Who's the sire?

Help Support CattleToday:

*************":3pjc1255 said:
With Angus Assoc dna tests, a simple blood sample from the tail on a test strip and you would know pretty fast the parentage, given the dam and sire are both tested. Not sure if you can do this with your breed, but I'm sure Zoetis probably has a test out there for you. Is the AI sire you used DNA tested?

Yes both of the bulls were DNA tested, and so Igenity was able to match this calf to the sire that they had on file. In order to be used as an AI sire, the Murray Grey Association requires that the bull have a DNA profile on file with the association. I am not sure that it is required for all associations, but it is pretty convenient to get an AI sire's DNA profile sent to the association. That way, other breeders will not have to sacrifice their straws for testing, and if there is a question regarding parentage, the association has a hard copy of the DNA profile.

TwoByrdsMG":3n9s8qdv said:
waihou":3n9s8qdv said:
If I hadn't scrolled down to the bottom for the DNA result I would have said he was the son of Trigger! An interesting looking type, not your typical MG, but leggy and quite smooth.

We had the same last year with a calf born on 15th August, when his due date to AI was 6th August, but he could have been 8 days early to a natural mating.
We DNA'd through tail hairs as he was 42 kgs born(@92lbs) and the AI sire was supposedly a low b.w. bull, but being so late we decided it was unlikely at that weight that he was early, glad we did!
He is the son of Mount Major Kingswood (Au), and the only bull calf from that AI programme so will be using him this year over heifers.

Waihou- would love to see pictures of your Kingswood calf

TwoByrdsMG- Waihou has a facebook page where she posts photos of her Murray Grey herd pretty frequently. To my knowledge, she has at least two Kingswood heifers and a Kingswood bull that are yearlings now.
https://www.facebook.com/Yorkvale-Murray-Greys-357511604361453/

Yes, TwoByrds, and BB ranch MG's that is correct- usually up to date photos on my FB page!
Just had all our 18 months olds scanned for fats, EMA and marbling and also pregnancy tested. Pleased to say our Kingswood bull got 11 of his 12 in calf and the Kingswood girls scanned well, especially pleasing for marbling .
I'll have to learn how to post photos on here again!

Latest posts