why would anyone do this

Help Support CattleToday:

I have two hores and would like to buy a few cows. The problem is, I only have six acres. My question is how much tractor (hp) do you need to run a square baler? Also, how much would the equipment cost?

FROGHOLLOWFARM wrote:
plb,I would sell directly to a co op or feed store,instead of individuals they can be a pain in the butt always callin then when its time to bale or come to the barn then they're busy and can't come,they'll tie your whole day up,to me its not worth it.

Absolutely agree. Plus when the feed store cuts you a check, it is a good check. They'll buy 200 bales at a time.

This is true. But if you remember in the original post, he wanted to sell his small bales for $5 or $6 each. The feed store that is selling bales for $5 won't pay near that much when they are buying. If you cut your selling price by 50% those small bales don't look nearly so profitable.

Well lets see =
Cattle - no doubt feed with round bales.
Horses in winter - square bales.
We put up about 600 squares off several patches that neighbors just want cut. Handy for feeding the cow penned up etc. and the kids horses.
I always have horse people looking for squares in the winter and will pay 3.00 to 3.50 for grass (fesue) or mixed grass as the local hay auction puts it. I sold 3 & 4 cutting alfalfa for 6.00 from a small patch I orginally put in with the thought of using for backgrounding our calves. But at 6.00 a bale = had to sell.
I agree - hay has to be cured period. There are several guys around here with the cut bale the next day syndrom - it will cure. Just take a whiff of some of this hay the next winter. Does not have the sweet smell of good hay = It is just short of mold.
In answer to the question -
I believe if you are close to a larger population base there is a market for squares. aka horse people.
I have the last of what I am going to cut on the ground and have more than I will need. I have called a relaible horse person who ageed to buy 200 squares out of the field for 1.75.
If I figure 20 bales per that is $35 per round bale and I am done when baled.

I have to laugh at this one.... we just put up "small square bales" yesterday, I have 3 teenage boys that will just sit around all day watching tv or burn gas in the 4 wheeler so we put them to work. My husband works away from home all week and I don't know how to run the tractors (yet), and during the school year the boys are never home between school and sports, so I told hubby I wanted some square bales for the winter, it is easier to feed my calf's that are in domes/hutches with the slabs of small squares than pulling hay off of a big round. We do both, the big rounds are great for the herd of beef in the pasture and the horses, but for my holstien calfs and my pigs (yes I give some to the pigs too..) it works great for me. By the way, my boys think they were being abused because of this..we told them be thankful we don't do all of the hay this way.

cathys":u1bpmus9 said:
I have to laugh at this one.... we just put up "small square bales" yesterday, I have 3 teenage boys that will just sit around all day watching tv or burn gas in the 4 wheeler so we put them to work. My husband works away from home all week and I don't know how to run the tractors (yet), and during the school year the boys are never home between school and sports, so I told hubby I wanted some square bales for the winter, it is easier to feed my calf's that are in domes/hutches with the slabs of small squares than pulling hay off of a big round. We do both, the big rounds are great for the herd of beef in the pasture and the horses, but for my holstien calfs and my pigs (yes I give some to the pigs too..) it works great for me. By the way, my boys think they were being abused because of this..we told them be thankful we don't do all of the hay this way.

Now that's what I call good mothering.

Best reason yet to bale small squares.

Tired kids = good kids, or a little better anyway.

Boared kids = trouble.

south kentucky cattleman":2qwjxag9 said:
i was always under the asumtion that rounds bales were equilavant to 12 square bales not 20

Depends on the weight.

1000 lb round to 60lb square = 16.7 squares to 1 round

south kentucky cattleman":1wnl4hel said:
i was always under the asumtion that rounds bales were equilavant to 12 square bales not 20

Round bales can weigh 400lbs to more than a ton.

Latest posts