wich one???

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
A man can sell me soy hulls by the ton for $145 a ton or soy hull corn gluten mix for $165.... which should i use to feed to 250lb calves.thanks

I use the soy hull/corn gluten mix for calves that size to supplement grass and/or hay. Been doing it for several years and it works well for me. You need to keep out a high calcium loose mineral mix. It should have a ca:p ratio of 3-4:1 as the gluten is high in phosphorus. BTW-that sounds like an excellent price. Called my supplier a few days ago and he told me $175 fob. Its gone up $28 in 3 weeks.

The soy hulls alone only run 10-12% protein, which is not enough for the little guys. The 1 situation where straight soy hulls works well is supplementing good winter pasture such as wheat, ryegrass, oats as these pastures are very high in protein where the soy hulls give them the extra energy to utilize the high protein.

Dixieangus":1zwztcgz said:
A man can sell me soy hulls by the ton for $145 a ton or soy hull corn gluten mix for $165.... which should i use to feed to 250lb calves.thanks
Have you checked to see what a good "balanced" complete feed would cost you? Might get more for you money this way.

The soy hulls/corn gluten mix is being used by several stocker operators I know with good success. As Texas PawPaw said keep your mineal program balanced.

BC":3mkkgif5 said:
The soy hulls/corn gluten mix is being used by several stocker operators I know with good success. As Texas PawPaw said keep your mineal program balanced.
Like everything else tho it too is going thru the ceiling now. Last I heard it was around $200 a ton delivered and if soybean meal keeps going up this product has no reason to go down.