why not buy citrus pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree that the low protein would keep me from buying it. Protein is what seems to make most supplements expensive. That said I can buy DDGS with roughly 30% protein for around $100/ton.

DDG around here was going for 160-180/ton.Still a much better deal than citrus at $200.

Citrus pellets as a stand alone feed is not that impressive. And it doesn't even come close to SBHs and I could get them for $160/ton
(last year I was paying $73/ton :()

That being said--Bring it up here- with the drought. Its hard to find anything at any price right now.

That being said--Bring it up here- with the drought. Its hard to find anything at any price right now.

I was fixen to say if youve been in drought conditions like we had last year youd be happy to get anything at any price. hay was completly gone and if you could find it it was so bad the cows would not eat it & they still asked 60.00+ a roll for crap.
If I would of connected with citrus pellots then@ 160 a ton I could mixed it with some other feed and saved some money.
I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but Fl is becoming very unfreindly towards Ag.
If any of you are in those drought conditions make sure you bring in your whole herd and worm and vac for blk leg, I lost 5 and could of lost a lot more if I didn't take a lot of extra steps

on the other isde sbhs and some of the other feeds avail in the midwest and texas areas arent avail here for us to winter on. we mostly get by on cotton mix and hay for our winters. there are some mixes avail but mostly they must be bought in a 20 ton min and most people really arent eqpt to handle that kind of bulk

those are the people im tryin to target. smaller ops i guess.

your market is then to beat out bagged feed that is available.

whats the going price of the cheapest feed available around you- you'll have to beat that and then some(for the lack of protein).

Can you get the manufacturer of the pellets to add urea? Its cheap and would improve the product as a stand alone feed for cows.

Howdyjabo":2r2r5nol said:
your market is then to beat out bagged feed that is available.

whats the going price of the cheapest feed available around you- you'll have to beat that and then some(for the lack of protein).

Can you get the manufacturer of the pellets to add urea? Its cheap and would improve the product as a stand alone feed for cows.
Urea is cheap? That's news to me.

your market is then to beat out bagged feed that is available
Beating bag feed prices here is not hard local feed stores, tractor supply are upwards of 8.50+ a bad for basic cattle or sweet feed. Thats why I said I would be able to use the citrus Pellots as a fill mixed with the other feed I purchase. I drive a hour away to buy feed in bags by the ton it is a real good feed but still gotta add the time and fuel ex. I pay 200.00 a ton best price I can find even if I buy ten tons at a time. So I'm happy when I got good grass I put out the extra minerals, salt blocks, and liquid feed 24% or 32% with 4%fat the cost on that is well 370 gal just cost me 412.00 yesterday.
Hard to find any feed deals in Florida. The price of hay locally they want 50.00 a roll I buy by the truck load and still pay 35.00 a roll. Diesel you should be able to sell a lot of that feed but right now grass is good. That 55 gal barrel you comp me darn near broke my finger and will lead to some backaches if you gotta move a lot of them that so far has been my biggest negative towards the feed

lb/lb protein it was cheap- the way feed ingr. have been going it could cost like gold too now :).

If only we could bottle the crap coming out of politicians mouths for a fuel source, that would free up corn for what the man upstairs intented it for.

ROCK-N-W":2g1vpc50 said:
your market is then to beat out bagged feed that is available
Beating bag feed prices here is not hard local feed stores, tractor supply are upwards of 8.50+ a bad for basic cattle or sweet feed. Thats why I said I would be able to use the citrus Pellots as a fill mixed with the other feed I purchase. I drive a hour away to buy feed in bags by the ton it is a real good feed but still gotta add the time and fuel ex. I pay 200.00 a ton best price I can find even if I buy ten tons at a time. So I'm happy when I got good grass I put out the extra minerals, salt blocks, and liquid feed 24% or 32% with 4%fat the cost on that is well 370 gal just cost me 412.00 yesterday.
Hard to find any feed deals in Florida. The price of hay locally they want 50.00 a roll I buy by the truck load and still pay 35.00 a roll. Diesel you should be able to sell a lot of that feed but right now grass is good. That 55 gal barrel you comp me darn near broke my finger and will lead to some backaches if you gotta move a lot of them that so far has been my biggest negative towards the feed

were even on the fingers fella... :p

more or less yes im trying to beat out bagged feed. somewhat less expensive and somewhat less efective. still good when the grass is bad(which aint the case right now) which is a good thing i might add. good filler as r-w mentioned to stretch out yer higher protiens as a mix.

manuf wont be adding anything for value as 85% of this stuff goes overseas and they sell about a billion tons a yr. one contractor alone moves over 650000 tons yrly...wow :shock:

ROCK-N-W":43ttdxiy said:
Cattle wont eat any sort of citrus tree and they are the best judge of what is good for them.
I beg to differ my cows eat grape fruit by the truck loads.
they like it when the rines turn to suger and they get fat on it.
Refuse to leave the area where you place it.
Since alot of Groves and Agricultural land is being pushed out by greedy developers and politicians here in florida you see a lot of groves turned into cow pastures to keep the green belt on the property untill it gets developed, I drive by them all the time and cows eat the citrus from the trees and they reach up and eat the leaves as high as they can reach. Mr Deisel has provided me with a sample of his product which I will try out on some a dozen weening calves and see how they like it. I'll get back with some feed back in a few days.
Reckon the cattle might be a little crazy and pretty bloody hungry. Never heard of it before but you learn new stuff everyday .I 'll store it for future checking if I can get some ripe grapefruit.

Don't doubt the pellets are pallatable ,there are additives put in it to make it so. You can process sugar cane waste and get cows to do well on it but its gotta be chemicalled up or they won't look at it

Reckon the cattle might be a little crazy and pretty bloody hungry. Never heard of it before but you learn new stuff everyday .I 'll store it for future checking if I can get some ripe grapefruit.

My cows get a little crazy every once in a while but if they get too crazy They go to the barn but they ain't never been blood hungry. Even though I have had a couple bite me before in the shute. They will pick up a whole grapefruite put it in thier mouth and squeeze juice fer ten feet, crush the whole thing.
I'm a telling ya they love citrus.

Diesel and others
I have a 135 ac. ranch with 50 cows and a Juicing plant is 1 mile from my place. I cut a deal with the juicer to dump his peels/pulp on my land at no charge since he needs to dump it somewhere anyhow. This will be my first year using citrus pulp so I will let everybody know how I come out.

Citrus Pulp
Description. Citrus pulp is a by-product of the orange- and grapefruit-processing industries, with over 500,000 tons produced annually in Florida. Citrus pulp has a 79% TDN and 8% crude protein concentration, making it a good energy supplement for cattle. Most citrus pulp is dried, and much of the supply was exported to Europe during the 1980s. Supplies are available during the citrus-processing season with prices fluctuating with the international market. Wet citrus pulp is available seasonally during periods of heavy harvest and may be an economical supplement for cattle within 30 miles of the processing plant.

good for you! anything free is best. i think pellets area great alternative for a lot of operators

thanks for your input cracker