Wild plum jelly

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Just got my share of wild plum jelly , 8 pints. Made some other adult stuff , 4 quarts, I think I like the jelly better . I was a plum gathering fool .

kenny thomas":ysnl9okf said:
We don't have wild plums, are they just a smaller plum? Taste?

The State used and may still have a State nursery and you could buy native trees cheap.
I planted 50 wild plum here I want to say they were Chickasaw plum.
Deer ate 49 of them to the ground.

We have wild plum all over the fence rows here. Wild plums are tart. Make great jelly. But you have to beat the birds and deer and coons and then they are often wormy. We pulled around 4 gallons of wild plums this year. We pulled something like 17 gallons of mustang grapes. Jelly out of both was good, but boysenberry jelly is king.

backhoeboogie":3eewj45w said:
We have wild plum all over the fence rows here. Wild plums are tart. Make great jelly. But you have to beat the birds and deer and coons and then they are often wormy. We pulled around 4 gallons of wild plums this year. We pulled something like 17 gallons of mustang grapes. Jelly out of both was good, but boysenberry jelly is king.

Mayhaw can't be beat.
I haven't seen a paw paw since they clear cut the world.

Caustic Burno":1xv3bzfk said:
backhoeboogie":1xv3bzfk said:

Mayhaw can't be beat.
I haven't seen a paw paw since they clear cut the world.
Lots of paw paw here. It sure won't ferment well. Don't ask how I know that.

I'm a fruit-growing fool. Have killed a bunch of stuff over the past 25 years... survivors are pretty much bomb-proof.

Only plum that I've found worth the space it takes up is the native Chickasaw plum... European, Japanese hybrids, etc. just don't work... Chickasaws, though, bear like crazy, have minimal problems with brown rot, and the plum curculios don't bother them too bad.
I've got two clumps, a small red-fruited type from tiny little suckers I rescued out of the cow pasture, and a big yellow-fruited one that I got from a roadside thicket a couple of miles up the road. They sucker like crazy. A friend from FL sent scions of the 'Guthrie' cultivar that I grafted onto several stems... it's almost pingpong ball size, and has, to me, a 'peachy' flavor to it. It's GREAT!

Pawpaws are everywhere throughout the woods here, but fruiting is sparse, and the ones I've eaten are not very good. I've got a few grafted varieties growing - grafted onto seedlings of named selections... fruits are larger and tastier than any of the local wild ones I've ever eaten. Anymore though, I can eat one pawpaw, and that's enough to suit me for a year or two.
Persimmons are more to my liking.

Most folks wouldn't think mayhaws would work here in KY, but I've been growing 'em for nearly 20 years... Have about a half-dozen named varieties grafted onto native cockspur hawthorn, planted in a low spot along the driveway. Cedar-hawthorn rust is the biggest problem... some years it gets most of the fruits before they ripen, but I usually manage to get enough to make a small batch of jelly every year.

Blackberries... Kiowa is my go-to; HUGE berries - I can pick a gallon or two in about 10 minutes - but they're thorny as all get-out.
Mulberries... every critter loves a mulberry, but none better than me. Illinois Everbearing, Silk Hope, and Stearns are the best varieties in my plantings.

Latest posts