Wild Thing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Crossed a grade Braunvieh with a simi and got a rwf calf. Calf later developed the thin vertical black strips that I think is call a wild pattern. Is this pattern from the Braunvieh side, or is it some thing in the wood pile?

Yep. Brindle gene most likely from the Braunvieh. See description of the genetics here: http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/CowPatterns.html

Bred some red and red-carrier cows to Braunvieh sires last fall, hoping for some good brindle heifers... got at least a couple of brindles... but they're steers, and the buyers here will probably dock 'em and steal 'em next spring.

Kingfisher":132qem6d said:
RanchMan90":132qem6d said:
That's the diluter gene from the braunvieh throwing the brindle. That's a pretty thick calf though?
Would you buy a pot load if em? :)
Heifers yes, everyone's tiger crazy down here. Steers, idk if I could market them.

RM90 You aren't sure you could market brindle steers, but wouldn't those brindle heifers produce brindle calves? Not familiar with these genetics. Is brindle recessive?

City Guy":3czxfszu said:
RM90 You aren't sure you could market brindle steers, but wouldn't those brindle heifers produce brindle calves?

Ha! Had the same question myself. I'm not familiar either but why would you want heifers if they throw a steer you don't want?

City Guy":7nh06dqm said:
RM90 You aren't sure you could market brindle steers, but wouldn't those brindle heifers produce brindle calves? Not familiar with these genetics. Is brindle recessive?
Charolais bulls on tiger cows is pretty popular here, Angus bulls would cover the stripes too.

RanchMan90":1tz3zosj said:
City Guy":1tz3zosj said:
Charolais bulls on tiger cows is pretty popular here, Angus bulls would cover the stripes too.
Brindled heifers are docked here, since most brindled cattle around here are usually Jersey crosses.

Yep, its pretty geographical. They're docked North of i40, while in TX bred black heifers are $800, an f1 tigerstripe heifer (brahman x Hereford) will bring twice that just because someone wants them.

City Guy":1pohafzs said:
What makes tigerstripe taste so good?
Maternal traits and hybrid vigor, that'll give you something else to research CG. The flip side of the coin is the steers take a beating on price, so the heifers dang sure better bring a premium. I've been kicking around the idea of using some sexed brahman semen on some Hereford cows for some heifers, not sure it fits in my schedule though.

City Guy":4648069z said:
They didn't, just a great momma cow that will work in hotter harsh climate and raises a big calf.

City Guy":3unyrkj8 said:
Chasing around and around a tree till they turn into pancake batter.
(The story of little black Sambo)

Which by the way at the time of it's publication in the 1890s was praised as the 1st children's story to have a person of
color as the hero. (Sambo lived in India with his mother Mumbo and father Jumbo)
Had it been titled The Story of Smart Little Sambo, it would never have been considered racist, as Sambo out smarted
the tigers and there was nothing negative in the story. It was after American publishers violated international copy right laws (hard to enforce them back then) by stealing the story, publishing it here and adding unauthorized illustrations did it take on any racial undertones.

(Sorry... off topic and boring, but the thought of a tiger-stripe tasting good made my mind race.) :)

Sorry City Guy, guess my palate isn't as refined as those who believe they can actually taste the color difference of
one steer vs another and a children's story (fantasy) seemed appropriate.

I have several stripes showing up in the Braunvieh x Hereford cross. Some are having calves now sired by red Gelbvieh. Looks like they will make good cows, don't seem to notice any stripes yet in the offspring.

Latest posts