why do people register?

Help Support CattleToday:

emily_22

Reaction score
why do people register cattle? i mean it may sound like a stupid question but would u be more inclined to buy a registered animal? and what does it show if an animal is registered?

Sorry it may sound like a stupid question but i'm just trying to understand things.

EPD's, Pedigree, genetic defect reporting.

if you dont have registeration, some of the best producing animals appear to be the same as many other feeder cattle.

To expand on what Aero said, there's a lot more data supporting registered cattle. In order to have EPD's they use Birth weight, Weaning weight, Yearling weight, calving ease, and various other measurements from the cattle including carcass data. Also, the data from the animals in the pedigree are taken into account & weighted.

While the EPD's and pedigree are by no means a guarantee of a particular animals performance, it sure gives a much better picture about how they're expected to perform.

emily_22":1u5wi9ep said:
why do people register cattle? i mean it may sound like a stupid question but would u be more inclined to buy a registered animal? and what does it show if an animal is registered?

Sorry it may sound like a stupid question but i'm just trying to understand things.

You register a calf to get the services of the breed association. They include documenting and recording the calve's pedigree, preparing and updating EPDs for the calf, so the calf can go to shows, or sell in special registered sales, and so the calve's progeny all have the option of being registered. Your registration money also supports ongoing breed promotion efforts, branded beef efforts, breed internet sales boards, breed research, breed youth activities, your breed magazine, etc. There are a lot of purebred/fullblood cows out there being bred to purebred/fullblood cows and I have no doubt that some of the best Angus and Hereford cow families are "grade" animals on some of the better run commercial ranches; but only the farm manager is even aware they exist. By the pound there is no difference in value between grade cows and registered cows. Some seedstock buyers prefer or will pay more for animals with the registration certificate so some people register solely to help them market their animals.

Depends a lot on what you plan your "end product" to be. If you're selling seed stock, you'll want to register your breeding stock to prove bloodlines and show EPD's to the buyers.

Even people with registered cattle have "culls", which they don't register and probably go to a feed lot or the auction barn.

Am I wrong to say that if a person wants to get into showing their cattle, most (if not all) of the big shows require that an animal be registered?

Thanks, Scotty. I was thinking breeding stock when I posted that. I think of steers as being more of a 4-H project, although I'm undoubtedly wrong on that. :oops:

You can register Purebred Angus steers. I have not heard of any but it can be done.

Scotty

Scotty":uaph0dvo said:
You can register Purebred Angus steers. I have not heard of any but it can be done.

Scotty

Would you happen to know why anyone would do that? Breeding stock, sure, but why register steers?

msscamp":20qaz5cy said:
Would you happen to know why anyone would do that? Breeding stock, sure, but why register steers?
Beats the hell outta me. They must have more money than sense,

la4angus":n492hdmj said:
msscamp":n492hdmj said:
Beats the hell outta me. They must have more money than sense,

I was sort of wondering that same thing, but not having any experience with registering steers - wasn't sure. :lol: :lol:

TheBullLady":220qlmfv said:
Depends a lot on what you plan your "end product" to be. If you're selling seed stock, you'll want to register your breeding stock to prove bloodlines and show EPD's to the buyers.

Even people with registered cattle have "culls", which they don't register and probably go to a feed lot or the auction barn.

Well said! That about sums it up...

Also, registering one's cattle causes a paper trail of lineages, ownership, etc. Much easier to plan one's breeding program based on the animal's history and production records.

If one is just raising quality "meat", then it is irrelevant where it came from of "who its daddy is" if it sells well at sale barn or slaughter house.

Howdy,

Registration = like many have said here. geneology of the animal. The sire, grand sire, great grand sire../sire's dam, dam's sire, dam's dam etc.. ;) and so on.

If you went to the race track and saw some horse win every race for a year, do you think the offspring would be cheap? Genetic improvement is measured by the different breed associations.( I am partial to black angus :) ) http://www.angus.org/ They have some good reading from there main page too.

As raising registered black angus. I am pround of my genetic improvements I have made in both my bulls, and cows.

Latest posts