Why you came here?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack the "how long you been here" thread - it might be interesting to know what brought you here.

For me: My BIL liked the way my nurse cow was making nickels. He wanted one. I told him if he'd feed the nurse cow and let the calves in daily, he could graft a dairy heifer on to the nurse cow. I would haul her down there with the pens etc. He was all about it. Told him I would go help pick one out and he didn't want my help. :D He went to the dairy sale and came home with a Holstein Free Martin. I took a look at her and told he what he had done. He did not believe me. He and his daughter had already become emotionally attached. He had never heard of a free martin and started googling. Then he told me about this site and the info he found here. When I read the replies to his post, I cracked up laughing. Ya'll pegged the situation and he had no business going to the sale barn. Of course, he still knows it all. :D

I can't remember how I found this site , I think I was just searching cattle on the web and found it by accident, found it interesting and have just hung around. I like pictures of different operations and how different ranching is from one part of the county to the orther. Cow operations from one cow per acre to one cow to 50 acres or more. How some want to make money out of their cattle and others are just in it to say they have a few cows and no way they can make money if all expenses are figured correctly.

Curiosity, mostly. I was beginning attendance at a first-year Animal Science course at the U of Alta and got a booklet on various definitions, abbreviations and acronyms to everything involved with livestock and the livestock industry, as well as a bunch of websites to visit. CattleToday just happened to be one of those websites. So I thought I'd check it out, and found it to be the best cattle-related site I've since come across, not to mention something I could and have used to learn from on everything cattle.

I was on alcattle.com looking at the sales report and they had a running list of topics from CT so I clicked on one that was of interest to me and I was hooked. 8)

Isomade":93mmcdfi said:
3Ways sexy personality.

Cuz I heard Isom would be out of junior high soon and I wanted to hang out with him.:LOLOLOLOLOL of course that was 4 years ago and he is a really cool senior now!

Have been wondering myself how I came to be here and why I have stayed this long.
In the old days we had some interesting fireworks over certain topics. I vowed to myself to leave several times, but I didn't.
I think part of it now is that I'm scared to leave not knowing what color reptile Jogeephus might inflict upon us next.

I signed up for a news letter on line . One day it had an article from C T . I read post for a while . Then decided I was just as hard headed as everyone else on here and joined up. I'm glad I did its kinda fun interacting and getting others opinions . Merry Christmas Y'all

I was doing a search on John Deere hay balers and one of the links led me here. Even though I miss several of the regulars that are no longer here, I still read and learn a lot even though I am probably older than all but Dun or CB. Merry Christmas all !!!

I stumbled upon the site while doing research in college for my an Animal Science class. I don't post a whole lot, I'm more of a lurker since a lot of topics have already been covered by the time I see them.

I was researching bottle fed calf issues. Being a "married into the farm", my opinion was not always valued since i was a city girl, even after 10 years. However, since the said afore mentioned bottle calf was having problems in my opinion, i searched them out and was led to this site. I remember a few helped me along the way with this calf and nailed the problem bang on. I think one of the "on the money" posts was by Msscamp. HD might have been one to help as well.
Calf turned out well by the way. In someones freezer some time ago.
Then i kinda stuck around asking more questions, helping others and sometimes being a general pain in the a$$

TexasBred":1jlrnrbt said:
I have no idea. Apparently just stumbled across it one day.

Me too. I am just glad there is not a time counter on here like there is on a shooting forum I like to read. I looked at it one day and realized that I had spent 2 whole days of my life there.

Sooo I decided to come over here more often so I wouldn't feel so guilty.LOLOL

i to was just playing on the pc an found CT,started reading for fun.then decided id join the site.

cleaning out my shed a couple weekends ago,, threw away several stacks of old CT magazines....always enjoyed the mag.... now i dont even read the articals anymore, just come here. i gotta get a dam life :cowboy:

Back in '07 when we were losing all those calves and cows and even our vet was stumped. I did a search on google and CT came up. I looked through the info listed then found the forum and the rest is history.
Remember it was pastuerella pnuemonia. Still got some cows that had it and survived and they wheeze when they have to walk a long distance. we vaccinate for it now.

I don't really remember how I found CT, but I am glad I did. Don't have cattle anymore, but everytime i go home i still help my brother out with his.....unless its cold out. :lol: Its kinda funny how much life has changed since i joined up back in high school. There are a lot of amazing people on here and luckily enough some of them I have as friends on FB.

I am always reading about cattle and I googled my favorite cross one day, the Brahma x Holstein and a link to these boards came up and the rest is history.