spraying wild cherry stumps

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
im gonna be cutting alot of wild cherry trees in the woods and the pasture this winter and was wondering what yall use to spray and kill the stump, i want to make darn sure i kill them because i dont want them re sprouting and the cows coming back and breaking them off in summer and having them wilt. i also have some fence i need to reclaim grown up very bad in brush green briers and trees. ive tried hitting back in the summer with a light dose of crossbow and once with glyphosate and it didnt work too good, but i really hate to use something that kills grass

Tree stumps I use the chemical picloram. The product name is Tordon RTU.
....Been told it is best to apply to a cutoff stump in the Fall so it goes down into the roots. Things are growing in the Spring and it might get pushed up and out instead of going down.

For something like that I usually use a mix of Triclopyr 4 and diesel (20-30% herbicide mix). If you had something like Ailanthus it works as a basal bark treatment for that too.

As far as the fence line, I have had good luck with crossbow. I'm not sure what is a light dose but that could of been your problem?

For something like that I usually use a mix of Triclopyr 4 and diesel (20-30% herbicide mix). If you had something like Ailanthus it works as a basal bark treatment for that too.

As far as the fence line, I have had good luck with crossbow. I'm not sure what is a light dose but that could of been your problem? well i mixed the crossbow 1 gallon in 50 gallons of water plus serfactant. the triclopyr if i was to also use in on the fence this spring would it kill the brush better and does it kill grass also? just thinking itd be nice if i could use it to kill the stumps and brush also

Crossbow has 2-4d and Triclopyr in it. You could check the label and see if you can up the amount. I never have had any issues killing stuff with it. My sprayer has a wand that is like shooting a fire hose (ok, not quite). I drove down the road shooting everything in the fence line and it cleaned it up good. When i use the boomless spray nozzle it didnt do a good job so I think it was a matter of how much volume I was using.

I have used Garlon 4 mixed with diesel with great results in the past at home and at work. Garlon 4 is the forestry application which is a stronger % of Triclopyr.
I have used it on Cherry. Use anytime the tree is dormant is why I like it. I can do it in the winter when I have more time.

I have used Garlon 4 mixed with diesel with great results in the past at home and at work. Garlon 4 is the forestry application which is a stronger % of Triclopyr.
I have used it on Cherry. Use anytime the tree is dormant is why I like it. I can do it in the winter when I have more time.
Method of application on cherry?

I'm probably not telling you anything but Triclopyr 4 is the same and the only reason I mention it is because I have always found it cheaper then Garlon 4. Are you mixing it at 20-30% with diesel as well?

I'm probably not telling you anything but Triclopyr 4 is the same and the only reason I mention it is because I have always found it cheaper then Garlon 4. Are you mixing it at 20-30% with diesel as well?
You are correct. I'm just accustomed to using the Garlon name because that's what we use at work.

I think I can remember reading that the window of opportunity to paint the stump is only a few minutes after cutting it if you want the max effect. Apparently they seal over pretty quick
Yes. It is very important to do the cut stump treatment within 30 minutes of cutting the tree or sapling down and this applies to most species. The stump and root system, doesn't 'know' the rest of the tree is gone and it just keeps pushing sap/nutrients up to the cutoff, which then seals over the surface and prevents the herbicide solution from entering the part of the vascular system that goes down to the roots.

I usually do the slash (hack) and squirt of 50/50 remedy ultra/diesel in the fall right before tree foliage begins to change color. (Remedy Ultra's active ingredient is triclopyr) It is during this period, that most of the activity in the vascular system is down rootward, which is what causes the leaves to change color then fall off. A few slashes with a hatchet, about 20-30" above ground, with the cut angled down toward the ground... not a straight horizontal slash. Only takes a few squirts with a spray bottle. I try not to completely circle the girth of the trunk. If you do, there is no movement of sap to the root system and the root system will receive no herbicide.

hacknsquirt.jpg
A tree this size, I would put about 4, maybe 5 cuts that size around the trunk, leaving some peripheral area untouched.
The diesel will probably kill grass around the tree but the triclopyr itself does not.
I have killed hundreds of sweetgum, chinese tallow, ironwood, pine, and cedar with the above method.

Everything I've heard or read says that new cutdown and cut stump treatment is effective regardless of the time of year on most tree species except in the dead of winter when there is very little vascular movement in either direction.

I do try tho, to do the slash(hack)/squirt thing before a seed bearing tree begins producing seed.
Lots of youtube vids on how to do both cut stump and hack/squirt treatments.

Last edited:

Latest posts