Who Was This Man?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Do you remember the preacher that used to come on Satellite TV years ago around the late 80's or early 90's, that had white hair and a beard; and he wore his glasses way down on the end of his nose. He would sell his German Shepherd puppies on the show, and he would ask for people to send him money. When the phones weren't ringing enough, they would get a really close view of his face, and he would look at the camera over his glasses, and circle his finger around and have them run a tape of him riding a walking horse. Then they would come back to him and he would be reading something for while and he wouldn't say a word., and he would look up, and then motion his finger again to play the tape of his walking horse again. When the tape came to the end, He said he would continue to play the tape until he collected the money he needed.
What was this brilliant man's name?

I LOVED that guy. So weird, so freaky. He mumbled and as a kid I never knew what his actual shtick was. He was always on late, when all the other channels were fuzz. I would watch him, mesmerized...

I LOVED that guy. So weird, so freaky. He mumbled and as a kid I never knew what his actual shtick was. He was always on late, when all the other channels were fuzz. I would watch him, mesmerized...
Assuming it's the same guy, he was on network TV in the 70s--maybe the satellite ones were taped years earlier? He was already pretty up there in age by the late 70s...

I watched him because he was so weird too. I watched him because I laughed at him and couldn't believe some of the things he did. They had the camera so close to his face you could see the light freckles on his skin. So strange. Maybe it was in the early 80's I am thinking about. So he could have had a show from the late 70's to early 80's. It was hard to tell exactly how old he was because his hair had turned gray long before it should have. I wonder where he was from?

Found him! http://www.nndb.com/people/483/000026405/

Gene Scott

His wife Melissa maintains a website (there's a link to it from the above article)--looks like you can play old clips!
there's also a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Scott

(and lots of others)
Looks like we're not the only ones who found him oddly interesting. I'd forgotten that he chain-smoked thru his shows. Even though I was a kid, and it was the 70s, I realized that was a weird thing for a preacher to do on TV!

He was usually smoking a cigar too - back in the early 80's anyway.

Had completely forgotten about him.

boondocks, we must have been close to finding him at the same time, as your post had not shown up on my computer. Ha-ha!! I don't really remember his talking about anything much.

We only had one channel, and that guy wasn't on it. I am reasonably certain he spent time in Ky, and was connected to the horse industry. Big money player I thought.

I had no idea of the things that he had going on in his life until I read the articles about him. It said that he did not have a degree in Theology, but in Philosophy.
He didn't look that old to me as it said he was born in 1929. Of course at that time, I would not have considered him old.

backhoeboogie":2ene39sz said:
He was usually smoking a cigar too - back in the early 80's anyway.

Had completely forgotten about him.

Same here.. but we had a radio station that would do take off on him. funny stuff

Probably been 15 years since I last saw him but use to enjoy watching it. He'd be preaching, scribbling on that clear board behind him, wearing a roman collar and the next day riding around the neighborhood on a bicycle with a bunch of playboy bunnies. :lol2: :lol2: True...... When he put out a call for money he's set the amount and tell you that if they didn't meet their goal he was just going to keep the money for himself. Seems he had expensive horses too.....what is it with TV preachers in horses?? Tax write off??https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=34631

Latest posts