• SWAROVSKI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TASCO

• TRIJICON

• Total voters
KNERSIE":2ye9axcg said:
If the poll was about the worse one of the lot I think Tasco will win hands down.

Or simmons. Those to run neck and neck on the junkometer. I've seen excellent scopes from both companys. Problem is that the next one out of the same crate may be crap.

Man I am kind of a tightwad i guess and I bought a $30 WAL MART Tasco scope and put it on my 30-30. I thought it was a great scope. I have a friend that has a Simmons and it is on a 6MM and I thought it was the best Scope I ever looked through, I just have not been that impressed w/ scopes in stores even the big $ ones you know? I would like one with no black. That Simmons was like that NO black.

I have always wanted a zeiss scope,I have a pair of binoculars that are first class made by zeiss,got a good deal on them used..................good luck

allenfarms":o1pn71ju said:
Man I am kind of a tightwad i guess and I bought a $30 WAL MART Tasco scope and put it on my 30-30. I thought it was a great scope. I have a friend that has a Simmons and it is on a 6MM and I thought it was the best Scope I ever looked through, I just have not been that impressed w/ scopes in stores even the big $ ones you know? I would like one with no black. That Simmons was like that NO black.

A lot of the black issue has to do with eye relief and eye positioning.
I have an old Tasco Varmint scope that was on a rifle I got from a friends widow. I was going to change it to a "good" scope. After I shot numerous 1/4 inch 5 shot groups with it I decided it was probably good enough.

What happened to Weaver? I haven't seen a Weaver scope in years. Did someone buy them out or did they go out of business?

They went out of business then were bought by Omark and made some really great scopes. Haven;t heard about them in a while though. Most all of the companys Omak bought out were bought by someone else and they added a bucnh. Simmons, RCBS to new a few.

dun":1bf3z5r8 said:
They went out of business then were bought by Omark and made some really great scopes. Haven;t heard about them in a while though. Most all of the companys Omak bought out were bought by someone else and they added a bucnh. Simmons, RCBS to new a few.

Dun, The link provided will give an idea of ownership of Weaver, Simmons, etc.

These companies used to be owned by Blount International from here in Montgomery, but sold to ATK a few years back.

http://premiumpartners.atk.com/default. ... ion=mounts

MikeC":3ppwsx4g said:

From the link it looks like Weaver and Simmons only make mounts and not scopes, is that right? Or are the scope divisions owned by somebody else? Just curious. Since I sold the shop in '98 I've been out of touch with what's going on.

dun":2y3ykc2e said:
MikeC":2y3ykc2e said:

From the link it looks like Weaver and Simmons only make mounts and not scopes, is that right? Or are the scope divisions owned by somebody else? Just curious. Since I sold the shop in '98 I've been out of touch with what's going on.

Scopes are made by the meade optics company.

MikeC":1vsculln said:
dun":1vsculln said:
MikeC":1vsculln said:

Scopes are made by the meade optics company.

But are they still marketed as Weaver and Simmons? The website only addressed mounting systems. I thought that was strange since the old Simmons mounts were the same as the Old Weaver mounts but cheaper made and the screw holes didn;t line up very well

I like leupold quite a bit. I have a lot of their scopes. My leupolds range from 225-1000. I guess the best bang for the buck in my opinion is Nikon for a little over 200. I think it is the buckmaster or monarch? The one my buddy has is very crisp and clear. I am partial to leupold though. For binoculars I love my steiner auto focus.

For me it is leupold. I have a few Leupold scopes on my rifles and cannot find any fault with them. I even use one on my 12 gauge slug gun and it has kept it's zero after several hundred 3" magnum slugs. I also have several Nikon's on my 7mm-08 calibers and down. They work great also. I have one Simmons that I like and I put it on a .22 for small game and plinking. I like the old Redfield Trackers from the late 1980's early 90's. I still have two left that are on "truck" guns. My binos are Stiener and they are pretty impressive for the price. I try not to save nickles by skimping on optics. My own rule of thumb is that whatever I pay for the rifle I spend a minimum of half of that on a scope. Five hundred dollar rifle gets a minimum of a 250 dollar scope. This will usually put you into quality glass. I see guys around here who have a 1,200 dollar rifle and will pop a 60.00 tasco or simmons scope on it..........I get a chuckle out of this. They would have been better off spending 600 on a good Rem. 700 BDL and putting a Leupold Vari-X III on it for the same price. Most rifles out of the box can shoot better than the guy pulling the trigger can make it shoot anyway.

Latest posts