Who to breed to.....

Help Support CattleToday:

CentralFLAngus said:
Hogtiming said:
I am going to use baldridge Thor on my heifers. He's unproven but he is a tank and has a great pedigree and calving ease . Proven from select sires Thunderbird makes good females.

My 2 cents. If your stacking calving ease on calving ease I would pick a calving ease Bull that also some power behind him. The alternative is bad imo

Thank you for that different point of view. Is certainly interesting to hear different people and their thoughts.

Your reasoning above is part of the reason Acclaim was in the mix. Proven CED and growth. Worst case scenario is I end up with something terminal I guess.
In your Select Sires book I think all of the Baldridge bulls come out the same dam, a few of the sires are different. If you are seeking replacements and to build your herd, look at the dam of the sire and the dam of the bull being used real hard. Also chase the phenotype you desire. What I or anyone else wants out of cows may not be what you think is ideal. I look at GAR and Deer Valley cattle with disdain, not my cup of tea, but I'm positive some people think I'm an idiot.

[/quote]
In your Select Sires book I think all of the Baldridge bulls come out the same dam, a few of the sires are different. If you are seeking replacements and to build your herd, look at the dam of the sire and the dam of the bull being used real hard. Also chase the phenotype you desire. What I or anyone else wants out of cows may not be what you think is ideal. I look at GAR and Deer Valley cattle with disdain, not my cup of tea, but I'm positive some people think I'm an idiot.
[/quote]

Sounds like we feel about the same way towards sav and deer valley. If you don't mind me asking, what breeders/bulls are you getting good females from?
Personally I use a lot of connealy. 7229, right answer, century, Irish, and a few others. Also have quite a few SS Chisum 6175 daughters in production, but as they age I'm getting disappointed by the udder quality.

CreekAngus said:
LCBulls said:
CreekAngus said:
If your goal is better genetics and calving ease, while staying with Select Sires, my top 3 would be Flat Top, Bronc and Chisum. Before you use Acclaim look around and see if you can find any progeny, a lot of folks I've talked with usually use terms like 'terminal" when talking about his progeny. Flat Top and Bronc have two of the best dams in the business and I just plain like Chisum, I'm using him on my heifers.

I'd add Tex Playbook to that list. His calves came easy and had excellent shape and structure.
Never seen any of his progeny, but seems to be gaining some traction out there. I think Coneally has a few sons in their sale will be interested to see how they look and what kind of price.

Yeah, they do. He was used quite heavily and his progeny were really popular during the fall sale season. His growth has come down some but his calves were really nice here. They are really deep bodied with a smooth shoulder and excellent feet and legs. We believe that he is a great heifer bull that will produce soggy, broody females

[/quote]

Sounds like we feel about the same way towards sav and deer valley. If you don't mind me asking, what breeders/bulls are you getting good females from?
Personally I use a lot of connealy. 7229, right answer, century, Irish, and a few others. Also have quite a few SS Chisum 6175 daughters in production, but as they age I'm getting disappointed by the udder quality.
[/quote]

I'm breeding heifers to S Chisum and the rest to War Party. Unfortunately or fortunately my entire herd has In Focus in it. Conneally In Focus, OCC In Focus and Ten Ex sons. All of my cows carry quite a bit of capacity to them, all pushing 7 frame, easy fleshing, almost as wide as they stand. My cows all came out of Crouthamel, Rathbun and Hallway genetics. Having so much In Focus influence, everything is on the table. So short answer made long, I'm going to run Chisum on heifers for the next two years and War Party on anything that's had a calf.

LCBulls said:
CreekAngus said:
LCBulls said:
I'd add Tex Playbook to that list. His calves came easy and had excellent shape and structure.
Never seen any of his progeny, but seems to be gaining some traction out there. I think Coneally has a few sons in their sale will be interested to see how they look and what kind of price.

Yeah, they do. He was used quite heavily and his progeny were really popular during the fall sale season. His growth has come down some but his calves were really nice here. They are really deep bodied with a smooth shoulder and excellent feet and legs. We believe that he is a great heifer bull that will produce soggy, broody females

How old are your oldest playbook calves?

T & B farms said:
LCBulls said:
CreekAngus said:

How old are your oldest playbook calves?

They are Yearlings right now

Hogtiming said:
I am going to use baldridge Thor on my heifers. He's unproven but he is a tank and has a great pedigree and calving ease . Proven from select sires Thunderbird makes good females.

My 2 cents. If your stacking calving ease on calving ease I would pick a calving ease Bull that also some power behind him. The alternative is bad imo

That's interesting, we got on the list for Thor before he sold. I'm not quite as confident about using him on Heifers. Any word on when he's available or if he's producing yet?

