Muscadine jelly

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
A friend has an over-abundance of muscadines this year and has invited me over to pick some. I want to make some good, old fashioned jelly. Anybody have a detailed recipe that they would share?

I don't generally make jelly's, only jams.
The procedure for jelly is about the same regardless of the fruit.
I recommend using pectin rather than long cook methods for jams & jellies. The finished product is fresher tasting.
I also recommend using the no/low sugar needed pectin. It allows you to use only as much sugar as you want to get the flavor desired. Standard pectin has a very specific sugar/juice ratio that I find to be to sugary and not fruity enough. You need to taste test a little when making the batch, but it's worth it in the end, especially if you have a naturally sweet fruit that doesn't need much sweetening.

Here is one recipe...I've not tried it, but there are directions included for using no/low sugar pectin. Everything looks about right to me so it should make a fine jelly.
http://www.pickyourown.org/muscadinejelly.htm

CottageFarm":2rjcatnp said:
I don't generally make jelly's, only jams.
The procedure for jelly is about the same regardless of the fruit.
I recommend using pectin rather than long cook methods for jams & jellies. The finished product is fresher tasting.
I also recommend using the no/low sugar needed pectin. It allows you to use only as much sugar as you want to get the flavor desired. Standard pectin has a very specific sugar/juice ratio that I find to be to sugary and not fruity enough. You need to taste test a little when making the batch, but it's worth it in the end, especially if you have a naturally sweet fruit that doesn't need much sweetening.

Here is one recipe...I've not tried it, but there are directions included for using no/low sugar pectin. Everything looks about right to me so it should make a fine jelly.
http://www.pickyourown.org/muscadinejelly.htm

Thanks. I am going to try this recipe. I have about 15lbs of muscadines. That should make enough jelly for many, many moons.

I've used canning/freezing instructions from that pickyourown website for several years. Haven't lead me wrong yet.

HOSS":1viptlc5 said:
A friend has an over-abundance of muscadines this year and has invited me over to pick some. I want to make some good, old fashioned jelly. Anybody have a detailed recipe that they would share?

I had an over abundance of them as well while they weren't ripe... By the time I went to pick them the birds and whatever else eats them cleaned me out. I guess I will try next year. I will miss the wine.

How much did you get with 15lbs, we make some blackberry jelly and it sure takes alot of Berries to get enough juice.

denvermartinfarms":tfn4uhof said:
How much did you get with 15lbs, we make some blackberry jelly and it sure takes alot of Berries to get enough juice.
I got 6 pints and 3 small jelly jars.

Latest posts