Why I could NOT be a Vet............

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake":2jkdza8e said:
Crowderfarms":2jkdza8e said:
Not that it's uncommon or inhumane, It's cut and dried ignorrance.

that would be true
I have to agree with Jake and Crowder, and IMO pet owners should be penalized for letting pets run loose and also for dumping the animals on the roads for someone else to have to care for and feed them.

It's just hard to drive pass that place, just to see the highway littered with their puppies and kittens. I couldn't say how old the puppies were, just little balls of fur. Their only crime was that they followed their mother out in the road and stood by her as she ate on some unknown creature that had been hit by a vehicle. After they were hit, they just lay on the highway until they are nothing more than a grease spot. I know they had cattle at one time. Hopefully, the cattle ran away to a better home.
I have gone by that at different times of the day only to see one of those horses tied to the porch and left to stand there in the nice Texas sun. :roll:

I like my animals and I will do without material things to keep my animals, and keep them healthy.....or I wouldn't have them, and I dread that day if it ever comes. :(

maybe you could offer to buy them there horses, and feed em up a for a bit and resell for what you would now have in them ?

Just a thought.

Speaking of which...as a follow up........ that tiny cow that prompted this thread was given to another friend of mine...I could not bare to look at it, nor could I even think about letting it into my pastures with all of my healthy cattle, and it would have had to stay in our hospital barn for months........but it no doubt is eating very well where it is at now.. And as much as I would hate to say this any other time, I am sure glad she was open when I checked her. :cboy:

Medic24,

And a very good thought.....

But I'm sure that I would be the last person they would sell their horses to. :nod:

I'm glad to hear that you found a nice place for the little cow.

Just_a_girl":e4zj2315 said:
Medic24,

But I'm sure that I would be the last person they would sell their horses to. :nod:

If Medic's idea appeals to you, how about finding a 3rd party that they don't know is associated with you to do the actual buying? Just a thought.

msscamp":33043m8a said:
Just_a_girl":33043m8a said:
Medic24,

If Medic's idea appeals to you, how about finding a 3rd party that they don't know is associated with you to do the actual buying? Just a thought.

msscamp:

Hey lady!

Been following your posts for a while. I figure you need to have a long look at yourself.

You got lots on the go and I am not being a smart @ss when I ask this question - why not become a vet yourself?

Bez'

Bez'":1p1ukx9i said:
msscamp":1p1ukx9i said:
Just_a_girl":1p1ukx9i said:
Medic24,

msscamp:

Hey lady!

Been following your posts for a while. I figure you need to have a long look at yourself.

You got lots on the go and I am not being a smart @ss when I ask this question - why not become a vet yourself?

Bez'

Thank you. Actually, that was the plan when I got out of high school. Then (while working at the local vet clinic) I discovered that a lot of people put down animals just because they don't want to take care of them/don't want them anymore. I hauled all of them home. It got to the point that Dad would watch for my headlights and meet me as I came down the hill just to see what I had hauled home that day. The topper came when I bought a half-dead, scouring calf at the local sale barn (where I also worked), stuck him on the floorboards on the passenger side of Dad's brand spanking new pick-up truck. He met me as usual, discovered the calf, and went totally ballistic!!!! I was 19 years old, it was 30 miles home, and it didn't even occur to me to hog-tie the calf in the back of the pick-up. Fortunately, the calf did NOT poop in the cab of the pick-up. Considering he had pretty bad scours, I'm thinking my guardian angel was working overtime. With Dad's help, I nursed him back to health and named him So-Big, because he was so big you could almost see him. He had the run of the yard (cause we couldn't keep him in a pen, he always got out) and would come up on the car port and bawl for his bottle. I knew I didn't have what it takes to be a vet.

Jake":117nayy8 said:
Now I'm not going to condon the treatment of your neighbors cattle but you can't exactly blame the pups gettin hit on them... If they are old enough to run around and aren't "prize" animals most people will let their pups run around. They got on the road and got hit. Not exactly something that's uncommon or inhumane.

