Who do you trust? Man who owns 1000 head or vet?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama":zf584zjw said:
One problem with vets are that a lot of people call them to treat a cow thats not penned. They don't have any facilities to handle them either.You can't blame a vet for being a little on the onery side if he's called out to dehorn a cow in the middle of a pasture. If a vet shows up to a cow ready to be put in a chute and a warm cup of coffee, he will be a little more inclined to help.

Yep. :) I know someone who goes by the motto..."I'd rather the vet be waiting, than for me to be waiting on him." :shock: I look at it the other way around (esp when I believe his rates just went up to $150/hr!). If my animals are always ready to be worked on when he arrives, I figure I'm much more likely to be able to get him out when I need him to come. Right now I'm rather snowed in and so he has to come to my place - I can't take them to the clinic. I have two cows to be preg checked tomorrow, and they will both be haltered and tied before he arrives. :p :lol:

milkmaid":1ukvca06 said:
Bama":1ukvca06 said:
One problem with vets are that a lot of people call them to treat a cow thats not penned. They don't have any facilities to handle them either.You can't blame a vet for being a little on the onery side if he's called out to dehorn a cow in the middle of a pasture. If a vet shows up to a cow ready to be put in a chute and a warm cup of coffee, he will be a little more inclined to help.

Yep. :) I know someone who goes by the motto..."I'd rather the vet be waiting, than for me to be waiting on him." :shock: I look at it the other way around (esp when I believe his rates just went up to $150/hr!). If my animals are always ready to be worked on when he arrives, I figure I'm much more likely to be able to get him out when I need him to come. Right now I'm rather snowed in and so he has to come to my place - I can't take them to the clinic. I have two cows to be preg checked tomorrow, and they will both be haltered and tied before he arrives. :p :lol:

Not to mention the fact that by the time the vet shows up, we've usually had her penned for about 15 minutes trying to evaluate the situation while we wait.

The vet in our area is rather good with cattle and horses. However, he has been, in the past, a little quick to say "Sell it." When my spouse and I started our business on our own (away from my family) we started by buying diers from the auction. We had little money but I had the time. It worked very well for us for the most part. I did all my own vet work, if we needed vet assistance it was given to me via phone. If he prescribed a medication, he left it in a box at the clinic for me to pick up.
We started loosing calves all to the same symptoms. He was unwilling to take the time to do the research and necropsy's to find out what was going on. His answer was sell em'. That wouldn't have done us any good. They were to sick all of a sudden.
Doing research via an online vet, I was able to figure out that we had a sillenium dificiancy, only in the pasture where the calves were being kept. There were no cattleman in the area who could help either. Most of them around here just take a loss when one gets sick and goes on with his day.

Then having turned to a cattleman, who supposidly had about 40 years of cattle ranching in his blood, we had a pretty good relationship. When he needed help we went and helped, but it seemed that when we asked for help he was no where to be found or he hadn't a clue of an answer. We had asked him to come help us castrate our calves. Each year, for one reason or another (his reasons not ours), he has not made it out to help us castrate with a knife. (his way) If he was to help us we pretty much had to run our opperation his way. So we didn't band.
Long story short, we had lost money by selling bull calves the last few years and this year we had had enough.
Now the calves were 5 months old and still bulls. So I got fed up and banded the calves. It was the only way I saw to get it done with no help. I wasn't about to try and stringem' up and castrate them by myself.
Now since we met we had not banded due to the fact that he thought that it was the cruelest thing that you can do. He is 100% against banding!!!
He says that it is like kicking a puppy. He says that the calves suffer so terribly! None of our calves have suffered or had any problems.
When he finally found out that we had banded he flew off the handle. He said that he can never speek to us again because we were so cruel.
One thing we noticed after it was all said and done was that we were always saving his cattle and teaching him all the things that we had learned. ( started thinking that maybe there was a reason he always sold bull calves :oops: )

So there are two situations that have made us think both ways. When it is something that we need help on we call the vet (only the cow vet) If we don't get the answers we need we turn to other ranchers and the internet. However, we have also figured out that you have to do what feels right. That is the number one thing. The vets (atleast in our are) are looking at the text book way of things. Most ranchers look at what has worked in the past. Plus trial and error. However, just because they have the years and the cattle doesn't mean that they have the experiance (so we learned).

Hope this wasn't to much rambling. Maybe it will help.

Double R

I talked to my local laywer(???)
According to him I was in trouble-- if not just nuisance wise.

He said the fact that I didn't charge was the only thing that might keep it from getting real bad.

The vet was new to the area and hungry--- he wanted it all
Thats real scarey to me. And myneighbors who do charge for common services.

I've worked with hungry vets. While they are hungry your hamburger joint is great, but when they not so hungry they pass me by and go to the Outback.

Bez!":ewv3v3jm said:
You want to go and run your arm up another man's cows - go to it - you break no laws.

i remember when taking the a.i./palpation course that we were told that only a licensed vet can legally charge for palpating (in TX, i don't know about other states). i know this isn't enforced, but does anyone know if it's still in effect?

