Why Humans could become extinct.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurleyjd

Reaction score
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/bill-mckibben-falter-climate-change-817310/

Yeh I know there is nothing to fear. But this man has a theory that is worth reading. Most of us reading this will be extinct by the time this persons projection becomes true.

Could be, might be, possible...

...not like likely

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Matthew 24:14

They keep saying (like in this write up) that food will be short. Been hearing it for that last 30 years as a fruit grower as the price of fruit keeps dropping because there is an endless glut. Last year we dumped 2000 boxes that we just couldn't sell. One tiny dot of a mark or that apple isnt red enough and the fruit is pig feed. I reckon the world needs to be a bit hungrier, bit bloody spoilt at the moment.

I take it that B. McKibbin has never been what the rest of us have been for months at a time....mired down in mud.

Redgully said:
They keep saying (like in this write up) that food will be short. Been hearing it for that last 30 years as a fruit grower as the price of fruit keeps dropping because there is an endless glut. Last year we dumped 2000 boxes that we just couldn't sell. One tiny dot of a mark or that apple isnt red enough and the fruit is pig feed. I reckon the world needs to be a bit hungrier, bit bloody spoilt at the moment.
[/quote

You might explore making it into hard cider. That is a going thing in the USA

greybeard said:
I take it that B. McKibbin has never been what the rest of have been for months at a time....mired down in mud.
Wet weather kept me out of the hay field until the middle of June and then dry weather set in. Made one cutting and squeaked through with what I had. Any where I talk to people the subject of weather comes up and most exclaim weather is a bit different than when I was a kid. Also there is one more factor that comes into play and that is the underground aquifers that supply a lot of the fresh water are being depleted. Te Lake Fork water supply drilled two wells below us three years ago. Moving water with an 8 inch line to the water tower. All of us in the area had to lower our pumps sixty feet to pump water again. The aquifers are not replenishing as needed. Looks like there would be a way to pump fresh water back into these aquifers with the excess rain we get when we do not need it.

I don't know if we'll become extinct, but I think a mass die-off could happen..
I just look at it from a genetics standpoint.. All these great leaps and bounds in medicine are definitely not helping Darwin's cause.. Babies born months premature are surviving, allergies to EVERYTHING but just take some pills, lots of terrible eyesight in kids, etc. If/When there's a collapse of the medical system, perhaps with a crunch on food supplies (well, probably food delivery/affordability problems), it's going to be pretty grim for a while.

It is academic. The sun burns out eventually. Humans have the capacity to consider and lament their end. The Universe has no conscience!

I don't know. Lots of fear mongering. The earth is always changing. Lots of talk in the article about Greenland's upcoming demise, yet at one time people farmed on Greenland. I bet those folks weren't too happy to get froze out.
I think we need to strive to live cleanly and quit the fear mongering. We will adapt, improvise, and overcome as we always have.

Redgully said:
Pigs need to eat too.
The spoiled apple still enters the food change and then the pig gets eaten too.

Food shortages have always been more of a distribution problem than a production problem.
ie: During potato famine in Ireland, plenty of food in America they just couldn't get to it.

Son of Butch said:
Redgully said:
Pigs need to eat too.
The spoiled apple still enters the food change and then the pig gets eaten too.

Food shortages have always been more of a distribution problem than a production problem.
ie: During potato famine in Ireland, plenty of food in America they just couldn't get to it.

Not really in this case, we have the means to ship or fly fruit anywhere. Off our property we used to export about 15000 boxes of fruit and our district about 400 000 boxes. We export 0 now and our district about 10 000 boxes. All the export markets are flooded by south africa and cile and we can't compete with them price wise. We are being flooded by imports now. There is so much produce that second grade fruit from a hail mark is unsaleable. And south africa and cile have the capacity to ramp up production big time. Trust me, the world aint gunna starve anytime soon.

What ever took out the dinosaurs during the Paleozoic era which caused the largest mass extinction in the history of our planet could take out mankind just the same and it could happen any time. History has a way of repeating itself. I have about two years worth of non perishable food laid up and a very deep local cave ready for occupation if the big bang happens.

Redgully said:
Son of Butch said:
Redgully said:
They keep saying (like in this write up) that food will be short.

Not really in this case, we have the means to ship or fly fruit anywhere.
the export markets are flooded and we can't compete with them price wise.
We are being flooded by imports now.
Trust me, the world aint gunna starve anytime soon.
Distribution problem... the poor and hungry can't afford them.
Somewhere in the world there is a child going to bed hungry that would love them.

Most of the starvation in this world happens because of politics, or stupidity.
Just ask the people that starved to death in Africa because their government rejected the US food aid, because it contained "GMO's."
Oh, wait, you can't.

sim.-ang.king said:
Just ask the people that starved to death in Africa because their government rejected the US food aid, because it contained "GMO's."
Oh, wait, you can't.

Well said, and the areas kept poor for images to keep world aid coming in. Many countrys in "famine" are actually rich countrys. When aid comes in to these places the rich expect their share equal to the poor areas. They tried putting fresh water wells in some villages with only dirty water to drink and the surrounding villages killed the drillers because they didn't drill in their village first. So yes a child is going to bed somewhere who would love the fruit we have to dump but it is not me who caused that and i will not be blamed for it. But if butch wants to organise and pay for delivery i will gladly load it up for him for free.

The next big die off of humanity will be recorded by history as being caused because there were just too many people in the world, that couldn't cook without their Instant Pots..

sim.-ang.king said:
Oh, wait, you can't.

I think that all problems in the world that you listed as causing starvation are the same. Would you maybe put religion in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts