Why Diesel?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Why is diesel used to mix fly repellent such as Permethrin and pour on a cattle rub (sock)? I would think that it can't be good for a calf who licks it, or a momma licking her calf, no?

I wouldn't think that the ingestion of permethrin would be any better for them if in fact they don't turn up their noses to it and actually ingest it.

My educated guess its used because it's a thin oily substance commonly found on the farm. The oil helps the Permethrin stay on their coat. I think it's diluted enough I doesnt harm them. I have got it in my mouth a few times. It tasted horrible, but I'm still alive.

OK, I have to come clean............. I asked this question after hanging a sock for the first time between 2 posts (high enough that they can go under it) and the first thing one of my calves did was go over and lick it. :frowns: I scolded her and she stopped, but then it made me think about the question I posted.

I am mainly doing the sock as an experiment as I spray my cows once a week or so (Permectrin and water mix) and it seems to have ZERO effect on the fly problem around their bodies. Hopefully, the diesel will make a difference.

High Cotton":3q331ne7 said:
I think without an oil mixed in it has very short residual protection.

Guess I will find out in a couple of days, when I lower it so it rubs.

How often do you have to "recharge" the sock? Does rain effect it?

Thanks

Latest posts