinge to them such that you have a 36 inch piece that folds half. On the opposite side of the hinge, weld about a 3/8 or 1/2 inch lock washer for an eye, to one piece near the hinged joint. This way when tripped, it will fold away from the door it supports. Tie a rope to the eye & route it down through a pulley, then across the trap. That's your trip wire. The hogs will chew it to pieces when caught so don't make a hard tie.

Before you use the rope, wet it, then drag it through dirt such that it is earthen color. Also, put dirt on the floor such that they don't feel the wire underfoot when they enter the trap. (or wood if you build one like flaboy's)

Pigs and shoats don't have cutter teeth to root with. They'll follow around hogs that do and eat in behind them. When they get to your trap, they'll grunt and squeal when they find corn. If you have your trip line too low, you'll catch just them. Its best to put that trip line about 14 inches up so the little guys can't trip the door. 8 or 10 will get in there and then a big one or else some bigger shoats will run in and trip the guilotine door. Wham, you got many.

My 1 inch tube steel trip poles go on top of the trap, holding up the guilotine gate. The rope is then routed through the top down to a pulley on one side. From there I go across the trap with a single tie to the opposite side.

Tube steel bigger than 1 inch is harder to trip. 3/4 is a bit too touchy but will work. If you have some scrap around in this size proximity, use it. 1 1/4 will probably be fine but I would not use 1 1/2 inch.

Edit: By the way, you could use wood but it will get chewed to shreds when you catch some. That is why I use tube steel.

One more thing, be very careful with anything you catch over about 100 lbs. If you want to castrate one that size, he has to be looped around the snout, in the top of his mouth, with the loop behind his upper cutter teeth. Leave his bottom jaw open. Just loop the top of the mouth and over the snout. Then have someone you trust hold pressure on that rope. Best to pull his snout through the panel and hold it, maybe get a wrap around a tree if you are a novice. You can circle behind and hog tie his rear feet then get a wrap to his front feet. Tie him good with cinch wraps above the dew claws.

Anything under 50 lbs I will throw by hand and hold them once they are in the pen and isolated. The little guys will squeal like crazy and any bigger hogs in adjacent pens will go nuts while they are squealing. You'd best have them very well secured in those pens before you go in with the little ones.

You can easily get hurt, bitten or killed.

I have never seen feral hogs in Iowa, but just last year in the Dept. of Natural Resource hunting guidlines they had a new insert about hogs. I didn't realize, but they are slowly moving into southern Iowa and the DNR says to shoot them on sight and then to call them so they can record incident. Like others have said, they will only get worse.

ArrowHBrand":3p94fv93 said:
I have never seen feral hogs in Iowa, but just last year in the Dept. of Natural Resource hunting guidlines they had a new insert about hogs. I didn't realize, but they are slowly moving into southern Iowa and the DNR says to shoot them on sight and then to call them so they can record incident. Like others have said, they will only get worse.

We have a hunting lull in January/Febuary/March between the archery deer season and snow geese season - - so it you can shag some hogs up north I have a solution for them.

Stocker Steve":5hlrd88f said:
ArrowHBrand":5hlrd88f said:

We have a hunting lull in January/Febuary/March between the archery deer season and snow geese season - - so it you can shag some hogs up north I have a solution for them.

I agree. I would love to hunt some hogs either with my bow or with a muzzleloader. I've checked into hunts down in Texas and they seem pretty reasonable with deer/hog combos. I know they can really tear some s*!? up.

Stocker Steve":hdzn7ts8 said:

Not to be rude to you SS, but I don't sell to anyone who would like to put them on a "game preseve" or anything like that. If hogs are going to individuals, they leave my place field dressed.

If someone turns loose of hogs, they may as well pull a gun on the surrounding farmers and rob them. It is not much different.

The introduction of Russain Boar is what got us where we are now. Hogs mulitply exponentially. Look at Caustic's numbers in the above post. He's serious. You don't want them.

This is always a fun discussion. This year has seen such a dramatic difference over the last two in my area. The only sign of a hog on our place is one huge set of tracks that we see about twice a month. Other than that there are no others.

This was all brought about by relentless trapping and shooting on sight. The State also brought out the chopper on a couple of occassions to the tune of 52 hogs in one morning on one place. '05 and '06 together with Jan. and Feb of this year and your looking at over 500+ head of feral hogs and pig dead. And that my friends is why I have seen a grand total of two sets of hogs tracks since the Spring and these two were five miles apart. We have got it to the point that we're winning this war although I still have four traps out right now but the corn grows mold on it in them.

The hogs where I live will really be hard to completely get rid of. My place adjoins a National Forest and the other land around me noone has any cows in their pasture except for a guy on the west side of me. the other ones are used for mostly hunting, so I think it will always be an issue around my place.

Last time I was home one of my neighbors was telling me.You can not have a top on your hog trap.State Law?Is that correct?
Reason being some people do not check the traps on a regular basis.Cruel way for a hog or calf to die.So I guess the Game Dept. or Sheriff Dept. is going to enforce it.Anyone else hear anything on hogtraps such as that?Yeah those wild hogs make me :mad: when trying to mow the pasture.Best cure I have is a Rem 8mm Mag,Weatherby 340 Mag and Win 45-70.Works better than the traps.

Brahma Bull":13wg36e8 said:
Last time I was home one of my neighbors was telling me.You can not have a top on your hog trap.State Law?Is that correct?
Reason being some people do not check the traps on a regular basis.Cruel way for a hog or calf to die.So I guess the Game Dept. or Sheriff Dept. is going to enforce it.Anyone else hear anything on hogtraps such as that?Yeah those wild hogs make me :mad: when trying to mow the pasture.Best cure I have is a Rem 8mm Mag,Weatherby 340 Mag and Win 45-70.Works better than the traps.

It is to let any deer that might become entrapped jump out and not beat themselves to death trying to get out.

hurleyjd":1xeuttaa said:
It is to let any deer that might become entrapped jump out and not beat themselves to death trying to get out.

Keep the trap small. Let them go. BHB explained it quite well. Hogs will get over/thru game fences that deer cannot cross. Have you ever seen a deer ride piggy back on one another?

We have a real problem here (in many parts) of Hawaii. Feral pigs are really devasting to the environment here too. It is interesting to see how folks on the "mainland" deal with the issue. Part of the problem here is a strong anti hunting/anti gun advocacy (on many of the islands) that grows louder with imported, rich, city folks and exclusive housing developements eating up once rural lands. Hog hunting, typically with dogs, is still a passionate activity in some areas though. I don't think we have nearly as much of a problem with shooting into large numbers of pigs. So, I guess I am rather comfortable with picking them off more or less one by one - or small groups that are probably not going to meet any fences. Heat, humidity, steep, slippery mountain sides, and dense cover make it extra fun to go after 'em here. However, from time to time hogs will come visiting. Kinda unique to look up and see an ol' tusker giving you, the kids, and whatever else happens to be part of your household a squinty-eyed look over. Feral pigs here also seem to enjoy holding up traffic from time to time.

Latest posts