Not to change anybody's opinions, but when i saw Thor on DV, I didn't think he got out and moved quite as well as I thought he should. Could be genetics, could be feed, I'm not sure. I talked to my buddy out in SD that was at the sale, and he told me they won't use him in their operation. I can't remember what he didn't like. For being a 6 on CED, i wouldn't use him as a heifer bull. He does have great growth projections and being out of a daughter of Y69, I'd be interested in using him. I don't think he'll see as much interest as colonel as I'm concerned. He's got carcass epds and $B in more of a moderate frame. Usually I don't consider anything under 10 on CED unless they are a negative BW on heifers. Especially if you look at No Doubt being a 4 on CED and almost a 4 on BW. I'll wait until he's more accurate to justify using him on heifers.

Welter Bros Angus said:
Not to change anybody's opinions, but when i saw Thor on DV, I didn't think he got out and moved quite as well as I thought he should. Could be genetics, could be feed, I'm not sure. I talked to my buddy out in SD that was at the sale, and he told me they won't use him in their operation. I can't remember what he didn't like. For being a 6 on CED, i wouldn't use him as a heifer bull. He does have great growth projections and being out of a daughter of Y69, I'd be interested in using him. I don't think he'll see as much interest as colonel as I'm concerned. He's got carcass epds and $B in more of a moderate frame. Usually I don't consider anything under 10 on CED unless they are a negative BW on heifers. Especially if you look at No Doubt being a 4 on CED and almost a 4 on BW. I'll wait until he's more accurate to justify using him on heifers.

I've got several Colonel daughters and I think they are some of the best I have, hands down. Colonel is THE bull if you are going with Baldridge.

I am not trying to change the subject but everyone is throwing around a lot of young unproven bulls. Use a bull with daughters in production and surprises are far fewer.

LCBulls said:
Hogtiming said:

That's interesting, we got on the list for Thor before he sold. I'm not quite as confident about using him on Heifers. Any word on when he's available or if he's producing yet?

I was told last of March for mine. But who knows. I sure liked the looks of the Bull when I seen him in December. Those baldridge sired steer calves sure feed well and do good on the rail.

I think that he will be a nice bull to inject body mass and growth into his progeny. I really like the bull. I think we are going to wait on him just because we got Power Play semen and are going to use others that are proven. If he turns out to be Calving Ease then he will be pretty special.

W.B. said:
I am not trying to change the subject but everyone is throwing around a lot of young unproven bulls. Use a bull with daughters in production and surprises are far fewer.

W.B. that is what we ended up with. Right or wrong, we will have to deal with it now. For a long time I was looking at young bulls looking to possibly create something cool, but in the end, I think we are just better off with the proven genetics at this point.

Thanks for everyones opinions.

CreekAngus said:

[/quote]

I'm breeding heifers to S Chisum and the rest to War Party. Unfortunately or fortunately my entire herd has In Focus in it. Conneally In Focus, OCC In Focus and Ten Ex sons. All of my cows carry quite a bit of capacity to them, all pushing 7 frame, easy fleshing, almost as wide as they stand. My cows all came out of Crouthamel, Rathbun and Hallway genetics. Having so much In Focus influence, everything is on the table. So short answer made long, I'm going to run Chisum on heifers for the next two years and War Party on anything that's had a calf.
[/quote]

War Party was a great and underutilized bull

Lazy M said:
CreekAngus said:

[/quote]

War Party was a great and underutilized bull
[/quote]

I haven't personally used him, but from what I have seen and heard, they are long bodied calves like their daddy. It is never too late to start a trend as long as their is semen available.

I sure don't think I would breed heifers to Chisum 6175. His cows have done me very weIl, just a little disappointed in the teat size on them. I won't use war party just because of his 40 Milk EPD. That is the only reason, I think he is a good looking bull.

T & B farms said:
I sure don't think I would breed heifers to Chisum 6175. His cows have done me very weIl, just a little disappointed in the teat size on them. I won't use war party just because of his 40 Milk EPD. That is the only reason, I think he is a good looking bull.
I think he might be referring to 6175s son
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.billpelton.com/media/JC-Heiken-Salebook-2018-1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwic9ubrmoPhAhVKtosKHTPqDx4QFjADegQIAhAB&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw0FmWuj9QUibBn1c48JihuK

T & B farms said:

Breeding heifers to Chisum 255, much different CED. I'm not a believer in the milk EPD. It's not like the AAA has us run them through a milk parlor. The only epds that ever help me make a decision are CED, BW and YH.

T & B farms said:

Perhaps you'd like this son then..I do.
http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=994

Lazy M said:
T & B farms said:

Perhaps you'd like this son then..I do.
http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=994

He is darn nice to my eye.
Do you have any war party's in production? I'm curious on udder attachment and teat size