Maybe you can't, but I sure as hell can!!! When one acquires a dog or cat and does not get that dog or cat spayed, one is responsible for any offspring of that dog or cat. That responsibility includes properly feeding said dog or cat so the mother can properly raise the offspring, keeping any resulting puppies/kittens (due to the owners irresponsibility of not getting dog/cat spayed or neutered) safe from all hazards to the absolute very best ability of the owner, and finding suitable homes for the offspring. No, allowing puppies and kittens to run free is not uncommon, but whether or not it's inhumane depends on one's outlook. I personally think allowing puppies/kittens to be run over by vehicles due to the owners laziness, lackadaisical attitude, the attitude that 'Oh, they are only non-prize animals', etc., to be inhumane. They did not ask to be brought into this world, they arrived due to the dog/cat owners irresponsibility, cheapness, and lack of regard for 'non-prize' animal life.

I completely agree with all of you guys about cruelty to animals but I thought about this story which is sad, but just shows that animals that are thin are not always abused.

One of my dad's friends keeps cattle and the cow had a calf, now for some reason she couldn't give milk, so the calf was going hungry. This particular calf had been born in the feild so it was wild and they had no way to catch it, everytime they got close it would just run away. It would drink off of the other cows but since it couldn't get much it became a runt. Eventually they did catch it but it's growth was stunted by then so they just sold it.

They did all they could for it but sometimes things are just out of your control. All of the other calfs that were born at the same time were perfectly healthy, so he was just a poor little unfortunate.

I'm not defending people who abuse their animals, I'm just saying that if you find a skinny calf at a sale this could be a possibility, although if calfs that look the same keep coming in every time from the same seller then that is suspicious as this was a fluke.

I live on a road that is paved and about three miles long, about 9 miles out from the town. There is only 3 houses onthis road and needless to say it is a dumping ground for people that want to get rid of thier dogs or cats. We've lived here for about a year while we build our house and in that year we've had at least a dog a month dropped off. Man that literaly pis&*%$ me off. I'd like to catch those people doing that just one time. Gunfire would be more than likely if I did catch them.

Dick

icandoit":12lzmb11 said:
I live on a road that is paved and about three miles long, about 9 miles out from the town. There is only 3 houses onthis road and needless to say it is a dumping ground for people that want to get rid of thier dogs or cats. We've lived here for about a year while we build our house and in that year we've had at least a dog a month dropped off. Man that literaly pis&*%$ me off. I'd like to catch those people doing that just one time. Gunfire would be more than likely if I did catch them.

Dick

Save me a few shots, ok?

mistreat an animal, dog cat hog,calf,cow, etc etc
get a rope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is no excuse acceptable!!!!!
get a rope!!!!!!!!
i agree with hereford girl sometimes nothing we can do will prevent a bad looking animal but if it is cinsistant! GET A ROPE!!!

msscamp":3cean07f said:
Just_a_girl":3cean07f said:
Medic24,

I would have ask myself which 4 of our horses are we willing to get rid of to bring their horses here.
They really are missing out on the joy of having a trusted friend and partner in those horses.
Can't make folks care about their animals the way we care about ours, or so I have been told.

A little proper care and nutrition is all they need.

I passed by there yesterday, didn't see the horses.

Just_a_girl":2us51cl8 said:
msscamp":2us51cl8 said:
Just_a_girl":2us51cl8 said:
Medic24,

I would have ask myself which 4 of our horses are we willing to get rid of to bring their horses here.
They really are missing out on the joy of having a trusted friend and partner in those horses.
Can't make folks care about their animals the way we care about ours, or so I have been told.

A little proper care and nutrition is all they need.

I passed by there yesterday, didn't see the horses.

I can understand that situation. Hopefully they sold them to better owners.

Latest posts