eliminating wild blackberries

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
North Texas pasture. I have 1-2 acres of random wild blackberries in a pasture. I am strongly considering to spray diesel and remedy or maybe water and remedy. I feel the remedy and diesel will more easily reach the root system in this dormant season. I know it will be a multi year project, but would like to make headway quickly. Any guidance or experience to share? Thanks you

Wait until summer now and spray when there is plenty of vigorous growing leaf on them. I use Grazon, very effective. Wait about 6 months to push up the dead canes and burn. I wish everything was as easy to get rid of as blackberry.

Ken

If your only talking about 1-2 acres shred it now and spray the new growth next summer with whatever chemical you decide. In dormant season it's pretty much a waste to spray. But as stated it's probably a 2-3 year process to eliminate it all. Blackberry has a 2 year lifecycle. It grows the first year and has berries the second year.

I've been very successful with 1 qpa Remedy in water with a good surfactant. As everyone said you need to do it again the next year but there will be very little on year two.

BC is correct. Spray Surmount when they are flowering in early summer. You can get a good kill in one year if you can get them sprayed in this narrow window so be ready. I had patches of them in the fence line and at random spots in the pasture. I spot sprayed mine off of a 4 wheeler.

Spraying now will probably not help much.

In western Washington (a long ways from you) I had the best kill by spraying with Crossbow the first couple weeks in September. That timing the plants are sending things down to the roots. Dormant spraying is spiting in the wind.

This is from Virginia's Pest Management Guide. Not sure how accurate the month will be in your particular area, but you can consider your climate/region compared to Virginia and take a crack at timing. I'd have to disagree with Kenny on his clipping comment. (no offense Kenny) I agree with the comments below that clipping prior to (up to one year) chemical application can decrease efficacy of the pesticide. I've made that mistake! Let them go for now and be ready to torch them with any/or combination of the ingredients below. It'll do the job1607730756302.png

This is from Virginia's Pest Management Guide. Not sure how accurate the month will be in your particular area, but you can consider your climate/region compared to Virginia and take a crack at timing. I'd have to disagree with Kenny on his clipping comment. (no offense Kenny) I agree with the comments below that clipping prior to (up to one year) chemical application can decrease efficacy of the pesticide. I've made that mistake! Let them go for now and be ready to torch them with any/or combination of the ingredients below. It'll do the jobView attachment 1138

Well I do understand why you disagree. Guess I was thinking about the blackberry canes from 2020 even though the ones for 2021 are already there. I do stand by saying it's too late to spray this year. At least in VA.

Well I do understand why you disagree. Guess I was thinking about the blackberry canes from 2020 even though the ones for 2021 are already there. I do stand by saying it's too late to spray this year. At least in VA.
It is definitely too late to spray for them this year.

Thanks for all the educational replies. In preparation of the spring spraying, I think it might be best to mow the area to get rid of the old growth so when I do spray I hit nothing but new growth. Is blackberry one of those plants that will start another plant with the cuttings left in the pasture?

Thanks for all the educational replies. In preparation of the spring spraying, I think it might be best to mow the area to get rid of the old growth so when I do spray I hit nothing but new growth. Is blackberry one of those plants that will start another plant with the cuttings left in the pasture?
Do not mow now. You will not have enough leaf surface to apply the herbicide next spring and the plants will have an extensive root system.

North Texas pasture. I have 1-2 acres of random wild blackberries in a pasture. I am strongly considering to spray diesel and remedy or maybe water and remedy. I feel the remedy and diesel will more easily reach the root system in this dormant season. I know it will be a multi year project, but would like to make headway quickly. Any guidance or experience to share? Thanks you
Better yet, pick and send to Greek and Silver..........

Well the white flowers are starting to pop up now, so I am getting ready to roll. Going to use Remedy. Should I remedy and water or Remedy and diesel. Should I wait for ALL the plants to flower as maybe 20% are flowering. What is the timeframe the flowers are around and the best timing involved? Thanks all.

Wait until about 50% are in bloom. Use Remedy +2,4-D and water witha good surfactant. Plan on treating again next year as there will be some regrowth. Surmount even though it is more expensive does a better job if you are just gong to treat one time. Speaking from experience.