Width of Stock Trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new stock trailer....

I'm planning on buying a 16 ft gooseneck to pull behind my 3/4 ton Ford. The model I'm looking at comes in two "width" options:
* 6 foot
* 6 foot, 8inch

So, anyone have an opinion on whether the 6' or 6'8" width is the way to go? Does an extra 8 inches really gain anything? Does the added width create any problems? What width is your current trailer?

You probably can haul one extra large animal on the 6-8. The added width doesn't create any problems unless you run into a set of pens specifically made for the narrow trailer. Even then you can usually work around it. I personally would not buy anything less than 6-8. Buy aluminum if you can afford it. Easier on your vehicle, and a heck of a lot better resale value if you want to move up.

I have a 24ft 6'8 WW brand and i would not want a trailer any smaller. If i were you and there is not a reason that a 16ft is all that will work for you, i would atleast consider a 20ft trailer. And no i have never seen any downside to the extra width, or length. Are you looking at gooseneck brand or something else?

I'm actually looking at a WW brand "Runabout" model....

16ft is probably all I need for my operation, but was leaning towards the 6'8" width. Denver, have you been pleased with your WW trailer?

OklaBrangusBreeder":28ag0x4f said:
I'm actually looking at a WW brand "Runabout" model....

16ft is probably all I need for my operation, but was leaning towards the 6'8" width. Denver, have you been pleased with your WW trailer?
WW makes a good trailer. You definitely want the 6-8.

Get the wider one , I did , it might not make a lot of difference for loading cattle , but I use it to haul my skid loader , it has a 66in bucket and it wouldn't fit in a 6ft . If you ever need to haul something else in it you won't be as limited to what fits in.

6'8 would be better. 20 footer will be real handy. Good trade or resale value. Your f250 will tow either. WW makes good trailer. Hauled from factory back in early. 80's

If you can afford a 20 foot, go with it. You never know when you might need the extra 4 feet. Better too large, than too small. A longer trailer will usually pull better too.

I have a 16 foot ww, hard for an old man to back up. I had a 20 foot neckover some time back and I could thread a needle with it. I think that the 4 extra foot man it easier to back up.

I have a 16 foot 6 foot wide gooseneck now and it's awful handy to haul the occasional cow, bull, or calves to the sale. We move our cows a couple of times a year though and all those trips sure are a time killer. When I buy a new one it will be at a minimum 20 foot and 7 foot wide.

I have been very pleased with my ww, it has torsion axles and i like that to. Does the trailer you are looking at have a sliding gate or butterfly gates? both have good points.

Since we are talking about trailers, what are a few of the pros and cons on the sliding and butterfly gates? Which would you prefer and why.

I'd go with the 6'8" wide for sure. Just a little more comfortable for most everything. As far as length goes, you should be fine with a 16' if you don't have a whole bunch of cows and don't very often haul them around (from one pasture to another). I have a 24' x 6'8" Circle D, and I just recently sold a 16'x6'8" WW (pulled it a lot for 2 1/2 years, never spent a penny on it, and was offered $1000 profit on it - sounded too good to turn down at the moment, but now that I'm trying to buy another one, I'm not so sure). I pull a trailer 3-5 times a week typically, and at least half of those times are longer drives with just a few head. I love a 16' for those kind of hauls, just easier to get around tighter places with, but I know most people don't do as much of that as I do.

As far as swing/slide vs. butterfly gates, it mostly depends on the kind of places you usually load out of. If you load out of alley's, it's by far easiest to just use a slide - you can just open one butterfly there, but you have to open it to the inside, so you have to be in the alley to close it, and if you have a full load or just cattle trying to come back out it can be difficult and even dangerous. On the other hand, if you load out of wider gates, butterfly's are nice because you don't have to be as exact in backing up - just open a gate to either side and they take up the slack for you. With a swing slide you have to (barely) bump the left corner of your trailer to the gate post, being sure you have room to get your gate open, and swing it to the right. I prefer swing/slide myself, I know many that prefer butterfly's.

The one thing I won't buy is a single swing gate with no slide -guess those are mostly meant for horses, but you sometimes find them on stock trailers. Matter of fact I drove a couple of hours to look at one that looked great in the pics (regular center gate, not horse dividers) but never actually showed the back gate. Lesson learned - ask if you can't see it. I never even thought about it not having a slider...

I prefer the swing gate with a slide. I currently have a trailer with the butterfly gates and they are bent to $hit as two cows tried to go out with only one gate open. My gates have a pin that locks the bottom of each gate and then have a slide bolt that locks the two together. Also, when loading a full trailer you have to get right in behind them to shut my butterfly gates. I've been kicked at more than once due to this and this has also contributed to the gates being bent to $hit.

Check out a roll up gate. Much better than a slide. Rool up will stay closed no matter what and is wider so they don't hang as they come out of the door.
Couldn't give me a butterfly unless I already knew where I could sell it.

Right now my trailer has butterfly gates. I do alot of hauling, and some is for other people and you never know what kind of pen you will be loading out of, just tonite i hauled some where i had to swing half the gate to the inside and the other half to the outside to get them loaded, a sliding gate would not have worked very good tonite, but most of the time i think a sliding gate would be best and my next trailer will have one, but i will be keeping my current trailer to for different situations.

Latest posts