Why won't my new grapple operat?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I just got a new grapple for my 2016 New Holland Workmaster 50. I connected 2 new hoses to the rear remotes and tried to operate the grapple. The hoses jumped but nothing happens. I filled the new hoses with hyd. fluid before hooking up. I tried reversing the hoses at the rear remotes. No matter which way I move the remote operating handle the hoses jump and it sounds like the remotes are " clicking in bypass mode". What am I missing here?

kenojoe":23brcgs8 said:
I just got a new grapple for my 2016 New Holland Workmaster 50. I connected 2 new hoses to the rear remotes and tried to operate the grapple. The hoses jumped but nothing happens. I filled the new hoses with hyd. fluid before hooking up. I tried reversing the hoses at the rear remotes. No matter which way I move the remote operating handle the hoses jump and it sounds like the remotes are " clicking in bypass mode". What am I missing here?

What system do you have? I have a tractor I use for cleaning up that it has a button to operate the

Have you bled the system? If so probably a solenoid sticking on my landscaping tractor it had a bucket on the bucket joystick and it was messed up and wouldn't let the bucket close or open.

kenojoe":xditz3u8 said:

Neighbor has an irritating set that seem to air lock for some reason we can't figure out.
He plays with them every time he hooks them up for a few minutes.
His is a 45 Workmaster.
Once they grab he is off to the races.

I had to take off the loader for a few days but I took off all of the pressure on the hoses and grapple cylinders. Did not get to try it again. There was some air in the lines when I pressed on the couplers to let off pressure. I don't know a lot about hyd, systems. It seems like the oil had no wear to go so the hoses jumped tight. I'm sure this must be something stupid that I am overlooking. Thanks for any help.

kenojoe":2hebxdac said:
I had to take off the loader for a few days but I took off all of the pressure on the hoses and grapple cylinders. Did not get to try it again. There was some air in the lines when I pressed on the couplers to let off pressure. I don't know a lot about hyd, systems. It seems like the oil had no wear to go so the hoses jumped tight. I'm sure this must be something stupid that I am overlooking. Thanks for any help.

check for air again

Single or dual cylinder grapple?

If dual, there's a small chance that they may be hooked up wrong from the factory.

Atimm693":eafijjvp said:
Single or dual cylinder grapple?

If dual, there's a small chance that they may be hooked up wrong from the factory.

Surely you don't think a factory would build something wrong. :shock: If the hoses are right on the cylinders and the tractor its gotta be air. I'm leaning toward that anyway because of his three statements: he filled the hoses with fluid, he had air in the when he popped them off, he doesnt know anything about hydraulics.

I'm leaning more to a defective quick connector.. Try operating it really slowly back and forth, if it works going really slowly and binds at speed, that would be a telltale of the connectors not working together properly.
If this IS the case, BOTH the forward and return lines will be pressurized.

The lift cylinder on my swather does it to me all the time.

You may have already checked, but make sure your hose ends are compatible with your tractor remotes.

Kingfisher":vjaj73zt said:
So why don't you tell him how to fix his problem Mr Miller?...

Loosen the connectors and operate till good fluid flow. Tighten back up. Repeat until you're sure it's good.

kenojoe"[b:252h63nh said:
]I had to take off the loader for a few days but I took off all of the pressure on the hoses and grapple cylinders. [/b]Did not get to try it again. There was some air in the lines when I pressed on the couplers to let off pressure. I don't know a lot about hyd, systems. It seems like the oil had no wear to go so the hoses jumped tight. I'm sure this must be something stupid that I am overlooking. Thanks for any help.

Kingfisher":252h63nh said:
True Grit Farms":252h63nh said:
You have one loader line hooked up in the wrong spot.
He said he swapped hoses..call the dealer or grapple seller. They know solution.

It's one of the hoses on the loader that are hooked up wrong. Nesikep might be on it with a bad quick connect fitting.
You don't need to bleed the hydraulics on new tractors, every tractor I can think of has a open or power beyond hydraulic system. But that's the reason if one hose is on wrong it can screw everything up.

If they didn't hook the lines up wrong from factory (which would not surprise be with the little time I spent dealing with new equipment sales and service) Im leaning toward a bad quick connect. I had one on a disk give me fits before I finally figured it out and changed it.

Oh, one more thing.. make sure the supply and return from the grapple are hooked onto the same control valve! If you have 2 remotes this can happen.. try operating both remotes at the same time, and opposite each other as well (lift on both, then lift on one, lower on the other)

I disconnected all of the hoses and pushed on the coupler balls and let the pressure off of the hoses and cylinders. There did seem to be quit a bit of pressure. Hooked everything back up and it worked just fine. Is it possible that the grapple was shipped with pressure on the cylinders and hoses and when I connected my hoses to it the balls in the couplers could not push the balls in the grapple bucket couplers, thereby preventing oil flow?

kenojoe":1y8dfi0y said:
I disconnected all of the hoses and pushed on the coupler balls and let the pressure off of the hoses and cylinders. There did seem to be quit a bit of pressure. Hooked everything back up and it worked just fine. Is it possible that the grapple was shipped with pressure on the cylinders and hoses and when I connected my hoses to it the balls in the couplers could not push the balls in the grapple bucket couplers, thereby preventing oil flow?

Very possible.

If you don't have a float position, it's next to impossible to unhook a grapple without leaving pressure in the lines unless you shut the machine off and work the lever. To make things worse, most of the time you can unhook them just fine even with pressure in the lines, the problem won't show up until you try to use it again.

Latest posts