Wild Thing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":2xzhjm10 said:
Sorry City Guy, guess my palate isn't as refined as those who believe they can actually taste the color difference of
one steer vs another and a children's story (fantasy) seemed appropriate.
Nobody ever claimed they taste better.

I was being facetious. No one believes (or should believe) that color directly affects flavor. Thus, it seems odd that any color scheme alone would influence price. A solid red animal would be just as heat tolerant as a red and black striped one, so why pay extra for the stripes? Am I missing something?

City Guy":21pw2d3v said:
I was being facetious. No one believes (or should believe) that color directly affects flavor. Thus, it seems odd that any color scheme alone would influence price. A solid red animal would be just as heat tolerant as a red and black striped one, so why pay extra for the stripes? Am I missing something?

Those people are paying for an animal that thrives in their environment. The "stripes" aren't what is being sold to slaughter. They are purchasing them to go back to the farm. If I were in the south, you can bet your behind that I would have some tigers, even if for recips.
In the north, people pay more for black cattle. That is what the market wants. If you think it doesn't matter, go an start making red cattle up north sell for more so that the black cattle sell for less.

greatgerts":3icxioxs said:
City Guy":3icxioxs said:

Those people are paying for an animal that thrives in their environment. The "stripes" aren't what is being sold to slaughter. They are purchasing them to go back to the farm. If I were in the south, you can bet your behind that I would have some tigers, even if for recips.
In the north, people pay more for black cattle. That is what the market wants. If you think it doesn't matter, go an start making red cattle up north sell for more so that the black cattle sell for less.
The tigerstripe female better have some Brahman in her to working effortlessly in the environment of the South. Then put a black bull or a Charolais bull on these tigerstripe cows to have big calves that sell well. Problem is that F1 tigerstripe steers tend to be have poor carcass quality than black Angus.

Another problem is that most tigerstripes in North is usually a Jersey cross and most buyers have no interests into half dairy half beef crosses. Hence the dock on tigerstripe steers in either South and North.

Muddy":39vljqxs said:
City Guy":39vljqxs said:
What makes tigerstripe taste so good?
They didn't, just a great momma cow that will work in hotter harsh climate and raises a big calf.

...and generally raise 5-6 more of them in her lifetime than a straight English or Continental cow. And to clarify, when you say "Tigerstripe" in this part of the country it's assumed you're referring to a Brahman x Hereford. They're generally (but not always) tiger-striped with a white face.

So,a tiger stripe in the south is a X between Brahman and Hereford and would therefore have better heat tolerance than Red Angus or other red English or Continental breed alone. But what if a red Brahman were used, would the stripes still appear? Would there be any down side? If steers with stripes get docked I'm just wondering what can be done to eliminate the stripes yet still get the maternal and growth benefits.

City Guy":3di1my7t said:
So,a tiger stripe in the south is a X between Brahman and Hereford and would therefore have better heat tolerance than Red Angus or other red English or Continental breed alone. But what if a red Brahman were used, would the stripes still appear? Would there be any down side? If steers with stripes get docked I'm just wondering what can be done to eliminate the stripes yet still get the maternal and growth benefits.
I would go off what I see not what I hear. :2cents:

Not sure why you would really want to get rid of the stripes... pretty much their trade mark....evidence the red white face f1's generally fetch less $ than the "fancy" striped models...chocolates bring a little more, then the darker striped. Prices increases as they get lighter till you pass up the "fancy" and head to the striped white.

Our Red Angus/Piedmontese breeding throws a set of stripes every now and then. Our most brindled cow in the herd got a one way truck ride though when she failed to produce last year. Have a steer this year that my girlfriend calls "Zeb" because of his zebra like stripes and light coloring. The stripes are getting less distinguished as he ages though... first to the feed trough and the friendliest one in the bunch too so he always stands out from the rest.

City Guy":d8lc28rm said:
So,a tiger stripe in the south is a X between Brahman and Hereford and would therefore have better heat tolerance than Red Angus or other red English or Continental breed alone...and hybrid vigor, which results in better calves and more of them. But what if a red Brahman were used, would the stripes still appear? I don't know.Would there be any down side? If steers with stripes get docked I'm just wondering what can be done to eliminate the stripes yet still get the maternal and growth benefits.The steers get docked because of the 1/2 Brahman, not because of the stripes. You can't hide the ears or the leather.

Could a Sanga breed be substituted for the Brahman and get the desired result?

City Guy":37nrxe23 said:
No. There is a reason why a F1 tigerstripe cow is a Queen of Cow Country. It has more advantages than the sanga cattle do.

Muddy":1ted0wdh said:
City Guy":1ted0wdh said:
No. There is a reason why a F1 tigerstripe cow is a Queen of Cow Country. It has more advantages than the sanga cattle do.

What, in your personal experience, are the advantages of Brahman cattle over Sanga?

Thought you might enjoy this CG, a red bra black herf cross. For the cost of those off brand cattle you could buy the best f1 tigerstripe that walks. Just really depends on your market

Latest posts