Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SWAROVSKI

• TASCO

• TRIJICON

• Total voters
Keeping things affordable, I've had the best succes with rifle scopes from Leupold and Nikon, for pistol scopes, I have probably in the neighborhood of 2 dozen, Burris hands down. Nope of these are the most expensive scopes that the companys make.

Leupold hands down.

If it breaks they will fix it too. No questions asked.

dun":1vmcwrzy said:
MikeC":1vmcwrzy said:
Leupold hands down.

If it breaks they will fix it too. No questions asked.

So will Burris and Nikon.

I have one Burris scope only but have not used it much. In fact, I think it's in a drawer now. It's not even close to the quality of my Leupold's though.

I don't doubt that Burris is a good company for service. Don worked for Redfield long enough to know that.

Leupold and Burris are about all I still use anymore with the exception of one high-end Simmons. Nothing compares to the optics of Leupold but Burris has them beat in handgun scopes and I think they've been in that field longer. Both have excellent service. Leupold binoc's are hard to beat too, like German optics without the price. I've got a pair of 10x40 goldrings with the individual focus (I think they quit making those a few years ago, a pity) that stay in my truck 24/7/365.
Those binoc's are the only leupold item I've sent back for repair and they were fixed and returned with new rubber eycups and cleaned no charge. I sent a Burris 2-7x handgun scope in a couple years ago after it's guts came loose inside during sight in. I had just bought it and mounted it so I was a bit peeved but they fixed it and sent it back in a timely manner.

I was told by a man in the gun shop business that Leupold and Burris are basically the same scope. He said that the guy that owns burris left the leupold company and started his own using alot of the same principles that leupold used. They may look different but they are basically the same. I guess that is true, I really don't know. That is what I heard.

Not one of your choices, but I just love my Schmidt & Bender 2.5x10x56 scope on my Browning A-Bolt 270.

I've used the gun/scope to take a mule deer at 335 yards and oldest son used the same gun/scope to take a whitetail deer at around 385 yards on a powerline. I was surprised at him making the shot. He said the deer dropped like a rock.

sewall":1vg16h3n said:
I was told by a man in the gun shop business that Leupold and Burris are basically the same scope. He said that the guy that owns burris left the leupold company and started his own using alot of the same principles that leupold used. They may look different but they are basically the same. I guess that is true, I really don't know. That is what I heard.

Not true. Your man has his info mixed up.

Don Burris worked for "Redfield" for years as chief engineer. When Redfield sold out he took his share and started up his own company. Thus the Burris company.

Don was solely responsible for the internally adjustable target scopes and the "Widefield" concept, among others while at Redfield.

My uncle has an old Redfield and it is foggy to look through now but it is a widefield scope which he loves, but I don't think he knows that Burris is somewhat now Redfield.

allenfarms":2qvw7bmt said:
My uncle has an old Redfield and it is foggy to look through now but it is a widefield scope which he loves, but I don't think he knows that Burris is somewhat now Redfield.

Redfield has no affiliation with Burris now.

Tell him to send it back to Redfield and get it fixed. It's probably just a leak in a seal.

I have a friend who has Swaroski (sp) optics. They are amazing. But unlike my friend money does become a limiting factor to me. All of my hunting rifles and my binoc's are Leupold and have been for years.

Dave":502s23ih said:
I have a friend who has Swaroski (sp) optics. They are amazing. But unlike my friend money does become a limiting factor to me. All of my hunting rifles and my binoc's are Leupold and have been for years.

That's why a started my first post with "Keeping things affordable"

Have learned one thing about scopes...........

If you ever go to a good scope with a 30mm tube, you'll never go back to a 1 inch.

It's literally like "Daylight" and "Dark".

I shot a coyote one night with no lights except the moon.

Something that a lot of folks lose sight of is that the optics in todays scopes are a lot better then even 10 years ago. If you really like that old scope, get the current version of the same thing and you won;t believe the difference.

Well Leupold isn't so affordable I don't think. I wanna good scope for this gun, but man I am not dumping no 4-5 hundred bucks in one. Just can't afford it.

allenfarms":26h1p87s said:
Well Leupold isn't so affordable I don't think. I wanna good scope for this gun, but man I am not dumping no 4-5 hundred bucks in one. Just can't afford it.

But that 4-500 buck scope will provide a lot of years of good service over some of the shall we say, "less expensive" scopes. The lower priced Leupold, Burris, Nixon will perform a whole lot better then the top of the line scopes from some of the other compnays listed.
But I don;t use recracked oil in my vehicles either.

allenfarms":6sj9ynqm said:

You can get a really good Leupold at Academy for $200. You can see before and past the legal times to hunt with those. I have 5 of them and 3 of the $500 type on some guns that I don't even shoot that often.

Latest posts