Howdyjabo":yf7qovtv said:
I talked to my local laywer(???)
According to him I was in trouble-- if not just nuisance wise.

He said the fact that I didn't charge was the only thing that might keep it from getting real bad.

The vet was new to the area and hungry--- he wanted it all
Thats real scarey to me. And myneighbors who do charge for common services.

I wouldn't worry about it. The vet will figure out how much it will cost him in the long run if he pursues this. It wouldn't be good for business.

Not to mention the fact that the burden of proof lays on the prosecution.

lakading":goaqoblm said:

Partiularly in an agricultural/rural area, but propbably not so in the big city. I know it's the law, but peoples upbringing (if they had any) and cultutal differences alwasy enter into the picture.

dun

dun":2s5kmruh said:
lakading":2s5kmruh said:

Partiularly in an agricultural/rural area, but propbably not so in the big city. I know it's the law, but peoples upbringing (if they had any) and cultutal differences alwasy enter into the picture.

dun

There is also legal precedent. Hired ranch hands have been helping animals since before we had vets. There is a difference between practicing without a license and performing routine procedures.

If I come upon a car wreck, I am going to apply pressure to stop bleeding, but I am no doc and money wouldn't even cross my mind. I'd be hoping for the paramedics to get there soon. In the mean time, I'd do the best I could. I don't consider that practicing without a license and I don't think the courts would either.

backhoeboogie":36opkcec said:
If I come upon a car wreck, I am going to apply pressure to stop bleeding, but I am no doc and money wouldn't even cross my mind. I'd be hoping for the paramedics to get there soon. In the mean time, I'd do the best I could. I don't consider that practicing without a license and I don't think the courts would either.

A number of years ago there were lawsuits all over the place about people helping someone that had been injured and then were sued for causing more injury. Most states passed a "odd samaritan" law to prevent the lawsuits because it got to the point that nobody was willing to help anyone in distress.
Don;t know if it did any good. Most of the people that would stop and help sure aren;t going to think about being sued before they pitch in, it's just in the nature of some (most) people to help when they can.

dun

Back to the subject. A cattleman with a 1000 head is going to have a few bad cases each year. A really good vet is going to see a few bad cases each day. A cattleman with 1000 head is not going to have time to help everyone who has trivial issues day in and day out.

How many cattle does Pres. Bush have down in Crawford ? I don't think numbers are the best indicator of knowledge because I seriously doubt that he's pullin' very many calves or doctorin' much pink eye.

Bullbuyer":2bxbky3b said:
How many cattle does Pres. Bush have down in Crawford ? I don't think numbers are the best indicator of knowledge because I seriously doubt that he's pullin' very many calves or doctorin' much pink eye.

He's not a "cattleman".

Has anyone ever been in the middle of plowing and get one of those emergency calls? You shut down and you are almost out of daylight only to find out a calf was born and someone is appalled that the cow is eating the afterbirth? Will it kill her? Can you come look and see if everything is okay? It is right then that I give thanks that I am not considered a cattle guru. Then you have those who want to borrow equipment to do everything, don't know how to use it and often damage it. I can't afford those kind of friends. I have neighbors I help and they do likewise. Sometimes I am beholding and some times they are. They know the cost of equipment and they know not to shut you down in the middle of a project over a trivial issue.

Call the vet. Go buy some equipment, just atleast a little.

lol.. you're right.. none of the cows in Crawford belong to W. He leases the land for grazing.

I can understand the young man not wanting to start "practicing" being a vet by helping out someone that knows his dad is one! And ABSOLUTELY yes, everyone has gotten "sue crazy". I promise you if something went wrong with someone he was trying to help out, they would hold him responsible. Problem with most everything anymore.. wanting to blame someone else. Just his knowledge makes it dangerous! If I help someone with a C section and the cow dies (which would certainly happen, since I've never done one before) I'm not a "knowledgeable person", and it would be much harder to hold me responsible.

:lol: My vet is also a cattleman-- raises and shows his own.
Had a bull calf ( about 500 lbs) that had been on the recieving
end of several rectal rapes by his pasturemates. The rectum was prolasped badly. The vet amputated part of it and stitched him up. The calf recieved antibotics, was vaccinated,
was castrated, kept at the clinic for 5 days--- the bill was
$70.00. :heart: ( love that vet! )

holly heifer":3oi4fxbc said:
:lol: My vet is also a cattleman-- raises and shows his own.
Had a bull calf ( about 500 lbs) that had been on the recieving
end of several rectal rapes by his pasturemates. The rectum was prolasped badly. The vet amputated part of it and stitched him up. The calf recieved antibotics, was vaccinated,
was castrated, kept at the clinic for 5 days--- the bill was
$70.00. :heart: ( love that vet! )
Sounds like your blessed with one of the good ones.

P.S. You dont raise your cattle close to a place called "Brokeback Mountain" by any chance :?:

Without hessitation, I would call the guy with the real world, day in, day out experience. Older, experienced farmers are an outstanding resource for information and help.

Latest posts