Wife wants a horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
With tax time coming I'm thinking we may get a decent refund and thought about surprising my wife with a horse. She loves horses and had one when she was younger. I know nothing about them on the other hand. Since we got married and had our son she really doesn't have any hobbies other than being mom/wife. She used to have an atv but we sold it when she got pregnant.

From hearing her talk she likes the palominos. I'm not sure if I should get a male/female/cut male in terms of temperment. I know a guy who deals with horses but not sure if I can find his contact info since we moved. Is craigslist a good place to buy a horse? Would it hurt anything to keep the horse in the same pasture as my cattle? What about feed? I assume in the spring/summer they will pick grass like cattle? Any help would be great thanks.

IMO
Gelding only
Mares can be bought cheaper, but most act marish(sp) and are a problem among other horses but as I stated that's just my opinion, some like them
There maybe some good craigslist horses but it wouldn't be my choice
Facebook has lots of groups for selling horses
There are lots of junk horses, but there are some good ones on there too
I'm my area there are catalog sales, I'd assume in your area also
I'd sure try to find someone to help before I'd go it alone without experience

Oh boy, not as easy as choosing cattle! Better get an experienced horse person to give you a hand and try them out for you. A good place to start is a good ole ranch gelding that has "been there, done that." No stallions! No young, just "green broke" either!
Feed is dependent on the horse. Best to have 2 together. (herd animals)
As I said, a mentor would be valuable. I can go on for ever on the "do's and don'ts of buying horses!

give your wife some money and your blessing and or conditions and get the heck out of the way......
way too many variables for you to make a suprise package purchase.....

wether the horse can be with the cattle or not depends on the horse.....

most of mine are fine with cows....but my big mare just loves to chase em...she chases until they have to go thru the fence....

again too many variables.

Take it from a guy who has 6 horses ..... Buy her a 4 wheeler! Heck of a lot cheaper in the long run! :D

If it is a horse, buy a gelding, lot less headaches and attitude. Buy a well broke gelding 7 to 12 years old, not too young not too old. I would go with a cool blooded breed and stay away from hot breeds, such as Arabs and thoroughbreds. Can't beat a good Quarter Horse or Paint. a pinto is not a Paint, pinto is a color not a breed. Don't get hung up on finding a certain color like a palomino, be more concern about what the horse knows and especially try to find out what his bad habits are .... ie, he only bucks for a few minutes when you get on and don't walk behind him he might kick! :shock: A good horse is much more important than what color he is.

If you guys know any girls or boys in FFA or gaming ask them to help you find a good horse. Have someone who knows horses look at it and ride it for you when looking to buy. Make sure they clearly understand what your plans are for the horse, trail rides, ranch horse, youn kids horse, pasture ornament.

Just to add a couple of things, what everyone said! Too many variables to surprise your wife with a nightmare.

Also, a pair of four wheelers are much cheaper in the long run.

I would go gelding and quarter horse. Defiantly have someone who knows horses help you, you might find a deal, but genrally a horse isn't something I would recommend bargain hunting for.

I have 3 and this is my favorite of all of them.

If you really want to surprise her with a horse, go buy a really pretty stuffed (or other toy) horse and wrap it elaborately, along with the cash to buy the real one. Let her decide when she's ready for one and let her pick it out.

Buying one for her, while the gesture would be deeply appreciated, could be a disaster in the making. :2cents:

Here's the horse I surprised my wife with! :D He's a kid friendly, anyone can ride, "bombproof" horse. He just needs a gentle hand. :shock: :cowboy:

BTW, there is no such thing as a bombproof horse, any horse any day.

not trying to talk you out of the horse.....trying to talk you out of the idea of you buying one for her......

have no idea of her ability to pick a horse but your plan was not going to work for anyone....

Calhoun Farm":2af97xy2 said:
I think you guys have talked me out of it. I'll give her money for shopping spree!

Some of what I said was tounge and cheek, didn't intend to talk you out of it. There is just a lot to consider with a horse, but there is a lot of reward from being partnered with a good horse. The horse I pictured is my only horse, my wife has five well broke horses. Mine is a 6 yr old QH stallion that we had his mare AI'd and he was born on our place. I raised and trained him and after 30 yrs of horses I can say he is by far the horse I have loved the most. He has a good head, brain, kind and gentle. But he can be a challenge for me, that's what I really like. Between his yearling year and 2 yr old year we had some real wars, but things worked out. In the pic he was just feeling good and playing around after getting turned out.

It's worth talking to your wife about and get her thoughts, you never know she may be very excited about the thought or she may just say she wants to wait a few years. Don't let any of us change your mind. My apologies.

Alan

I sure am glad my wife wants alpacas instead of a horse lol Atleast an alpaca can help pay for itself a horse is just a money pit.

I'd like to add horses are expensive when you figure monthly worming, a farrier, yearly vaccines, and tack
I would guess she'll be like all women and buying tack is never ending :D
But with that said if that's what she wants I'd buy one for each of you and it'd give yall something to enjoy together

One horse is not much use( Unless you board at a public barn). A horse without a trailer is of limited use.
Having a horse involves being social

Howdyjabo":oufop8m6 said:
One horse is not much use( Unless you board at a public barn). A horse without a trailer is of limited use.
Having a horse involves being social

No it doesn't. A stock trailer works fine for hauling a horse.

Now I find myself defending buying a horse. :shock: :lol:

After reading some of the posts and thinking about it I'm going to put buying a horse on hold for awhile. I had forgotten how much work and money they require. We both work full time and farm on the side, plus we're parents. Maybe in a few years we can buy two and ride togather. The board just saved me alot of trouble lol.

Calhoun Farm":q1515yh1 said:
After reading some of the posts and thinking about it I'm going to put buying a horse on hold for awhile. I had forgotten how much work and money they require. We both work full time and farm on the side, plus we're parents. Maybe in a few years we can buy two and ride togather. The board just saved me alot of trouble lol.
It really did save you alot of trouble, one horse when you don't have a use for one isn't a great idea. Just alot of trouble.

Latest posts