Wild steer help

Help Support CattleToday:

ONly way I know to get a wild one up in a corral is to get an older cow to lead him in. But if you dont have a cow, then tempt him with feed. As dun and Jo said.. be careful with him though.... He is a alot tougher than you are. (speaking from experience and still got very sore ribs from my last encounter)

Ah, this just reminded me. Once upon a time my Dad, brother, and I were asked to catch a ~1000 steer so they could haul him to the butcher. None of us were much good with a rope so, we just ran him around 500 acres till he tired enough to match my roping skills. :lol2: The old mare pulled his butt all the way back to the pen too.

Bez+":2iavo71e said:
Agboy":2iavo71e said:
Ok heres the situation I have a steer that has tested me beyond myself. This wild devil is more like an outlaw then anything. Very spooky if you get even close to him to try an corral him. Jumped several fences an off course brought the whole heard with him. I have been trying my darndest to get him in the barn so I can lock him up. But you cant get close to him or if he even sees you he takes off. I am just about to the point off shooting it. No kidding. Ive had with him. I thought about a tranquilizer gun but dont know much about them.So whatt would you do guys. Hes alone now. I had 2 steers with him but still couldnt do nothing with him. I am desperate. I will try anything. So can you help me out guys. I am thoroughly disguted.I been around a lot off cattle over the years. But this critter is possesed. Thanks for any help or advice. I am open for anything.

This is so common a complaint that I would suggest you do a search on how to catch a wild steer - bet we see this about 40 - 50 times a year here - if not more.

So - rather than waste my time and yours with all the potential explanations - here is one that works every time.

Feed him a pile of grain over the next few weeks - and water him well. Same place and same time every day.

When you figure he is nice and fat - feed him an even bigger pile of grain - it will steady him up for this - line him up and shoot him between the eyes - you can do it from out to 100 yards - so I am sure you will be able to get close enough to kill him - gut him right there and take him to the butcher.

Less hassle and will taste fine as he died nice and relaxed.

Or call your veterinarian and find out who can tranq him - do it yourself and you might kill him.

Or do a search here - find out how to build solid infrastructure and then find out how to trap him.

Good luck

Bez+
This is the best post. Get him calmed down and dead from a distance, with all you have said about him there is no use to try to get him in a pen or barn, and don't get anyone hurt. Whats the use to end up hurt or dead over a future hamburger?

angie":5i3ssdfc said:
CattleHand":5i3ssdfc said:
I would not shoot him.
Why?
Neither you nor Bez say why you would not shoot him.

Well I figure he'd make more taking him to the sale barn is all. Everyone is right if you can't do it with out getting hurt then I guess you have no choice. But with the right facilities and knowledge it can be done.

One day I heard the neighbor shooting and shooting. I could just make out a big old steer running around his place and he is chasing it on his tractor and shooting. Must have shot a box of shells. I called and asked him if he needed a bigger gun. He didn't think my comment was too funny. :lol2:

flaboy":gutcie9i said:
One day I heard the neighbor shooting and shooting. I could just make out a big old steer running around his place and he is chasing it on his tractor and shooting. Must have shot a box of shells. I called and asked him if he needed a bigger gun. He didn't think my comment was too funny. :lol2:
Some folks just don;t have a sense of humor

I've heard that you have to be fairly close with a tranquilizer gun - like around 50 yards or so, i'm not too familiar with them.
I'd rig up that old barn (make it pretty stout so he can't get out) and go get a couple of old cows and put in the pasture with him. Once they start going in the barn to eat, see if you can't pull that gate around and catch all of them in the barn at once. Several 'less than tame' bulls have met their demise that way. Of course, getting him out of the barn into the trailer presents another set of problems. Bez's idea may prove the safer alternative for you and your helpers. We've taken some straight off pasture and been really pleased with the beef.

Leave the lights on in the barn and catch him at night. During the day, they try to get to daylight from a dark barn. During darkness, they'll go into an illuminated barn easier.

don't give him salt for a while, then give him loose salt and no water except for where you want him.. he'll want that water pretty badly

invest in a remote operated gate?

we're luck as all our cattle are pretty tame, for the most part, but if you have some other beast that can keep him company and guide him, that always helps

Just an update for you guys. Havent got the steer in yet but am getting close. The weather today has really gotten cold an windy with below 0 windchills so that barn is looking pretty inviting. He comes an eats hay close to the barn an the water is in there so its just a matter off time. Thanks everybody for all the help an tips an suggestions. You guys are great. :D Helps a bunch. Will keep you posted.

Put his feed in the trailer everyday for awhile and then shut em up in there when the time is right.

angie":1baslu9x said:
Call the locker, find out when they can take him. On that appointed day, go out and shoot him in the head. Field dress and quarter him and bring him in to be processed. I would not mess with feeding him up ~ sounds like he is more trouble than he is worth in grain and time.

Have done this a few times in the past but now they won't take dead beef but will process a dead deer. Make sense?
Got one now that may get turned into buzzard meat since noone will process it. This one wolld not be very good to eat anyway.

Agboy, you're doing about the same thing we do. Most of our cattle are pets (show calves) but we do have one that when we got her as soon as we unloaded her she headed for the hills! She has gotten so much better now and will stay with the herd if we are out messing with them. But she stays on the outside edge and never takes her eyes off of us. Here is the way we catch her to vaccinate her and all that. Every morning right at day light our herd comes up to drink, they have to come into the barn lot to get water. So the day we have to get her up we hide in the back of the barn and when she comes in the lot we come around the corner and just shut the gate when she gets far enough in the lot that she cant spin around and run out. So then shes caught. But once shes caught she is fine she doesnt completely flip out and try to jump or anything. I just hope your barn and fences are horse high, pig tight, and bull strong. :)

Agree with Bez+, we have a butcher shop around here that will send a truck out, shoot him for you, (they prefer to do this themselves), gut and haul off to butcher shop and give you the finished product. I haven't used them, but know people who have and they were pleased with the service, also much safer than fighting with him. Personally, I would probably feel better if I got to pull the trigger.

flaboy":jposfis7 said:

My neighbor has an outlaw steer that left the farm and took to the woods when the tried to load them out one fall. The neighbor could not catch him so he ended up having a young guy come over in mid winter, run the steer down with a snowmobile, and then shoot it. I heard the meat was not very good. :shock: