whole house generators

Help Support CattleToday:

I also have an 18KW Generac. It's plumbed into the natural gas lines in the house. It's probably 10 years old. Only problem is the voltage regulator went bad one time and it was putting 140 volts in the house. Burnt the computer board on the oven out. The new voltage regulator I put in isn't supposed to let it spike like that if it goes bad (at least that's what I gathered when I talked to customer support)

Other than that, been a good unit. Power was out for 4 days 2 years ago. Neighbors without generators brought their chest freezers over and plugged them into the garage. Worked fine and saved their food.

My parents have a newer model (maybe 3 years old) and it is considerably quieter than mine. Mine has the metal housing, theirs is the newer plastic one.

dieselbeef":1jtby9xu said:
that's the kind of input Im looking for...no probs with the generac..they were kinda shady when they first came out but I think they've beat that rap...the 20k with the 200 a but not the load switcher thing. I can get installed for less than 4500 I think
My guy said I could run my house 24/7 for two weeks full power, which I never would. Mine kicks on every Monday at 9 am to charge the battery. Everything soup to nuts was $6K, with a 7 year warranty.

It kicks on automagically after power is out about 2 or 4 minutes.

dun":13fo4iei said:
Are Generacs still horribly loud/noisey? I had one years ago and even in the house with the doors and windows closed you could here it intrusively from 50 feet away. I've stayed clear of them ever since.
Mine is very quite. I can hear it when I am in the house, but just barely.

I am told Generac has about 80% of the market.

My father is an electrician, but also a Generac serviceman and certified seller and installer. So this may be a bit biased. Generac's are the best on the market. They are reliable, dependable, and pretty easy keeping. We have been selling tons and tons of them after the big snowstorm that we had in March that knocked out power. The Generac's are getting quieter each year. We joke saying pretty soon you won't be able to hear them at all. In my opinion the best part is that they are made here in the United States (Wisconsin). Always nice when anything comes from your own country.

Latest posts