Wild Hog Damage

Help Support CattleToday:

You know a friend and I were just talking the other day about booking a hog hunt somewhere. Maybe y'all should start guiding during the season. Make some extra money and thin out the hogs too. Heck, I'd be willing to come down and let you get some free (for both of us) guiding experience. :D

:D Ya, we do some guiding but we don't just advertise. We take people off of referenses or if they ask. The liability and hastle of doing guided stuff out weighs the money some times. Guided hog hunts aren't bringing the big money like deer and other things are. You can get on pretty decent hog hunts for a couple hundred bucks.

ALX. said:
If we ( hunters and farmers ) could have at em we could almost exterminate them. What is different about hogs? ( Aside from the obvious ).

quote]

They are so prolific. The reproduce like fleas and you have to stay on em constantly.

Horticattleman":2wdblqt2 said:
ALX.":2wdblqt2 said:
If we ( hunters and farmers ) could have at em we could almost exterminate them. What is different about hogs? ( Aside from the obvious ).

They are so prolific. The reproduce like fleas and you have to stay on em constantly.

Perhaps someone needs to turn loose a bunch of dominant, infertile boars?

They are so prolific. The reproduce like fleas and you have to stay on em constantly.[/quote]

Perhaps someone needs to turn loose a bunch of dominant, infertile boars?[/quote]

Sounds like one of the brilliant plans for controlling the Elk population in Rocky Mtn National park. Only exceded in its stupidity by the new plan which is to hire Gorernment sharpshooters to murder them instead of opening a one week hunting season and letting some hunters provide for their families. Sorry for the rant, lately I hate the government for just that kind of BS

I few infertile boars would do nothing to stop the rapid growth explosion of hogs. There are just too many of them. Constant hunting and trapping is going to be the best means of control, as I don't see how they could ever be eradicated. The thing with hogs is that they don't have a particular home range like deer have. You may see a lot one night and then not see anymore for a while.

Were reproduction the only thing that was targeted it probably wouldn't control the population as needed, but what if it were used only to keep the population from increasing, and then when the hogs are aggressively hunted and trapped, you could actually make a dent in the population?

No idea. We don't have hogs up this way. I do recall something about -- was it screwworms? -- where the gov released large numbers of infertile flies to breed with the existing population, and that worked.

I have some old college buddies living over in East Texas who hunt hogs. They castrate all the boars they catch and turn them loose again. Helps a little bit I guess til another dominant boar moves in.

Latest posts