Why is That

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbreed curt

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that dosen't cut his calves till there about 600 pounds . Why dose he do that do you know ?

Jogeephus":2xwvz4ju said:
Beefy":2xwvz4ju said:
supposedly you get more growth b/c of the testosterone.

That's why I do it that way. I'll cut em from 450 - 600. A lot of it depends on how busy I am.

same here.

I wait because I get to doing other things.

I am glad to have read this post I have a legit reason now.

Testosterone has little effect until later in developement boys.

I get them at 500 lbs because I missed them at birth. :lol:

Things are slow so what the h!
Re:
I have a neighbor that dosen't cut his calves till there about 600 pounds . Why dose he do that do you know ?
Because he is a cattle rancher and not a hobby farmer.
At 600 lbs is probably the first time he has anything to do with his calves, unless mamma had a problem with delivery.
And the reason for this is that he has better sense then to fool with a new born calf when in the same field with momma.
IMO anyone who fools with a new born with momma around is simply playing Russian roulette.
SL

Sir Loin":23uhq8fk said:
Re:
At 600 lbs is probably the first time he has anything to do with his calves, unless mamma had a problem with delivery.
And the reason for this is that he has better sense then to fool with a new born calf when in the same field with momma.
IMO anyone who fools with a new born with momma around is simply playing Russian roulette.
SL

i tend to sort of agree with you on this. i wonder how many purebred brahman calf birthweights are guesstimated? lol.

Beefy":9t7hggey said:
Sir Loin":9t7hggey said:
Re:
SL

i tend to sort of agree with you on this. i wonder how many purebred brahman calf birthweights are guesstimated? lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Or Brangus for that matter. I got some that will kill you dead!!! But they are mighty fine mamma cows. They just have a low EPF. (Estimated Petability Factor) :lol:

crossbreed curt":wip8vsku said:

Have you never noticed the difference in muscling (sp?) between steers and bulls? He does it because bull calves produce testosterone, and that makes for better weight gain/better muscling(sp?).

Jogeephus":34dlpoqo said:
They just have a low EPF. (Estimated Petability Factor) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beefmaster mommas just sniff you when you weigh the calf...

If my cows lick me i would think they were getting me ready to swallow. Dont mess with baby calfs unless we have to.

Sir Loin":1bsmn8c4 said:
Re:
SL

Well, all I can say in response to this post is that your ignorance is showing - again. Whle I have no doubt this is true for some people, it sure isn't true for us - or the vast majority of the cattlemen/women I know.

Must be feeling my age but I band the bull calves at about a week...while I can still sling a leg over them and do the job.
To darn old to be pushing 5 & 6 weight bull calves around.
If we are looking for a bull from a specific breeding then we will wait and see how he grows up.

Msscamp....a person has to get close enough to the cows to be able to get licked.
Still giving those singing lessons? :roll:
Dave Mc

Susie David":3bkw3fsh said:
Msscamp....a person has to get close enough to the cows to be able to get licked.
Still giving those singing lessons? :roll:
Dave Mc

Valid point, and apparently I am. :roll: :oops: :oops:

Latest posts