Why I hobby farm (photos)

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
There has been a bit of discussion on this forum about hobby farmers and fulltime farmers.

I'm a hobby farmer because I want my kids to benefit from the lifestyle and experience of owning land and livestock. When I was a kid I spent all my holidays on my Grandfather's and Uncle's farms. It was a great experience and I want my kids to have the same benefits. I'd rather them grow up with lots of space chasing cows and riding horses than sitting outside 7 11 loitering with a bunch of other bored kids getting up to no good. I'm not a cattle expert (unlikely I ever will be) but I feel fortunate to be able to own a few. I certainly appreciate all the help and shared experiences I've recieved on ths forum.

Here's a few pics of my kids enjoying our property.

IMGP0717.jpg

IMGP8305.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMGP1525.jpg

Andrew

nice pictures... are the baldies highlandX? jw

They're actally murray grey X hereford. We didn't breed them. We had a good season last year with plenty of rain so we bought them locally to fatten.

Andrew

Nothing wrong with being a hobby farmer...I'm slowly slipping into that bracket, the IRS over here frowns upon taking all the Schedule F deductions when the income slows. Looks like I'll have to make some money this year.
Thanks for sharing the pics, it looks like you have a real nice place.
DMc

Looks like you have some very good little reasons for being a hobby farmer. I envy you, I have to work so hard on things it seems like I don't get a chance to enjoy it very often. Stay small, enjoy yourself, and your family. You have a beautiful place. Thanks for the pics, and the reminder of what is most important about our lifestyle!

Latest posts