Wife wants a horse

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with others about "letting her pick out her own horse." but I would not be worried about buying "an older" horse for a new rider. One that is sound and in good health can teach her a bunch! My best education was on older really broke horses! So do not discount them.

branguscowgirl":q49wsbgs said:
Oh boy, not as easy as choosing cattle! Better get an experienced horse person to give you a hand and try them out for you. A good place to start is a good ole ranch gelding that has "been there, done that." No stallions! No young, just "green broke" either!
Feed is dependent on the horse. Best to have 2 together. (herd animals)
As I said, a mentor would be valuable. I can go on for ever on the "do's and don'ts of buying horses!

Amen to that!
We have Longhorns and Tennessee Walkers (plantation type, not show type). All are kept separate. Horses are a money pit. Feed, grooming, Vet care, Farrier, Tack, etc. Unless a person is an experienced horse person, avoid stallions, and any sex under 4 or 6 years old. Should already be saddle trained and not spooky. Figure $750 to $1,000 a year upkeep if you keep them yourself. If you have to board them out, double that cost. Secure, safe pasture or other area needed. They have a tendency to get into trouble and/or hurt themselves. Buy from a reputable breeder (take an experienced person with you to select). Avoid any "sales" and other discounted offers. You need 2 to keep each other company. A mare is another issue in itself (a good gelding is best)...mares tend to have PMS...lol.

Get two. You can write off all of their up-keep and solve your problem of moving cattle from pasture to pasture. They're happier together and you and her will have fun together. :D
Good ones are not hard to have around. I jumped on a mare today that I haven't been on in a few months and did a half-days work and she acted like she gets rode every day. You can avoid problems even with the bad ones once you feel out their quirks and work with them. Avoiding trouble can be as easy as saddling them really quietly BEFORE you do your morning chores and let them stomp around and fret and get it all out of the way before you ask them to do anything.

I know you decided against horse shopping right now but I wanted to add my opinion anyway. Depending on the individual horse, you will be fine with a single horse and you will be fine with a mare. Mares being reproductive creatures are somewhat more emotional then geldings but I'm sure your wife will not be looking for just a co-worker when she is ready for a horse. As for breed I am going to suggest a Connemara, they are super easy keepers with willing quiet temperments. When your child is old enough it can be passed on to the child and your wife can get something more challenging.

I wouldn't try to surprise her with a horse, but tell her she can get one if she wants. And set a budget together for it so there are no misunderstandings. It should be a gelding, no hormonal mood swings and also ensures she won't be tempted to get into breeding it.

Happy wife, happy life. If it would mean a lot to her you should go ahead and let her get two. It would be a great activity for the kids, too. You either love horses or you don't. If she has the love then it would enrich her life.

MO_cows":377w6aax said:
I wouldn't try to surprise her with a horse, but tell her she can get one if she wants. And set a budget together for it so there are no misunderstandings. It should be a gelding, no hormonal mood swings and also ensures she won't be tempted to get into breeding it.

Happy wife, happy life. If it would mean a lot to her you should go ahead and let her get two. It would be a great activity for the kids, too. You either love horses or you don't. If she has the love then it would enrich her life.

Excellent post, thanks.

If your wife does not have any experience with horses, buy her riding lessons first. After 6 months to a year, then start looking for a horse for her.
I have had many parents join our 4-H club who want to buy a horse for their child. They don't know anything about horses and the kid doesn't either. I give them the same advice as you.
Do not get a rescue horse. Very often those have huge holes in their training and are a disaster for an inexperienced person.
What is your price range? For a well trained horse that knows it's job and won't get upset if the rider makes mistakes, expect to pay $2500 or more.
Honestly, buying the horse usually the cheapest part of the equation. They require hoof care every 6 weeks and vet care (vaccinations, deworming) is more expensive than cattle. When you buy a saddle, don't buy a cheap foreign made one. A good used well made western saddle will cost $500 or more. The good new ones are over $1000. And I am not talking about a show saddle.
I really understand about your wife wanting a horse. We have 6 and I've loved horses as long as I can remember.

ETA: Even since your wife had a horse when she was younger, still offer to get her riding lessons so that she will be in shape when it does come time to shop for a horse.
I don't know your wife and I don't mean to sound cold, but just because a person had a horse in the past does not mean that the person was a good rider. Safety first :)

Or maybe that other classic ford made, now a vintage classic. Go with a 1972 pinto, just remember it's not about color! It's about style. :nod:

Calhoun, if she is still interested in a horse pm me. I have one that is pastured with cattle 24/7. I am getting out of horses. This is my wife's horse. Can sell with a good saddle too.

I know your wife wants a yellow horse but don't get hung up on a color. It's what's underneath that counts. BTDT. Some good advice has been given. Buy the best saddle you can afford. If you like the saddle keep it after you sell the horse. They don't eat and if you feel like you want to ride again, you can rent a horse and have a comfortable saddle.

If she really wants one, excellent time to buy....but I'd definitely make sure she wants to put time in it..else they are taking up space and eating grass cows can be..don't run just one with cattle either they get bored and run em ..if the cattle market tanked like the horse market has we're screwed

Latest posts