Wild Turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Anybody have any Tips or Tricks to keep Wild Turkeys out of our feed troughs? We like them wondering through our pens and pastures (and there is no hunting allowed on the property), but they get up in the feed troughs and makes messes in there. I know that can't be good for the cattle, so I spend a lot time cleaning out the feed troughs.

Ryan

Human hair's not going to work on turkeys-it works on animals but fowl don't have the sense of smell that animals do. The only thing that might help keep them out would be to have something that flaps in the wind that might scare them away. But then again where you you place this? I guess it depends on where your feed troughs are located. If they're under trees you might try tying aluminum pie pans to the branches so they hang down enough to flap when the wind blows. But then would this scare the cattle you want to feed? They would probably get used to it. This might not work-just a thought.

Bullbuyer":1vtdrgmi said:
Where's your dog ? Get ya' one of those Pyrenees or a Lab, etc.

We got two blue healers But, they're too busy chasing birds 35 ft. up in the air to pay attention to the big ones 20 ft away on the ground.

I keep a feeder up in the woods just for the turkeys. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I never see them at the troughs, just a few mourning doves. Of course, my cows lick the troughs clean after every feeding so there's not much left for a turkey to find.

Pyrenees will probably do the trick but you have to raise them where you want them to guard. We got two males as weaned pups and kept them in a chain link dog pen at the barn for about six months before letting them out. Now they guard the barn lot and everything in it. They are always barking at night. They are huge dogs and their barks sound even bigger. So far nothing bothers the chickens, ducks, geese etc. as well as the weaned calves. If you get them don't make big pets out of them, they'll be worthless. Feed them and treat them well but raise them around the animals that you want them to guard and they will do well. They have to have a job or they're just a nusiance. I see alot of folks in our area that have them but they keep them as pets and they do nothing but lay in the road and chase cars.

Rustler is right on - where most people go wrong with farm dogs is that they see them as a pet, they really shouldn't be treated as pets. They should be treated as a working member of the farm crew. I've seen pyrenees with goats and sheep and I've seen 'em laying in the kitchen floor next to the woodstove and I tell ya' the sheepin' dog seemed much happier and healthier !!

Rustler9":qyihumjj said:
Pyrenees will probably do the trick but you have to raise them where you want them to guard. We got two males as weaned pups and kept them in a chain link dog pen at the barn for about six months before letting them out. Now they guard the barn lot and everything in it. They are always barking at night. They are huge dogs and their barks sound even bigger. So far nothing bothers the chickens, ducks, geese etc. as well as the weaned calves. If you get them don't make big pets out of them, they'll be worthless. Feed them and treat them well but raise them around the animals that you want them to guard and they will do well. They have to have a job or they're just a nusiance. I see alot of folks in our area that have them but they keep them as pets and they do nothing but lay in the road and chase cars.
I'm glad I don't live next door to you with your big dogs barking all night, would drive me crazy!

I'd be happy to come down and help you with your turkey problem, as long as you let me eat them after I shoot them. :D I love turkey breast, especially brined for 24 hours and smoked. Tender, juicy, mmmmmmm my mouth is waterin.

opus":19f3dvx8 said:
Rumensin, it will kill them all. But you didnt hear that from me.
Good thing you're not around here giving that kind of advice. I'd cash your A$$ in right quick.Why dont you give the Man advice like get a permit from the Game warden if they're that big a pain? We're not talking Starlings here. The Wild Turkey has been one of the largest sucess stories of making a comeback in the U.S. People like you giving out that type advice are what make alot of the rest of us look bad.

certherfbeef":2lxrzk4t said:
Sounds like Ryan ought to supply a grill full at Crowder's!!

If we were allowed to do any "hunting" on the property I could probably supply enough for nearly everyone on here. Boss loves having them around, and doesn't want any hunting here on account of all the show animals.

Campground Cattle":2lxrzk4t said:
Might try putting an owl decoy on the feeder they don't like owls.

I will have to test this idea. We have one sitting around here somewhere. Thanks.

Crowderfarms":1wy6dpdm said:
opus":1wy6dpdm said:
Good thing you're not around here giving that kind of advice. I'd cash your A$$ in right quick.Why dont you give the Man advice like get a permit from the Game warden if they're that big a pain? We're not talking Starlings here. The Wild Turkey has been one of the largest sucess stories of making a comeback in the U.S. People like you giving out that type advice are what make alot of the rest of us look bad.

Agree with Crowder why would anyone want to just destroy a beautiful bird for no real reason. Have you every really paid attention at what all actually eats out of your feeder.

We're covered over with WT's here. They scratch the Cow manure and eat on the ground, but never bother feeders here.If we were talkin' Coyotes here, well that's one thing.

Wild Turkey is no nuisance at all if poured over ice with a splash of water. I agree, it's one of the success stories of all time. ;-)

Capt Call":2q1en3j3 said:
Crowderfarms":2q1en3j3 said:
opus":2q1en3j3 said:

Agree with Crowder why would anyone want to just destroy a beautiful bird for no real reason. Have you every really paid attention at what all actually eats out of your feeder.

I agree with Crowder, as well.

We love having the WT's here all around the barns and house. Heck, I don't even mind 'em in the feeder, but I have a big problem with the little presents they leave in the feeder.

I think MikeC has the best idea. ;-)

Crowderfarms":3f3x33ca said:
opus":3f3x33ca said:

They are like starlings here. Feeding rumensin is totally legal. Many people do it and it just so happens to control a bird problem as well. Nothing wrong with it. Its just that some people would prefer to go about it different ways, same results.

Latest posts