Wild Hog Damage

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Here are some pics I took this morning. This damage was done last night... yes one night... around 2AM... and I have seen worse. Remember this when the anti-s want to stop hunting, trapping, running dogs, and all that other good stuff. :x

I will try and keep this thread updated as the damage grows.

002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

This is deer.
004-1.jpg

oh man looking at a corn field messed up like that makes you sick to your stomach.i think id stay in the corn field all nite an do some hunting.if it keeps up they going to ruin the whole field.

Wild hogs were about out of control around here, but a couple of years ago some guys started trapping them. An enclosed truck came by, picked them up and delivered them to a kill plant in Texas. They were shipping the meat to somewhere in Europe. They didn't get a lot of money for the hogs, but they thinned the population around here pretty good.

The first three pics are hogs, the last one is deer. Hogs break it off at the ground, deer eat the tops and leave it about knee high or so.

They have traps all over this place. Hard to get them to walk in a suspicious, metal trap with corn in it when there is 1000+ acres of corn for the taking. :)

no you cant build a hogg proof fence to keep wild hoggs out.they will ripp through amy fence you build.an bend steel corral panels.an twist wire hogg panels.

Frankie":4hl13oey said:
Wild hogs were about out of control around here, but a couple of years ago some guys started trapping them. An enclosed truck came by, picked them up and delivered them to a kill plant in Texas. They were shipping the meat to somewhere in Europe. They didn't get a lot of money for the hogs, but they thinned the population around here pretty good.

I think they're going to Japan. Some fellers around my neck of the woods were sellin' 'em to folks who were shippin' over there. Brought pretty good money, too.

You sure you don't have you some alien crop circles going on there?

Been listening to CB and bhb and others talk damage from hogs, thanks for putting a visual on it.

What protects them, from what I gather the law doesn't protect them.

We (farmers) here have a deer problem, I regularily see 80 or so on a 15 mile trip. They are protected. Seen 37 at a time in some of my fields.

If we ( hunters and farmers ) could have at em we could almost exterminate them. What is different about hogs? ( Aside from the obvious ).

Not expressing an opinion, just very curious.

I know you are an entrepeneur Brute, I smell money in hog hunting.

Alx....down here you can get a permit from P&W Dept to harvest a limited number of deer that are ruining crops.

TexasBred":1ss7yujc said:
Alx....down here you can get a permit from P&W Dept to harvest a limited number of deer that are ruining crops.

They have a 2 faced similar thing here but you have to use their hunters or hunters "approved" by them.

What does limited mean? Just shoot until you break even? One guy ( farms 1000 acres cash crop ) here can prove he is losing like $30,000 in crops a year. He got like 5 tags. Nutso.

We have held illegal deer hunts, and told them we were going to do it. Very successful. They brought SWAT in to arrest one guy at his home, but he beat the charges.

When you have had enough, sometimes things change.

I heard tell of a poisoning of hogs. It seemed they where considered a problem to the local farmer who planted corn. Seems there was a fair amount of hogs found dead one day on his land. I only heard stories second hand and the landowner of the land rented the land to the govt for $1 an acre.

The numbers were stated in the hundreds of dead hogs. I kinda believe it because of my knowledge of the man who told me he saw it. He was pi$$ because it would hurt his hunting but mainly because he never got along with his neighbor .... the landowner.

The man blamed it on the neighbor. I always thought it was the govt. No one was ever prosecuted and it never made it to the papers. What ever happened, we don't have any problems with hogs there anymore.

Jogeephus":mozg2bjs said:
Here's one my boy got the other night in a corn field. BTW - that sure is some nice looking corn.

IMG_2300.jpg
Jo,I just shot one last wed that looked about the same size as that one.I am still bragging about the shot I took. A little over 150yds and with a 22 hornet.Happend to be the only rifle I had with me at the time. I layed her open and cut out the shoulders,both hams,backstrap, and tenderloin.She had about an inch and a half layer of fat under her hide. Made for some mighty fine eatin.

Cal

As for fences, they probably won't work. I saw first hand wild hog damage in southern California last year. I was surveying "freeze " damage of the avaccado groves by Temmecula (sp) that had a chain link fence and at any soft spot in the ground the hogs would dig under and go in and out at their pleasure. And the damage they did on young trees was incredible. Lead poisoning is probably the best control as in rifle shells. JLP

thats 1 big hogg.a dead hogg means 1 less to root up land.an if its a sow means 100 less hoggs over its lifetime.

Two thoughts

Rifle with spotlight attached

SSS

Good luck; hate to see you losing that kind of money.

Been going and sitting in the mornings and evenings. Shooting what we can then put the dogs on the rest. They stretched out the bottom two wires of the fence in one spot.

I am about wore out trying to work during the day and keep on those hogs. :(

Those mass killings of hogs that yall are talking about. They had some one get caught using those chemicals to do that and they had to pay, per anima,l back to the state, they killed illegally. Heard the bill went up into a couple hundred thousand dollars. :?

Brute 23":1pohtek2 said:
ALX.":1pohtek2 said:
I know you are an entrepeneur Brute, I smell money in hog hunting.

Some of the farmers to offer some incentives. They chip in on dog food, pay per head you kill, give you gas or diesel, ect.. That is about as far as it has gotten around here. :D

I was thinking offering guided hunts to rich northerners. Lots of Canucks would love to hunt hogs with a handgun - strictly illegal up here. Element of danger, movement ( stalking or with dogs, not boring stand hunting ).

Guarantee a pig, provide the weapon - I'll bet you wouldn't be able to keep up with the business.

Latest posts