Why???

Help Support CattleToday:

I've thought about using some Conley bulls back on some of our stuff. Seems like a little more practical version of OCC where they didn't forget the cattle have to grow.

plumber_greg":1ery9ejl said:
Gizmon,
Got a son of Matrix out of a Belle daughter.
Other 2 were Certified sons. Have saved several yearling heifers out of Certified, gonna' breed this spring. One of the Certified sons had a weaning ratio of 98, but gained nearly 6 lb a day at the bull feeding place in Ks.
3way, I was surprised to see on the catalog 850 lb. adjusted weights on weaning. I know for a fact that they aren't creepfeeding. Knew the calves looked good, but didn't expect that.
OCC and Conley cattle are a long way from Pharo cattle. Gotta' agree on watching the frame tho'.
A guy from Tx. bought 35 of their bulls last year and bought some more this year. His only complaint was that he thought they were getting too big too fast.
Most of their bulls will have a mature weight of around 2700. My understanding of Pharo is a mature weight of 18-2000lb. May be wrong on Pharo.

Greg I was just repeating what I have been told. As for the Pharo cattle 2,000 would be more than any I've seen or heard of. Many times 1,800 or less at maturity. Most I've seen are nice muscled but frame 3-4 and have heard of some less. Pharo in the past has had a lot of OCC bloodlines. And many of the OCC cattle don't have the mature frame size required today. I want a mature cow to weigh no less than 1,250 and several on the OCC site are smaller than that. For me they have took the moderation part too far and have lost some growth along with it. It seems that Conley has the growth. I like the looks of the Conley cattle I've seen in pics but the mature weights I've been told haven't been near 2,700. I want at least a mature frame size of 5.5 and prefer a 6.0. I hope to see some of the Conley cattle in person someday. What lots did you purchase. I would like to look at their videos.

elkwc, they get bigger than you think. Lot 14, 18, and 22. Missed on 10.
Most of Bills cows are gonna' be in that 13-14 range. Hard to judge, they are so wide and deep.
Some of the bulls will mature at the 25-2700 range. I have a Pride Rock now that will weigh 2500 if he hadn't been breeding cows all winter.gs

I've never seen a 2700 pound bull come through any sale ring in middle Georgia. A 2560 pound stein is a big animal and looks like he could jump into the seats.

Greg, did you see what the females were going for and if so did you happen to like any of the offerings?
Just curious as I am still trying to learn a thing or two about this business.

plumber_greg":333s1tdv said:
What else could they be. I see composite females for sale there. And wonder who buys them gs

Some composite bred heifers are sold locally. Most are bwf or sim angus. I asked a producer of growthy sim angus heifers how he selected replacements. He said he sent the F1s "with too much power" to the feedlot. The low power girls still made 1500# cows. :cboy:

How big are Nichols cows?

The first ones I had were 15 1600. My problem were the replaments got bigger and hard doing. Probably the Bulls I selected at that time. I w.as into too much growth. Gs

Bill Conley has good working cattle. He may show cattle, but his cattle perform on grass. I live in NY and know Bill, know what he likes. He has judged my cattle in the show ring and I have done well under him because I breed the same kind of cattle. Easy keeping, structurally correct with a good look to them.
Local people hear the averages he gets & are not willing to pay up for a good bull. Most people think $3 - 4000 is too much.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":285nbdir said:
Bill Conley has good working cattle. He may show cattle, but his cattle perform on grass. I live in NY and know Bill, know what he likes. He has judged my cattle in the show ring and I have done well under him because I breed the same kind of cattle. Easy keeping, structurally correct with a good look to them.
Local people hear the averages he gets & are not willing to pay up for a good bull. Most people think $3 - 4000 is too much.
It's amazing to me, how cheap most folks are when it comes to bulls. The Lookout son we sold this winter was deep, thick and correct, and is out of a stout Dream On cow. We priced him to a guy with 20-25 head for $2500. Too expensive, smh. We've always tried to breed a few every year in the hopes of having something good enough to sell as a bull, but with the buyers around here, it's not hardly worth it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2dypm43w said:

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see you replying to a few posts. How has your winter treating you? :clap:

Been a crazy winter. Of course, the last two were totally unusual also. 2014-15 was sooo much snow we didn't know where to put it. 2015-16 was NO SNOW. I purchased a 7' 2-auger snow blower heavy duty and never hooked it up all last winter. This winter we get 2' of snow, then 4 days later 40 and down-pouring rain, then immediately 0 or below. Been that way all winter. Very, very hard on the cattle. Lots of ice.
Fortunately, cattle are doing well. Had 32 head calve so far for "spring" calving, 1 left, due in 2 days. Got 33 calves on the ground. 3 had twins. Pair of embryo twin heifers, pair of heifer/bull, and pair of DOA heifer/bull. Old-timers on here know how I feel about twins (HATE THEM). But twin heifer embryos is a nice bonus. Especially when cow is doing a great job (both cows are).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":38wo5ftn said:
Been a crazy winter. Of course, the last two were totally unusual also. 2014-15 was sooo much snow we didn't know where to put it. 2015-16 was NO SNOW. I purchased a 7' 2-auger snow blower heavy duty and never hooked it up all last winter. This winter we get 2' of snow, then 4 days later 40 and down-pouring rain, then immediately 0 or below. Been that way all winter. Very, very hard on the cattle. Lots of ice.
Fortunately, cattle are doing well. Had 32 head calve so far for "spring" calving, 1 left, due in 2 days. Got 33 calves on the ground. 3 had twins. Pair of embryo twin heifers, pair of heifer/bull, and pair of DOA heifer/bull. Old-timers on here know how I feel about twins (HATE THEM). But twin heifer embryos is a nice bonus. Especially when cow is doing a great job (both cows are).

Very glad to hear that you and the cattle are doing well. If you have time you could posts some pictures of those nice cattle. :cowboy:

Latest posts