Jelly didn't JELL!

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Had a problem. Used a "proven" recipe to make some Cactus Pod jelly and some Watermelon jelly. Both jellys didn't jell...just made some syrup. Was wondering if we shouldn't have used more Pectin in both than what recipe said?

Also, would it be feasible to "re-do" those "syrups" by adding more pectin? Or, would it wouldn't make any difference... :help:

Running Arrow Bill":3myvpgq3 said:
Had a problem. Used a "proven" recipe to make some Cactus Pod jelly and some Watermelon jelly. Both jellys didn't jell...just made some syrup. Was wondering if we shouldn't have used more Pectin in both than what recipe said?

Also, would it be feasible to "re-do" those "syrups" by adding more pectin? Or, would it wouldn't make any difference... :help:
Might. You have little to lose, unless you use it as syrup.

To redo the jelly:
Recook no more than two quarts (8 cups) at a time. For each cup (8 oz) of unset jelly, measure 1 1/2 teaspoons of powdered pectin, 1 Tablespoon water, and 2 Tablespoons of sugar (set sugar aside). Combine water and pectin in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over med-high heat stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
Add unset jelly and sugar, stirring to blend evenly. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil hard 30 seconds and remove from heat. Skim foam if needed. Ladle hot jelly into hot jars with 1/4 inch head space. Add lids and rings.
Processing in a boiling water canner the same amount of time as the original recipe.

Some jams and jellies need at least two weeks until they set.

I forgot to ask, did you use the type of pectin that the recipe called for? If you need instructions for liquid pectin, please let me know.

I gave up on jellies for exactly that reason -- most of the time, it wouldn't set up for me. I don't do "yeast" either -- could have built a house with all the brick bread I made over the years before I finally just decided I was neither a baker nor a jelly maker!

Latest posts