Plans to capture methane from hog poo lagoons

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The world's largest pork producer is teaming up with a Virginia-based energy company to harness methane gas from thousands of malodorous hog lagoons to both heat homes and combat climate change.

Food giant Smithfield Foods and Dominion Energy, a large electric and gas utility, have agreed to spend $125 million each over 10 years to cover hog lagoons in North Carolina, Virginia and Utah, capture methane gas and feed that into Dominion's pipeline network, the companies said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-e ... 0f83335c87

RQQ2NDCIAYI6RAECCBNEI3IZXA.jpg

Will pork made from participating swine carry a special retail label?
And with a new buzz phrase to add to the long line of new age hippy buzzwords and phrases already out there?
100% methane free pork

greybeard":2dkmyxbl said:
And with a new buzz phrase to add to the long line of new age hippy buzzwords and phrases already out there?
100% methane free pork
wish some of those bleeding hearts did a little time in the trenches with the hogs...it ain't all Arnold Ziffel as they believe...

ALACOWMAN":111qxpe9 said:
greybeard":111qxpe9 said:
100% methane free pork
wish some of those bleeding hearts did a little time in the trenches with the hogs...it ain't all Arnold Ziffel as they believe...
Sustainable Pork. :santa:

this is not new technology.

there was a large dairy on the Md Pa line doing this nearly thirty years ago using the cow and heifer manures.

they had several large generators running off the captured gas that powered the farm...they had an annual net negative farm electric bill.

they irrigated crops with water from the system.

they separated out the processed solids and stored them in a large composting yard and sold the compost...

it has a high implementation cost...it takes superior management..but it is socially responsible and potentially profitable over the lang term.

I know of 4 large dairies in the PNW with operating methane digestors. I did a lot of work with one looking into it 25 years ago. It came down to if he could sell the extra electricity for retain price versus wholesale price it would pencil out over time. Two of the four operating now had some outside help to pay for construction. They are not cheap to build. Maybe they would work in areas with higher electrical cost.

I wonder why they haven't thought of putting one of these things over the Everglades. All that methane might solve the energy crisis. Or is that methane somehow different?

Well there have been stories on our local news years ago about energy from trash but when I contact the reporters about the stories they are unable to find anything deeper.....in other words they got shut down

There is a big regional garbage dump in Klickitat County WA that is capturing the methane to utilize it. I assume they are using it to generate electricity although I do not know that for a fact. They could be using it to run equipment.