Wild mustard...

Help Support CattleToday:

TiffanyS

Reaction score
I planted high quality alphalpha, Timothy, fescue, grass seed and it is loaded with mustard seed. Is anyone else having this issue?

Welcome to CT!
How many acres of seeding are you talking about? Herbicides are going to kill your alfalfa. From what I can find wild mustard is an annual. So if you now your hay before the mustard goes to seed you will eliminate most of it.

With all due respect eliminating most of your mustard is little more than a reseeding formula. You may want to rotate back to a row crop
in order to apply the necessary chemical for eradication. Also if you are having custom work done as regards your hay then I suggest that
all machinery be power washed to cut down on the possibilty of seed introduction. Also manure coming from mustard laden hay should
not be hauled back to the field the following spring. I suggest piling your manure and letting it set for a year or more so the fermentation
can destroy any or as much live seed as possible. Go after mustard with everything at your disposal. If you have a patch of mustard and
you have to sacrifice a piece of ground to kill it then do it. I would kindly remind SBMF that mustard has to be cut before it blooms to
eliminate it. The elapsed time from blossom to viable seed is so short that it is not worth the risk of waiting a few days to cut.
From my point of view mustard is worse than a dead wire in a rotational grazing program. Anyone dealing with mustard has my support
and sympathy.

Latest posts