Why they can't stop the fires ... a little perspective

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
These are some pictures taken of one of the fires in Georgia. This is an actual firestorm which is a rare event. The fire-devil in the picture is estimated at 300 feet tall. (Tree in foreground is a "line tree" and is probably 90-100 feet tall and the fire-devil is at least 1/4 of a mile from the tree.) There were actually three of these fire-devils and they were strong enough to suck trees into the air just like a tornado. Am told, the column of smoke went so high, hail formed then the column collapsed under its own weight creating 50-60 mph winds in all directions carrying burning debris with it. Just thought ya'll might find it interesting as I did.

firestorm.jpg

Interesting, yes...frightening, Dear Lord, yes!

Alice

I packed supplies into half a dozen fires in Az and Colo. I have heard people talk about firestorms but have never even seen a picture of one. The fires we had out therre were never anything like what's happening in the south right now.Z

Those pictures are quite breath taking, but frightening at the same time. Hope it subsides soon, keep safe take care...Chris.

ps praying for rain for you all down there.

The reason that they can't stop it, is that they have allowed the fuel load to build to long. Stopping the natural fire regimes in the past leads to devastating wildfires in the future. Much land has evolved through natural fires over many many years. Removing fire, isn't always a good idea. Prevention is a good method whenever prescribed burning is involved. :idea:

i dont know, it seems like the okeefeenokee burns about every other year or so.

Years ago I worked in the Okeefeenokee and we all quitely hoped it would catch on fire and burn the bowels out of it since many of the small creeks and streams were simply being choked out. However, this was not a "politically correct" alternative. Its bad when politics dictate management decisions. As far as the swamp goes, this fire is long overdue and will benefit its ecosystem in the long run.JMO

So are the fires mostly in swamp land? Are many people loosing their homes like you see happen on TV in California when they have their fire season.

I have not watched TV much in last few weeks but when I did I did not see anything about fires down south. Always see it on news when fires like this are in California.

No, but the swamp is finally dry enough to burn. The fires have burned through everything; jumped interstates, highways etc. Its getting everything in its path. We have about ten lots by the house we burned in January and they have reburned twice this year. Its weird to see fire blackened land burn again. The major difference is there is little to no fire damage where controlled burning was used versus complete incineration where it wasn't. As for houses, I personally haven't seen any burn but have heard of several. Firefighters have done an excellent job saving them. People need to wake up and not stick their homes in the middle of the woods with no consideration to fire. This is just stupid in my opinion.

That looks just terrifying. :shock: I hope the fires die down soon... crossing fingers and thinking rain ...rain .... rain....

Latest posts