why not buy citrus pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
i hope this doesnt come across as advertising as it isnt. im needing some other thoughts on the citrus pellets as winter feed. hopefully i wont get in trouble..

i have access to buy it in bulk.
i sell to a few people here and there but not in any huge numbers.
i get 30$ for 350 lbs of pellets in a 55 gal drum for those that want to buy small quantity or have no storage. i supply a barrel for 10 $ if yu need one so thats not an issue.
ill fill your can and load it for ya too.
i can bring up to 7 tons at a time and dump it but no other unloading
i advertise with word of mouth and signs posted in stores and on the roadside.

it seems to me its cheap enough that there would be alot of interest but there really hasnt been...

is there any reason you wouldnt buy it?? it is somewhat low in protien though being only 10%.

I looked at it last year and after getting some info. from an extension agent I think it all came out to the low protein and TDN for $180-200 a ton it would not be much of a supplement so you might as well feed hay.

yer both right. cheaper than hay down here though and has molasses in it. works good as a management tool also but yeah...the price has gone up and is driving it a little different this yr

lotta people here cant deal with hay on a large scale cuz its hard to handle for em i guess

I can get free tractor trailer truck loads of grape fruit. free free.
Cows love it when it turns to suger.
Does just as good as yer pellots and its free. :lol:
Gotta watch they don't choke on one though ramming a hose down a choking cows throat ain't no fun.
Diesel is the only reason it has any protein because they mix molasses in it? Or does the protein come from the citrus?
I will send you the feed mixture that I buy by the ton and you can give to Tropicana so they can see what a good feed should have in it. It cost 200 a ton but its good stuff might consider mixing your pellots with it to stretch it out this winter.
Price might even be better but I can only haul 3-4 tons at a time
Give me a barrell or two I will try it out and let ya know ;-)

we aint makin it dude..its waste...byproduct..we just make it into cattle feed so we dont hafta bury it....plus it makes a little extra jack on the side.

i guess the protien comes from the molasses. i really dont know if there is any in the peel or not as it is dried and then rehydrated to make into pellet form.

geez man i aint no chemist ova here.....

That says a lot..
Who does make it?
I will still give it a try if you want to comp a barrel.
If we were still in the draught the cows would eat shoe leather.
Suspect when the flooding stops the grass won't be very good. Sour like citrus, cows might like it

That says a lot..
Who does make it?
I will still give it a try if you want to comp a barrel.
The proofs in the puddin
If we were still in the draught the cows would eat shoe leather.
Suspect when the flooding stops the grass won't be very good. Sour like citrus, cows might like it

Something else to ponder.
Citrus of any kind is not very good to add to a compost heap . It kills all the microbes that do the breaking down into compost and the heap sours.

So putting it in a cows gut will disrupt its digestion.

Cattle wont eat any sort of citrus tree and they are the best judge of what is good for them.

that is hardly the case here.

millions..literally millions of tons of these pellets are shipped all over the world for cattle consumption.
heres the analysis for ya'll to contemplate

protein 5% min
fat 2%min
fibre 16% max
moisture 12% max
calcium 2-3%
lime added to aid in processsing

if you think yer cows wont eat it im pretty sure the guy posting above can vouch for that...

ive comped him a couple since he asked

im awaiting his feedback on this board. im sure it will be like everyone elses that says their cows cant get enuff of it

Cattle wont eat any sort of citrus tree and they are the best judge of what is good for them.
I beg to differ my cows eat grape fruit by the truck loads.
they like it when the rines turn to suger and they get fat on it.
Refuse to leave the area where you place it.
Since alot of Groves and Agricultural land is being pushed out by greedy developers and politicians here in florida you see a lot of groves turned into cow pastures to keep the green belt on the property untill it gets developed, I drive by them all the time and cows eat the citrus from the trees and they reach up and eat the leaves as high as they can reach. Mr Deisel has provided me with a sample of his product which I will try out on some a dozen weening calves and see how they like it. I'll get back with some feed back in a few days.

MikeC":1i08bre6 said:

Have fed citrus pulp to cows for years.

When I was raising replacement cattle years ago I feed it by the truck load too.

so...i have posted an analysis and prices...

what would keep you from buying it??

general opinion is that its good feed.

cows like it

its reasonably priced by comp to bag feed or other types of bulk feed....

any help. why wouldnt YOU buy it and feed it to yer cows...

I gave a couple five gallon buckets to my herd this morning they bout knocked me over to get to it so they like it.
But the weening calves been in for 10 days just stood there and looked at it then I mixed in some sweetfeed what I had been giving them and they went to town on it. I imagine by the end of 45 days they will like it as much as my older cows.
If they do I will buy a few tons and mix it with my other feed for the winter dry months. The other feed I get I pay more but it is 12% and has lots of extra nutrients, which mixed with yer feed should make for some fat and happy cows.
Diesel I quess cow folks are not quick to try something new.
I want to feed out a hog and see if the citrus changes the flavor of the meat :cboy:

dieselbeef":z2wtmqb7 said:

1. I bale my own hay for winter.
2. You live too far from me.

dieselbeef":2d9kmwxq said:

cows like it

It is to pricey for me.

Edited to say
We access to other feed. I was buying ground gin trash last year for $65/ton.

dieselbeef":19cdmkvq said:

cows like it

Your kidding right? Based on those figures that were posted I would say 5% protein, low fiber and low fat all for $200 a ton, no way. I can buy hay with much better numbers for a lot cheaper per ton - plus I bale my own anyways. Now I am sure you guys down in Florida that get it cheap and have a hard time getting hay than that sure makes sense, but if you have to buy it and then on top of that pay for molasses to be added to it so it has some protein then the numbers on it does not make much economic sense. Plus, how do you have to feed it? My guess is most guys are bucket feeding it, that is higher labor. In my country if I have low value hay I will bucket feed something that I will get a lot more bang for my buck, like roasted beans or something like that.

Latest posts