Why does Beef get all the blame?

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
There have been some interesting topics on here lately.

The large majority of environmental degradation around here has nothing to do with cattle and everything to do with Big Sugar. Sugarcane requires buttloads of herbicides, pesticides, burning fields, and torn up roads to bring a product to market. The vast majority of Africans brought to the Americas as slaveswere brought here to raise sugarcane on the Gulf and Brazil.

So how did we end up as the bad guys while sugar farmers are coddled, kissed, and fondled by the press?

I never thought about it. Do they have a strong lobby? Is sugar cane raised like chickens, under a contract?

Bigfoot":fvxr8ooi said:
I never thought about it. Do they have a strong lobby? Is sugar cane raised like chickens, under a contract?
Haha, sugar has the strongest lobby on earth my friend. Every 4 weeks or so... :hide:

greybeard":2v553fzs said:
And, is this fenced in or free range sugar cane? ;-) ;-)

I've noticed after 19 years of marriage my close observations lead me to believe they prefer a pampered nest to hoard and stash the sugar and chocolate.

The largest % of insecticides, and fungicides go to the wine industary, but yet it's corn farmers fault bees are supposedly dyeing.

Because we all know bees pollinate corn, and not grapes. :???:

sim.-ang.king":1znv66al said:
The largest % of insecticides, and fungicides go to the wine industary, but yet it's corn farmers fault bees are supposedly dyeing.

We also know that all the bees get shipped to this region to pollinate some crop and then loaded up and shipped to another region to do the same and on and on. Can you imagine the wreck if we shipped other living animals to various regions of the country where they would mingle with other critters of the same species from all over the country. Certainly the chicken, hog, or cattle industry wouldn't go for that because we know that our animals would get sick and die.

This thread is interesting. We don't get many of those nowadays, but I'm lost. Does Uncle Sam have their backs?

If you donate generously to campaigns, Uncle Sugar has your back. The sugar growing biz is concentrated enough that the players can get generous subsidies, import protection and cheap labor. Yeah, it's a racket.

Yes price support. When Monica got that nasty stain on her dress, Bill was on the phone to Alfonso Fanjul. The largest sugar cane grower in the USA and probably the world.

A lot of subsidy money is spent to keep the price of sugar low to punish Castro and Cuba! :nod:

sim.-ang.king":3obr2j5r said:

Fungicides in wine grapes get applied to the vine itself when the crop is getting close to harvest so there is no threat to bees at the pollen stage. With corn being an annual the fungicide from the seed is systemic enough to cause problems when the bees collect pollen from the corn.
Grapes are a better source of pollen for bees to begin with so there is some unfair blame on corn there as they don't do real well on corn pollen to begin with.

Latest posts