Who feeds fresh lawn clipping during the summer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ycc

Reaction score
I'd like to see how many cattle feeders have access to fresh lawn clipping from commercial mowing companies during the summer months?
How do you feed them, in a ration or by themselves., how much waste is there?
:?:

I'd be a little concerned about how much other stuff is in the lawn clippings, and if they've fermented or gotten hot. Anything from pesticides to candywrappers to beer cans could be in there.

Because of the texture I think they should probably be fed with some coarse hay or something.. but someone else probably will know that better than me

I would be afraid that "commercial" mowing would contain fertilizers or pesticides that would not be desirable in feed. Also certain leaves or plants that might get in there are very poisonous. It only takes 5 Oleander leaves to kill a cow. Less for a calf.
We feed only our own clippings that we know do not contain anything. My cattle come running when the lawn mower starts up.

I have fed my personal grass clipping for years, never a problem. I wouldn't feed commercial clipping because of the risk that comes with chemicals and fertilizer applied to lawns.

22.jpg
Here's a great map of Oleander distribution in the US. Nasty stuff.

I personally wouldn't feed fresh clippings unless I knew the application history. IF the same lawn clippings were ensiled, I have fed them, several hundred tons in fact. :cboy:

I'm a commercial pesticide applicator and owner of my 31 year old lawn care company, among another businesses as well, here are some Fun Facts....

* Lawn pesticide residue salts are rinsed from the leaves due to heavy irrigation practices of homeowners.

* Pesticides that absorb into the leaves are metabolized by the plant degrading the active ingredient. ( personally conducted pesticide metabolism research at Colorado State University back in 1994-95)

* The ensiling process does not discriminate between biomass varieties, chopped corn, alfalfa or lawn clippings. This summer major University will be conducting pesticide research trial on a Major golf course to see if they can detect any markers, let alone any active ingredients (of the pesticides applied during the season) in ensiled lawn clippings. A different University will feed the golf course lawn clipping silage to cattle to track their weight gain in a head to head study verses Corn silage.

* People that pay to have their yards fertilized and mow, water a lot but nitrates still need to be considered.

Let the slow key board challenged friend go first :lol:

I'm new, am I doing Okay ???

Thanks

Time's up to the slow typers :p

I guess if you're doing the mowing you are going to be on the lookout for the nasty stuff, both in the form of hardware, oleander leaves, etc, but employees aren't very likely.

In the end, it's risk management.. they're your cows, and only you can really determine how risky it is, and how much value you get from them.

Is it just me, or did they *really* shrink Alaska's size in that map? :p

Alan":2aky8jty said:
Okay out of us three I cleary type the slowest.
I doubt that. I type with just one finger on my IPad. :lol:

I am with Nesi. "Your risk." I wouldn't trust someone else's judgement with what goes in that kind of silage. Grass also molds really fast.
You hear of cattle or horses getting poisoned by the well meaning neighbor throwing over their grass clippings to them occasionally around here.

I watched your video on YouTube. Two actually. The contraption in the bed of a truck, I am assuming that is the biopacr? Where do the clippings go from there?

I have fed my own clippings. My son has brought over his clippings and the neighbor has tossed his over the fence. I have thought about using them from the commercial lawn care people but two things have kept me from it. The biggest one is logistics of getting the clippings to my place. The other is potential for leaves from shrubs that are poisonous to the cattle. Well that and I have enough other irons in the fire to take the time to mess with it.

We gave them some of our own clippings last year, and they weren't too crazy about them. If the cows happen to get out in the lawn, they act like it's the most delicious thing ever, but they weren't crazy about the clippings. I also gave them some green corn shucks last year; they weren't too crazy about those either. Maybe I have some picky eaters.

Mine won't eat clippings. I have often wondered how many tons of forage my 3.5 acre yard makes in a year. Shame to just mow it away.

greybeard":16x2z8gf said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just turn the cattle in on the lawn and forget the mowing and collecting step altogether?

Not a bad idea; I've actually know people to do this; however, I don't care for the mess. My cows can get out on the lawn for 10 minutes and it's bad enough.

greybeard":h3uvq24b said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just turn the cattle in on the lawn and forget the mowing and collecting step altogether?
I don't worry about the clippings. Just let them fall where they will and help build up the soil.

skyhightree1":1llq8klg said:
greybeard":1llq8klg said:

I like the way you think.

My grandparents mowed that way. Called the cows in once a week. Stayed pretty slick.

Bigfoot":v73adcv7 said:
skyhightree1":v73adcv7 said:
greybeard":v73adcv7 said:

I like the way you think.

My grandparents mowed that way. Called the cows in once a week. Stayed pretty slick.

I like to leave it 3 - 4 weeks, let the dandelions and daisies bloom and give the cows something to wrap their tongues round when they graze it.
Not owning the farm/house/section is the issue here - just about every land owner I've worked with would ban cattle from my lawn if they could, some of them have.

Latest posts